Sign in to follow this  
wyobob

new find-1929 Dodge 1/2 ton

Found this in a junk yard. Appears to be a 1929 Dodge "merchants express' 1/2 ton pickup. Has the 4 cyl Plymouth "Silverdome" engine. Needs a lot ,but especially wooden wheels- has 20 " tires, will any other wheels fit? also needs steering column.

post-50233-143139190479_thumb.jpg

You can make anything fit but I would try and locate the correct wheels for the truck. Do you have any more pictures?

Wyobob, Nice find. I have a 1931 3/4 Ton we are currently restoring. I would love to get some detailed photos of the pickup box you have as we are recreating the one for my truck. I have most of the steel parts, but really interested in the cross members and detail from the outside of the box along the frame. -George

IN A JUNK YARD!!! Don't people know that vehicles like that should be in a garage with a blanket on it.

Stutzman Wheel Shop in Baltic, Ohio has new wood wheels for that truck. Cheaper than searching !

What a great find! I could do with a pick up like that.

How on earth did it escape the attentions of the rat rod rat bags?

Ray.

It's pretty easy to hide stuff in Wyoming!

Numerous articles in pervious issues of the "Dodge Club News" for the "merchants express". I have a copy of the 2012 reprint of the "Offical Guide to DB and GB Trucks thru 1938.

This a good refference for these trucks

Would you sell the "offical Guide to DB Trucks" ?

This is my only copy that I purchased last year from the DB Club.

If you are not a member of the the Dodge Bros Club it would be of benifit to join by contacting www.dodgebrothersclub.org. The order form for the guide was on the last page of the bi-monthly newsletter.

Hello Robert, as per our e-mails I did a bit of digging. According to the D.B G.B Master parts book 21-34 wheel and hub assy for the 29 M.E S.E would have carried a part # of 517319 and rear 517321.

I looked within the D.B 14-34 Master parts book just to see if that would cross over to something else and it did not, I then looked within the D.B Truck ( 29-39 ) 3 volume Master Truck book and the number did not appear, apparently the number was superseded at some point and without knowing your trucks serial number I can go much further into this because there was at least a late and early style.

I then used the wheel assy less hub and drum part # 517321 Front and 517322 rear and performed the same search with same results on all counts.

I guess you need to find that serial number, left frame rail, toward the front spring shackle, someone sent me an excellent image of that, maybe it was George or maybe Sherman I am not sure but I can try and find it if need be.

Are the wheels useless, they did not look bad in the pictures you sent me, will you consider having them rebuilt?

I am at this point leery to suggest that the wheels may have been used on auto at any point so they may be very hard to locate if that is still the plan. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for looking, I will probably have to have mine rebuilt as the rim has rusted through and some spokes are going bad where it sat on the ground for years. I also saw the serial # location on this forum not long ago, but I can't find anything but an"8" which is about 1 inch high on the left frame rail. I will continue to search for some numbers.

No problem, when you have the chance to measure the W.B do so and post your results, we will see how those measurements fit into the puzzle. I will post some specs when I get a second of the SE

Hello Bob, where are you finding these numbers........also 5-16 and 301074 with a 3 beneath

Those numbers are on the head (the 5-16 and the 301074 with a 3 beneath) The engine number is on a boss on the upper left corner of the block (the # starting with U T )

Not sure if you found it, but your frame serial number should be located on the frame, drivers side, just behind the front spring mount. -George

I have looked everywhere on both sides of the frame and cannot find any numbers, thanks for the info (it made me go look again just now)

Found this in a junk yard. Appears to be a 1929 Dodge "merchants express' 1/2 ton pickup. Has the 4 cyl Plymouth "Silverdome" engine. Needs a lot ,but especially wooden wheels- has 20 " tires, will any other wheels fit? also needs steering column.

I the wheels off a '31 or '32 Series F10 (1/2 PU) and also a set of a '28 or '29 (for a car).

Some where I had the info about the bearing sizes in the hubs pertaining to what car they fit, but I seem to recall that the hub (outter

bearing race) sizes were the same, but it's been years since I looked into it, so may be foggy on it.]

Anyway, if you want to discuss the wheels I have, give me a shout.

PS

The only serial number on my Series F10 was on the engine side of the firewall on a plate, never could find one on my frame.

Hi Bob, as promised, hope you plan to keep this thread going as you progress on your fact finding mission, if you would like the color version ( really only B.W still with a yellowed background ) let me know.

D.B manufactured these in 4 and 6 cyl. I am working on putting together a facts sheet for these early trucks, off the top of my head I do not think that the 4 and 6 were manufactured at the same time, I think that there were months of space between the two engine options regardless of the easily misconstrued/evasive information found within the D.B Master parts list.

I would and am at this point working on the numbers to verify this so dont take that as fact just yet.

This is an SE by the way in case you were not aware. Have fun

post-48869-143139202709_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks for the info, I learn a little every day. I really appreciate all the replys and ideas from everyone.

Bob,

Here is a photo of where the serial number is on my 1931 3/4 ton express. This is driver side, front spring. Starts around the rivet. It is in the same location on both my 30 and 31 Trucks. It was hard to find even though I knew where it was. I used a small hand wire brush and some wd40. Care must be taken to raise as if you sand or sand blast this area you could destroy the number. Not exactly sure if you 29 would be in the same place, but thought this photo might help.

post-69599-143139203002_thumb.jpg