Need Help IDing

Guest denny_W121

#9 is a 1960 LeSabre 2-dr. sedan; #12 is a 1950 Buick Special fastback; #13 is a 1964 Chrysler Newport. #15 is a 1956 Buick Special or Century; 16 is a 1957 Special 4-dr. hardtop; #20 is a 1941 Buick; 21 is a 1964 Falcon Futura, 24 is a 1940 Pontiac, 26 is a 1955 Buick, 27 is a 1950 Buick, 28 is a 1941 Buick, 29 is a 1955 Pontiac (possibly '56), 30 is a 1953 Buick, 31 is the '64 Falcon again...this will get you started.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest denny_W121
Are these cars in Germany or stateside?

These cars are stateside. I'll be stationed in germany for another 8 months then it's game on with my pulling fun!

Guest denny_W121
All you need is a chainsaw and you're in business.

So that's the choice outside BUT WHAT'S INSIDE THE HUGE SHED you can see in some of the photos!

The Huge barn in the background is an old chicken barn that's empty. There is another barn were that has cars in it but right now the snakes are hanging out in there and she doesn't want to go in there to take pictures...lol Come winter time I'll get pics of what's in the barn.

Guest denny_W121
DENNY, number 7 is a 1941 Roadmaster. Good choice, if you take this one home.

Is it a 41 Roadmaster? The rear fenders look smaller on the car in Pic 7 then the Roadmaster. Also the the marking on the truck says Buick Eight. IDK, all I do know is no matter what vehicle I decide to pull out of there and save I am in the right place to improve my knowledge on these gems.

Wow, definitely some nice cars, but looks like a field of triple digit debt. Too bad she wants you to restore and keep em, and not sell some. Some would make a good down payment on work required to restore one or two of em. Others have what appears to be some nice chrome which would also finance restoration efforts.

If it comes to pass that you can sell some of these things, I'd start with the trucks, if at all salvageable. Those would probably sell quickly. That 2 door Falcon would sell quick too, and then you could go back for a nice project.

Good luck.

BTW, save # 6 for yourself. I understand the rear axle is practically a bolt in operation to replace the torque tube drive shaft and rear end on just about any one of the Buicks in the pictures. This would allow you to put a more modern transmission into one of them with less work. Think the 60 Buick 2 door.... Just sayin

Guest denny_W121
Wow, definitely some nice cars, but looks like a field of triple digit debt. Too bad she wants you to restore and keep em, and not sell some. Some would make a good down payment on work required to restore one or two of em. Others have what appears to be some nice chrome which would also finance restoration efforts.

If it comes to pass that you can sell some of these things, I'd start with the trucks, if at all salvageable. Those would probably sell quickly. That 2 door Falcon would sell quick too, and then you could go back for a nice project.

Good luck.

BTW, save # 6 for yourself. I understand the rear axle is practically a bolt in operation to replace the torque tube drive shaft and rear end on just about any one of the Buicks in the pictures. This would allow you to put a more modern transmission into one of them with less work. Think the 60 Buick 2 door.... Just sayin

#6? My wife does love that C-10, she wants an old pickup so I might pull it for her. Gotta keep momma happy, it makes projects easy to finance when she's happy...lol

I think I've convinced my friend to sell most of them in the future after I get out there and get more info on them all. But I have also been talking with her about restoring them one at a time and selling them off once their done. So only the future will tell what happens.

The 60 Buick? Oh the white one in Pic #9. Allot of ppl have been telling me that. I would prefer one of the bigger 4 doors.

Great job with the identification guys!

Nice pictures and nice opportunity; however, thats kinda like saying here you can have my pet tiger but you have to sleep with it if you take it. :)I'd tally up the estimated restoration cost of one car and present it to your friend. It will be obvious that restoring may not be the best option. Those are some excellent parts cars that would help alot of folks and enable many cars/projects to be completed and put on the road if they were saved and parted.

• 4 months later...
Guest denny_W121

I've got 4 months left in Germany now and getting very excited on getting over to her farm to get more pictures and doing a good inspections on what salvagable and whats partable.

• 3 months later...
Guest denny_W121

I'm getting ready to leave germany in a few weeks, and I'm going to make a trip to her farm to get more detailed pictures and write down as much info on each of the vehicles as possible. To hopefully help me choose my next project and help some of these cars/parts get to the right people that will restore them or finish their current restoration. Any advice to what info or numbers I need?

Denny.

I got out of the Navy in November 1971 and had a whole string of cars like those. Most never got finished, however I have had some really nice cars. The best cars I have owned were the ones I paid a fair market value for. The bargains always were passed on to a new owner in short order.

The most valuable thing I learned was that each car in those pictures you have needs an average of 300 $100 jobs. Don't let your wife do the math on that one! And the math always works.

In 1971 we couldn't get online. Today I could see myself at the Charleston, SC naval base running thins search: Cars Trucks | eBay , might have to copy/paste.

That is all the Ebay cars from 1934 to 1965 priced between $4,000 and $8,000- Buy It Now. That is a sweet spot for a buyer. You can buy up to $16,000 in someone's investment, not counting labor, and be driving tomorrow.

When you are young learn to maintain cars. When you are old learn to buy someone else's work.

If you'd like a real nice white '60 Electra 4 door send me a PM (10 years of my work). I'm considering a reduction.

Bernie

Guest denny_W121

Bernie,

Thank you for the advise but I like to build the car myself. I just get more satifaction out of it when I drive it and see the family in it. I've got my Nova and my Sprint Car to have fun with until this next project is done.

The Huge barn in the background is an old chicken barn that's empty. There is another barn were that has cars in it but right now the snakes are hanging out in there and she doesn't want to go in there to take pictures...lol Come winter time I'll get pics of what's in the barn.

I think I would bide my time to see what the barn had to offer. But, if there is nothing in the barn of mention I would attempt to find two cars of the same model year. Select the best of the two. Use the second as a donor.

Guest denny_W121
I think I would bide my time to see what the barn had to offer. But, if there is nothing in the barn of mention I would attempt to find two cars of the same model year. Select the best of the two. Use the second as a donor.

Definately what I had in mind, thats why I need to get out there and get more and better info on everything.

• 4 months later...
Guest denny_W121

Ok guys, Now that I'm settled into our new place in Southern IL. I'm headed to my friends farm to get more intel on all these classics she has. Besides getting VIN's and taking pictures is there anything else I should look for or document?

Dennis

Dennis, try to get a picture of the frame/undercarriage on the one or two you plan to pull. Also see if you can open the trunk and get a picture of the floor. Have you thought about which car you would like to have from this group? I think the 60 LeSabre is a two door, and would be a great car, but chances are it has no floors left by this point, so that would be a major undertaking. It also looks like the 53 is a two door. Same problem with the floors but that car would probably be easiest to resell if it is a 2 dr hardtop.

I'm sure the interiors are toast in all of these. Be careful about poking around the interiors too much. Chances are there are mouse nests in there and you don't want to be dealing with a hantavirus from those guys.

Also take pictures of the engine compartments. Especially if parts appear to be missing. Some of these things will be a challenge to find.

And make sure you get model insignias so you'll know what you are looking at later on. That 53 looks like a Super, but could easily be a Special. Two radically different cars that look alike.

Good luck!

Guest denny_W121

I made it to my friends farm and spent all day taking pictures and getting what ID numbers I can. Here is a link to my Photo bucket so you all can view the pictures, There was allot of Buicks out there. Feel free to post or comment on the photo's. Someone told me that the Buick Wildcat that's out there is the most rare. Fill me in, I'm going to pull one or two to restore.

http://s669.photobucket.com/user/denny_w121/library/?sort=3&page=1

Edited by denny_W121 (see edit history)

Some way cool stuff. Whether or not they are worth saving depends on the size of the wallet involved and the ability to do work on them.

The one identified as Buick Eight is a 1941. The hood release latches on the side of the fender should say which model. The Buick Special on page 3 is a 1950 and would be a great car...the styling is just cool. The Wildcat convertible is 1965 - there were just over 4600 of the base and Deluxe versions built. The Super on page 5 is a 1951.

I know I'd enjoy taking a stroll on that property just for kicks....