1940 Oldsmobile 4 door convertible

AlexH

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an FYI. Mike Fusick recently donated his 1940 Phaeton to the RE Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing, MI and it is a real beauty! Mike is a super guy and I know the Museum is honored to be the recipient of such a rare and fine example. Love the removable "B" pillar.

1355890503_1940OldsPhaeton.jpg.1577717fddaed9c17eb76864fcd751d9.jpg

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

If I hold my hand over the picture of the blue conv sedan to just see the body from the windshield back it is exactly the same as my 1940 Buick Roadmaster.

these are GREAT cars , impeccable build by G.M. , and if lower mileage without wear the doors click closed like a bank vault or a sedan. In discussion over the decades with owners ( mostly Cadillacs) the biggest "wear" issue is that the windows in the doors get a bit wiggly/floppy because the tracks get worn and the weight in the "up" position without a full door frame around to carry the weight eventually can be seen with the movement of the top of the window. A lower mileage car does not have this at all.

It is not often that you see this body style on any of the G.M. chassis that shared the same coachwork.

• Like 3

Dave

I would like to see any of these "B" body conv sedans on any chassis. Last time I saw one in person was in Ga. at the Savannah CCCA annual meeting years ago. Great guy named Bob F.  from Florida had his 40 Cadillac conv sedan there.  we spend a lot of time discussing the similarities of the bodies that were on the 1940 G,M. marques. Wonderful conversation . Parts numbers are the same on many of the components for the bodies are exactly the same across the board. This includes the front seat handle you use to adjust the seat!

Walt

16 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Were all the GM convertible sedans farmed out to Brunn?

Craig

No, Brunn was not equipped for the volume these GM convertible sedans required.  Only one 1941 Buick Limited convertible sedan was built by Brunn.  Here is the Body by Fisher plate for a 1941 Buick Roadmaster convertible sedan.

'41 Buick Roadmaster 4dr conv MN t.jpg

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

No, Brunn was not equipped for the volume these GM convertible sedans required.  Here is the Body by Fisher plate for a 1941 Buick Roadmaster convertible sedan.

Thanks.

They weren't 'high volume', either, and being the nature of convertible sedans, plus the amount of more labor involved in building them.  The '50's Buick & Oldsmobile wagon bodies were farmed out to Ionia Body division of Mitchell-Bentley, for example.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

I have that 40 4 door convertible in my garage.  It is undergoing a complete restoration and it has been a difficult one. The body has so must rust I have been almost building a new body. It was hit hard in the rear many years ago and someone put a complete rear body clip on it up to the rear doors. Probably from that 4 door the previous owner mentioned. A few things were not lined up properly when it was done, and I am having to redo a lot of it. It is very challenging for me as an untrained back yard kind of guy. Progress is being made slowly. Bob Petters

IMG_20210328_150921144.jpg

IMG_20210703_152239166.jpg

IMG_20210509_172449006.jpg

IMG_20221019_133856468.jpg

IMG_20230623_141020712.jpg

Edited by Bob Petters
The floor and body are now done, after 2 years, and on to the rest of the sheet metal. (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Bob, looks like you have quite a job ahead of you, keep at and you will have one beautiful car when finished. Reminds me of when I restored my Trans Am it was in similar condition. I only had the body shell on the rotisserie and my brother walked into the shop, looked around and everything scattered every where and said "I sure hope you know how to put this thing back together". Turned around and left without saying anything else. The truth was I thought the same thing everyday I was working on it, but his voice uttering that lone sentence in my head was my inspiration to get it back together.

• Like 2

Bob, I so admire your efforts and patience to make this wonderful car a reality again , the way it was when new.  All of us will benefit from your work - please keep us up on the progress and explain what you are doing with photos just the way Joe Puleo is doing for his early Mitchell car. This is what preservation and history is all about. This is what AACA is about.

• Like 5

Bob Petters:

Since you are well into the restoration of this rare C-Body convertible sedan, perhaps you can enlighten us on how Fisher Body utilized the volume stamping to construct these bodies.  For reference, here are profile views of the B-Body fastback sedan, the C-Body touring sedan and the C-Body convertible sedan.  It appears that the rear clip of the C-Body touring sedan was mated to the rear doors of the B-Body sedan and a filler stamping/upper door jamb was added to the C-Body rear clip.  Your insight will be greatly appreciated when you have time to respond.

Steve

'40 B-Body comparion a.jpg

'40 C-Body comparion a.jpg

'40 C-Body comparion b.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Bob Petters:

Since you are well into the restoration of this rare C-Body convertible sedan, perhaps you can enlighten us on how Fisher Body utilized the volume stamping to construct these bodies.  For reference, here are profile views of the B-Body fastback sedan, the C-Body touring sedan and the C-Body convertible sedan.  It appears that the rear clip of the C-Body touring sedan was mated to the rear doors of the B-Body sedan and a filler stamping/upper door jamb was added to the C-Body rear clip.  Your insight will be greatly appreciated when you have time to respond.

Steve

'40 B-Body comparion a.jpg

'40 C-Body comparion a.jpg

'40 C-Body comparion b.jpg

Here is a body A_B_C? that confuses some people

1941 Pontiac Silver Streak (CC-381634) for sale in Arlington, Texas

Just now, Pfeil said:

Here is a body A_B_C? that confuses some people

1941 Pontiac Silver Streak (CC-381634) for sale in Arlington, Texas

That is the A-Body which had the same body architecture as the Torpedo C-Body but was proportioned for the shorter chassis of the following:

1941-'42 Buick Special 40A-Series, Special Torpedo four door sedan, Model 47.

1941-'42 Pontiac Model JA, Ia, Metropolitan Torpedo four door sedan, Job 2569

1941-'42 Oldsmobile Series 60, Torpedo Special, four door Town Sedan, Job 3569

1941-'42-'46-'47-'48 Chevrolet, Model AH, BH, DK, EK, FK, Fleetline, Torpedo, Sportmaster four door sedan, Job 1069 

Interesting enough, although these shared the same cowl structure as the popular six-window A-Body touring sedans, all other panels were unique to these sedans.  The 1940-'41 Torpedo C-Bodies proved so popular GM developed these to take market advantage by adding to each of the makes sedan choices.  Among these, though, the six-window sedans still outsold this new style by wide margins.   

• Like 2

Do not have any insight into what GM did with the mixing of the body panels. Buick & Olds shared the same rear fender in 1940 on the 90 series and the super as well as the trunk lid and rear body panel and rocker panels. I am using the 1940 Buick super as my guide in putting my Olds back together. It has been a real Humpty-Dumpty thing for the past year. Here is a picture of the 1940 that Mike Fusick had for 25 years and now is in the Oldsmobile museum in Lansing. 

L40 phaeton 4.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob Petters said:

Do not have any insight into what GM did with the mixing of the body panels. Buick & Olds shared the same rear fender in 1940 on the 90 series and the super as well as the trunk lid and rear body panel and rocker panels. I am using the 1940 Buick super as my guide in putting my Olds back together. It has been a real Humpty-Dumpty thing for the past year. Here is a picture of the 1940 that Mike Fusick had for 25 years and now is in the Oldsmobile museum in Lansing. 

L40 phaeton 4.jpg

Bob:

What might be the most revealing about how these bodies were built would be photos inside the top well next to the rear door jambs to see if a section was grafted onto the C-Body rear clip that allowed the B-Body rear doors to mate up.  The tops of the door shells should look somewhat hand-worked and body leaded where the upper door stampings were sheared off to become half-doors.  There may also be heavy casting bracing pieces attached to the rear wheelhouses, the B-pillars and front cowl to help maintain rigidity and door alignments in the open body.   Whatever you can show us will be enlightening and appreciated.

Steve