Some DB fans will find this of interest...

Guest Fast Four Special

Guest 1930
The whole story makes me glad that I don't have a fast four engine. They are buying up all the blocks they can!

Question is how many have they blowed up

Guest Fast Four Special
Question is how many have they blowed up

Two to date, but we hope to have that problem solved for this year. Getting 240 HP out of a 84-year old banger stresses things a bit.

On the bright side for the purists out there, every engine we have stripped, we have GIVEN the parts to DB enthusiasts all across the world.

If anyone needs a cylinder head, pistons, manifolds, etc. send me a PM and I'll get them to you free of charge if you pay shipping.

Also, if it makes you feel better, no complete cars were destroyed in the creation of the race car. It started with a rusted out body shell and an engine off an old buck rake.

In addition, we are hardcore Mopar afficianatos with a few dozen bone stock Mopars from the 20s to 50s between us.

Didn't plan on offending anyone, just thought a Dodge forum would find interest in a vintage DB putting the wood to a class dominated by Ford bangers for the past 64 years.

Cheers! :D

An interesting group of characters for sure. It sure looks like fun! I've got to get out there for Speed Week one of these days. I did drive out there once a few years ago while on a business trip to SLC. It was in July or August and it was hard to even open your eyes on the salt it was so bright. It was fun to get the rental car out there (a Caddy CTS no less)... hee hee..

Guest Fast Four Special
Quite remarkable and yet essentially futile.

Precisely why I said "Some" DB fans...

Cheers ;)

As I said "quite remarkable".

The "futility" is that in order to keep breaking records fewer and fewer original Dodge parts will be incorporated - to the point where it no longer resembles what it is supposed to be. So long as everyone is having fun - who cares?

Ray.

Guest Fast Four Special
As I said "quite remarkable".

The "futility" is that in order to keep breaking records fewer and fewer original Dodge parts will be incorporated - to the point where it no longer resembles what it is supposed to be. So long as everyone is having fun - who cares?

Ray.

The Vintage Falthead Four engine class requires a stock production engine block of US manufacture from 1928-1938. Bore centers, cam location, deck height, etc must remain as produced.

The body, hood, grill, rear fenders, must remain stock and unmodified for the Street Roadster Class. The car must retain headlights, tail lights and a horn.

This is the oldest class at Bonneville. We are the first non-Ford banger to set records in the 64 year history of the event.

Thanks for your interest!

I think there is nothing like the discipline of a 'formula' to concentrate the mind. That no - one has broken the Ford monopoly for so long and that the answer was there all the time is something which these guys must take credit for. To achieve what they have - and on a budget too - is really quite remarkable.

One question I have is: why is there a 'six' badge on the front ? (have you got 2 cylinders we don't know about???):D

Ray.

Guest Fast Four Special

Thanks for the kind words all. It's a fun project, and keeps the wheels grinding 51 weeks a year. Ray, for reference, the first year we ran we took the old Ford record from 98.6 MPH to 108 MPH on our first-ever run. We've gone 140.3 to date. Maybe I'm wrong, but being the innovators they were (not to mention some animosity towards Henry) I think John and Horace would approve!

Not only do I agree with the notion that John and Horace would have approved but although we will never know, I like to think that if they had been granted a longer life, they would have done a similar thing themselves - if only to remind old Henry who it was that provided him with the means for his success.

Ray.

Of course, If the brothers had survived for say, another 10 years, then (assuming they did not become hopeless alchoholics) it is doubtful that the 'fast four' would have been introduced. The Dillon Read years and Walter Chrysler merger would not have happened and the company would not have made the same mistake as Ford in persisting with an outdated car and incompetent management from the likes of Wilmer. If the lads had survived, they could have matched the success of the Model T - after all, they supplied Ford with the first 500,000.! Who knows?

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Fast Four Special

Thanks for your support! We went 137 MPH in a different class (Blown Gas Modified Roadster) the following day, but a steam pocket under the exhaust valves didn't allow us to back up the sixth record. The modifications we made to the motor this year were game-changing, and we truly believe 150 MPH is possible for next year! Plans for a second car, probably a coupe, are also in the works. See you on the salt!

I found both of those times listed; thanks for explaining why the faster time didn't take the record higher. The rules are so tough on you guys. I also hadn't realised how many teams are entering these days!

You sure need some nerves to go at those speeds in that special - it would scare the hell out of me !

As a small boy I was permitted to sit behind the wheel of the 1930 'Golden Arrow' at our National Motor Museum where this beautiful LSR car still resides alongside Cambell's Bluebird. The experience was an honour bestowed on me by Lord Montague of Beaulieu and is something which I will always cherish.

Ray.

Guest Fast Four Special

Ray,

If your "down run" is faster than the existing record in the class, you qualify to "back up" the record the following morning. Your car then goes to impound where you are given 4 hours to prepare it for the following morning. Then at dawn the next day, usually after only a couple of hours of anxious sleep, you run again for your "record run". The new record, assuming you run well, is then the average of the two runs in the same measured mile. If you set a new record, your car then goes to tech where the car is inspected, the engine displacement is measured, and the record is made official.

There are a bunch of photos here ~ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Montana-Dodge-Boys-Fast-Four-Special/45553878706?ref=hl

Yes, there were a record number of entries (including another Dodge four cylinder!) and spectators this year. The sport started to fizzle a bit in the 80s and 90s but the resurgance of traditional hot rods has created a new generation of guys interested in making vintage tin go fast.

The racers of the '30-'50s... no helmets, fire suits, roll cages, etc... now those guys had cojones!

Thanks for your support!

I think this is the first time that original photos of Dodge Brothers specials and race cars have been posted here. Have you any others? I would be interested to know where and when the races took place and if there is any interest in historic Dodge specials? I am not talking about hot rods or custom but essentially all Dodge specials and race cars like in those pictures.

We have a saying over here that American hot rods go fast in a straight line but our specials go fast through the bends! Your special goes fast on the straight, that's for sure!

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Guest Fast Four Special
I think this is the first time that original photos of Dodge Brothers specials and race cars have been posted here. Have you any others? I would be interested to know where and when the races took place and if there is any interest in historic Dodge specials? I am not talking about hot rods or custom but essentially all Dodge specials and race cars like in those pictures.

We have a saying over here that American hot rods go fast in a straight line but our specials go fast through the bends! Your special goes fast on the straight, that's for sure!

Cheers,

Ray.

Not so fast Ray! Brits aren't the only guys who like their specials to go through the bends. Ever heard of Max Balchowsky, Briggs Cunningham, Frank Kurtis, or Carroll Shelby? Did you know Wally Parks (founder of Hot rod Magazine and the NHRA) put a Ford V8-60 in his MGTD and roadraced it in his early years? Contrary to modern belief, many traditional American "Hot Rods", especially pre-war, pre-dry lake era, and/or drag racing were adept at the bends as well. Don't get me started! ;)

As far as those fantastic vintage Dodge racing photos are concerned, they are the only ones I know of. They were sent to me from a buddy in California.

And for the record, I do plan on buiding my own Fast Four powered DB speedster someday. Maybe I'll get invited to Goodwood and show y'all a thing or two! :eek:

More power to you Montana Boys.... Oh I forgot you already have heaps of that.

How about a D.A. for the 6 cylinder flathead class if they have one?

Your story reminds me from Oz about the Kiwi who built the Indian and took it to Bonneville and did what you did by breaking m/c records on a

home built.

If you haven't seen "The world's fastest Indian" do yourselves a favour and do so.

Good luck at the 'races' then bring it to Lake Gairdner South Australia and try out our salt.

Beetles D.A. Utility (pick up) D.P.Brougham. and too many Dodge projects.

Not so fast Ray! Brits aren't the only guys who like their specials to go through the bends. Ever heard of Max Balchowsky, Briggs Cunningham, Frank Kurtis, or Carroll Shelby? Did you know Wally Parks (founder of Hot rod Magazine and the NHRA) put a Ford V8-60 in his MGTD and roadraced it in his early years? Contrary to modern belief, many traditional American "Hot Rods", especially pre-war, pre-dry lake era, and/or drag racing were adept at the bends as well. Don't get me started! ;)

As far as those fantastic vintage Dodge racing photos are concerned, they are the only ones I know of. They were sent to me from a buddy in California.

And for the record, I do plan on buiding my own Fast Four powered DB speedster someday. Maybe I'll get invited to Goodwood and show y'all a thing or two! :eek:

I was only joking, mate! It's just that most of your hot rods couldn't hold a candle to a well sorted British special on the track! When you get to Donnington with the speedster our guys will be happy to leave you behind after the first corner!:rolleyes:

Ray