need advice on preserving a Plate topper (Paint)

jim5618

I got this plate topper for my car (1932) and would like to maintain it in it's current "patina". I heard somewhere the idea of spraying patina with flat clear to preserve it.... in this case wouldn't the flaking paint still peel off? I don't want to cover it plastic or any thing. Any suggestions?

post-70991-143139072187_thumb.jpg

I got this plate topper for my car (1932) and would like to maintain it in it's current "patina". I heard somewhere the idea of spraying patina with flat clear to preserve it.... in this case wouldn't the flaking paint still peel off? I don't want to cover it plastic or any thing. Any suggestions?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143077[/ATTACH]

If you put any type of coating on it, by definition, you will have destroyed it's natural "patina". At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it................Bob

I've used vegetible in the past with good results. A cautious wipe with a soft rag with Canola or similar vegetible oil will stabilize the remaining paint and lift the colour a little. It's the only thing I have seen recommended for use on old signwritten and enamel signs

Add my vote also for the light oil coating, it's really the best way to preserve any antique finish without altering it and you get the added benefit of preventing further deterioration. The type of oil recommended varies from lanolin, which I hear is among the best, to veggie oils and coconut oil which has an extremely low melting point, 76 degrees, so it works in well at hand temperature. Spray oil if possible by loading into a spray bottle you buy at Home Depot or a beauty supply shop if you don't have one laying around, then "dab" it with a no-lint microfiber cloth so you don't remove any more paint. I even go so far as to buy brown cloths in case paint chips, burrs or cracks in wood veneer on some items pick up a tiny fuzz-like strand, you don't have to go in hunting them all down with tweezers since brown is almost invisible.

Any clear coat will eventually turn yellow or itself peel or flake off.

Jim, nice find. I have a small collection of these as well. I will tell you they were not made with the same paint quality as a car for example, or as rugged as a porcelean sign. I acquired an NOS tydol sign last year and made the mistake of trying to soak it in lukewarm water to release some of the goo and original wrapping paper on it - that actually softened the thin, cheap paint on it! That said, aside from potential unintended ill effects, preservation efforts such as clear coating it will ruin the originality for collectors, these are not like our cars - gas and oil guys tend to shun repainted/altered stuff.. :)

I would follow Jetbacks & Marrs advice or do nothing. Sometimes I have been successful with lukewarm water, mild soap and a toothbrush to clean off some of the dirt from years but based on your pic I would be inclined to leave it pretty much as is. If you are not out in extreme weather, or piliing on the miles you probably won't see too much more deterioration anyway.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

.....If you display it on your car, do so only while at the show and not while driving. .....

At official AACA Meets that kind of plate should be removed while the vehicle is being judged. It would be at least a one point deduction as non-authentic to the vehicle "as it could have come from the factory". If left on it could also garner an additional point deduction for condition. No sense giving away even so much as one point.

But it is a great find. :)

At official AACA Meets that kind of plate should be removed while the vehicle is being judged. No sense giving away even so much as one point.

... Unless your goal is to show a really neat piece of automobilia, and trophy collecting is not your sport. Then, leave it on, by all means. Cool item. I've never seen that particular version before. I have a "Repeal" plate (two different kinds, actually).

By the way, Susan. In Shelbyville, I did as you recommended and entered my car and had it judged, as opposed to "do not judge". I think the judges were a little upset at me for wasting their time. I think I'll enter it as "do not judge" from now on.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

At official AACA Meets that kind of plate should be removed while the vehicle is being judged. It would be at least a one point deduction as non-authentic to the vehicle "as it could have come from the factory". If left on it could also garner an additional point deduction for condition. No sense giving away even so much as one point.

If I am down to worrying about the one point deductions I will be doing good. how many points off if one side of the engine is black and the other is green? :)

I am not a collector of plates, just wanted a cool period correct one for the car. If my wife don't catch me she has olive oil in a hand pump bottle..... I don't care about original etc, just like it to look old.

.......................... If my wife don't catch me she has olive oil in a hand pump bottle..... I don't care about original etc, just like it to look old.

See my picture left!:P

Jim, do as you like. That's the cool thing about a free country! You only have to please yourself!:D

.....Jim, do as you like. That's the cool thing about a free country! You only have to please yourself!:D

Amen. :)

I just wanted to give him the heads-up about the judging so that if the one point would keep him away from an award he wanted he wouldn't give that one point, or more, away. :rolleyes:

....By the way, Susan. In Shelbyville, I did as you recommended and entered my car and had it judged, as opposed to "do not judge". I think the judges were a little upset at me for wasting their time. I think I'll enter it as "do not judge" from now on.

Hey, you took a shot at it. I didn't realize you had the car there or I would have made a point of going to see it. But I was pleased to get to see you. :)

Amen. :)

I just wanted to give him the heads-up about the judging so that if the one point would keep him away from an award he wanted he wouldn't give that one point, or more, away. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the advice. In a couple of years I will be worrying about the one point deductions. Right now it would need to be torn down and repainted and a new interior to begin to get close to an award.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the advice. In a couple of years I will be worrying about the one point deductions. Right now it would need to be torn down and repainted and a new interior to begin to get close to an award.

And until you decide to do that, and you may never want to, enjoy the heck out of it. :D

And, to give a little advice to the OP, there's a preservation product originally developed for marine applications. It is called OWATROL. Highly recommended for this type of purpose, and for protecting unrestored HPOF vehicles.

OWATROL - Products with a proven track record

West, of the MANY products that the Owatrol company offers, which one would you recommend for this application?