I THINK YOU'LL AGREE THIS IS WEIRD

Guest PIKESPEAKING

Guest PIKESPEAKING

IN AN ATTEMPT TO FIRE A RECENTLY RESCUED 1926 CHANDLER PIKES PEAK ENGINE MY BROTHER AND I RAN INTO THIS REALLY WEIRD OIL PUMP PROBLEM. KNOWING CHANDLER PUMPS ARE USUALLY JUNK WE DECIDED TO TAKE THIS ONE APART TO MAKE SURE IT WOULD PUMP OIL BEFORE WE WENT ANY FURTHER. THE PERSON THAT SOLD ME THE ENGINE CLAIMED IT HAD BEEN IN STORAGE FOR DECADES. LOOK AT THE PICTURE OF THE GASKET BETWEEN THE TOP AND BOTTOM HALF OF THE PUMP. THIS IS AS WE FOUND IT . LOOK CLOSELY AND YOU CAN SEE THE PUMP GEARS BEHIND THE GASKET. CHECKING FURTHER WE FOUND THE PUMP TO BE JUNK AND THE PROJECT GROUND TO A HALT.

post-62249-143138992611_thumb.jpg

When I was a kid, I used to make gaskets from cereal box material all the time. Carburetor, transmission, differential, water pump, etc.

A little coat of chassis grease, spread with the fingers before installation and your good to go. Never a problem if done right. I guess I am the only one to admit to it.

I learned the trick from an old man that once used a piece of his belt to repair a connecting rod bearing on the side of the road.

Just a few years ago I used to make gaskets for turbine steam pumps for a power boiler at a pulp mill, from gasket material that cost hundreds of dollars a foot.

I guess the old fellow taught me something.

One day a lion will appear from a Frosted Flake box.

Bill H

A little black grease on the flange or body needing a gasket, press it on whatever material will be the gasket to make a perfect imprint and a pair of scissors. Now you have a gasket. I do it all the time. Carb gasket for my 1924 Willys? No problem.

what does this mean?:confused:

Internet lingo, we'll bring you guys up to speed kicking and screaming if needed. :)

"A win" = Cool idea, complete success, etc.

"X2" = Times two, ie: multiplied because it's so awesome.

In other words, Good show old chap!

Guest shadetree77

Agreed. That would make a good display piece. I would even go so far as to put it in a glass or plexi box with a wooden base. Did anyone notice the blood on the tips of their swords? There appears to be some kind of liquid(possibly more blood)coming out from Hitler's hat and from Mussolini's hand. Looking closely, Mussolini might be tipping a blood-filled hat as well. It's hard to tell. Quite a poignant political cartoon. I would love to see the full version of this. I like this find for another reason as well. Sometimes when I'm working on my own car, I feel like an archaeologist of sorts. Seeing something like this confirms that feeling. Great find and thanks for sharing!