Teves is leaking

Seth Rose

Hey guys my teves unit started leaking around the electric motor and have replaced the seal around the end of the motor to no avail. So I was reading on here about switching the teves out for a vaccum system off of the same year of Riviera. This seems like a good idea for me as I don't have to deal with the high maintenance involved with the teves and I don't really care if I have ABS or not. Now I have a few questions like what are you supposed to do with the wiring? And is it true that the Rivera had 2 lines that ran to the back? Honestly if someone could show me a link that has the details of the swap that would be great. Thanks for any information guys.

thanks for the quick reply. Did you mean extend the line to the rear? So what you saying is run the line thats not connected to anything to the back so the rear would have two lines right? My next question is if you blocked off the line that isn't connected to anything could you just hook the other to the already existing line on the car that runs to the back?

The original Teves units aren't that much maintenance. Yes the accumulators go bad after about 10 years and you may have trouble with the pump or the pressure switch going bad but all three are available.

I have tested good pump/motors available and also pressure switches. Accumulators can be purchased on Amazon.com

The only maintenance involved is it is very important to change all the brake fluid about every five years and the only reason the pump motors go bad is because a person stays with a bad accumulator too long and that causes the motor to run more often than it should and then wears out faster.

It is a lot easier to stay with the Teves and replace the pump than to get a regular system off a Riviera and convert over.

does anybody have a gm part number for the pump motor and pressure switch?

also , it is taking a long time for the yellow for the abs to go off on the dash....is the problem with the accumulator...pump motor ....or the pressure switch?

thanks in advance.

gryfan

1990 coupe

103,000 miles.

The yellow ABS lamp really doesn't have anything to do with the pump, accumulator, or pressure switch; the red BRAKE lamp warns you of those.

Define 'long time for the ABS lamp to go out'.

yes, the red light is also almost a minute before it goes out.

gryfan

Sounds like the accumulator is getting bad. The part number is on my website. The part number for the switch is there also.

thanks ronnie....i'll check it out.

if the accumulator is going should the pump motor and pressure switch be replaced at the same time?

gryfan

Before you pull the trigger and start replacing parts........ any chance the resevoir is overfilled and fluid is running down the side and it "looks like" it is coming from the pump.

Note on the side of the resevoir ......there is a mark for the fluid level when the system is pressurized (with the key ON, let the pump run until it shuts off, then check the level)

If the level is higher than the mark, you need to remove fluid.

Err, I thought the mark was for after you pumped 25 times with the key off. With the key on it drops (and how much it drops is an indicator of how good the accumulator is, good one is 1/2", bad accumulator is more)

Nick,

Do the accumulator test and that will tell you if the pump is running too long or too often.

It sounds like your system is working correctly other than the lights going off slowly. I have to disagree with Harry though, if the nitrogen pressure is low in the accumulator the pump has to run longer to shut off first the red light and then the yellow light. The accumulator stores 2600 pounds of pressure and as the pressure builds up the pressure switch sees this rising pressure and when it gets near 2600 pounds the computers through the pressure switch will first shut off the red light. The pump continues to run building more pressure and then the yellow light goes out. The pump will run a little longer after that and then the pressure switch will shut off the pump.

The best place to get a new accumulator is on Amazon.com. I am sure you do not need a pressure switch or a pump but if you do I can send you one no charge.

Jim

Err, I thought the mark was for after you pumped 25 times with the key off. With the key on it drops (and how much it drops is an indicator of how good the accumulator is, good one is 1/2", bad accumulator is more)

Barney must have had two left hands typing. :)

The fluid should be at the level mark after pumping the brake pedal 25 times with the key off. This actually is with a new accumulator. With a shot or bad accumulator I have had to pump the pedal up to 40 times to relieve all the pressure to open the system. Relieving the pressure is putting the fluid from the accumulator back into the reservoir.

Accumulators are $92.00 at Amazon. Not a bad price considering I paid $120+ a few weeks ago. Might be worth buying one just to keep around.

On a side not, since the performance of the accumulator reflects on the longevity/reliability of the pump, wouldn't it be wise to change the accumulator every five years or 25,000 miles (arbitrary numbers)?

Nick,

Do the accumulator test and that will tell you if the pump is running too long or too often.

It sounds like your system is working correctly other than the lights going off slowly. I have to disagree with Harry though, if the nitrogen pressure is low in the accumulator the pump has to run longer to shut off first the red light and then the yellow light. The accumulator stores 2600 pounds of pressure and as the pressure builds up the pressure switch sees this rising pressure and when it gets near 2600 pounds the computers through the pressure switch will first shut off the red light. The pump continues to run building more pressure and then the yellow light goes out. The pump will run a little longer after that and then the pressure switch will shut off the pump.

The best place to get a new accumulator is on Amazon.com. I am sure you do not need a pressure switch or a pump but if you do I can send you one no charge.

Jim

I'll take that pump and switch!

Wait... I'm not Nick and not a Viking fan. I guess that puts me out...

Accumulators are $92.00 at Amazon. Not a bad price considering I paid $120+ a few weeks ago. Might be worth buying one just to keep around.

On a side not, since the performance of the accumulator reflects on the longevity/reliability of the pump, wouldn't it be wise to change the accumulator every five years or 25,000 miles (arbitrary numbers)?

I replaced two in October of 2011 at the cost of $140 each.. :mad:

Agree, that is a great price. Bet it goes up after a few orders come in.
You could be right but since I put the store on my website the price on accumulators has been in the $90-100 range.

The prices on my website are automatically updated so the price on my website should always be the current price. Right now the price is $91.03. I bought my last accumulator about 4 years ago and had to pay $114 + high shipping which totaled about $131.00. $91.03 is a great deal on these accumulators.