Tom Mix Cord

Booreatta

I think that is neat. It is more of a historical artifact this way. The only shame is that AACA does not have a judging class for such a historical artifact. That fact could cause some famous cars that might be discovered to be restored, instead, to original factory condition. I support original factory condition for most cars, but there should be some kind of special consideration for a famous car, restored to the condition it was when it belonged to its famous owner.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

I did see this vehicle at the Glenmoor Gathering in Canton, Ohio last September; the article was also insightful. The Cords have to be my favorite pre-war automobile, as its styling so distinctive when compared to the cars of the day, plus its obvious influence on the designers of the 1966 Olds Toronado.

It is an interesting question posed about "celebrity" cars, or those of a certain distinct provenance, and how exactly the AACA would or even could "define" them in terms of any sort of "class" that they could belong in. I certainly would love to see, and not think it is out of place, that the Mix Cord adorn the showfield at Fall Hershey, but then it poses the question of "where do you draw the line", when it comes to celebrity affectations on a particular vehicle?

Not making a case one way or the other, just trying to add to the hopefully friendly discussion here. Would a vehicle such as Elvis Presley's 1960 Cadillac Limousine (currently housed at the Country Music Hall Of Fame in Nashville), primarily stock in its outward appearance, but with it's gold-plated accessories, including things such as a television set, shoe-shiner, and mini-refrigerator and icebox, be "car-sona non-grata" at such a venue? Or, something even more garish yet historical in the eyes of many, the Beatles' "psychedelic" 1965 Rolls-Royce? Certainly, there would have to be some sort of "qualifiers" that would either rule "in" or rule "out" such a vehicle, if there would be any sort of class for them to begin with.

Lest there be any mistake, anyone who knows me can tell you I am a purist to a fault, but also realize that, sometimes there are some extenuating factors when it comes to these vehicles we treasure and hold in such esteem.

Harley Earl's '58 Cadillac "Rain Car", also comes to mind...

To further Earl's statement, there is also no place for judging certain concept cars produced by a company not associated with the main manufacturer.

We photographed the Cord during the Glenmoor Gathering weekend. We also photographed the Railton (behind the Cord in Barry's photo) and featured it in the previous issue.

post-33613-143138823134_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Steve sent some people a website for a whole bunch of movie stars and their cars last week. Most of the cars were ordinary cars, some high quality, some not, some customized, some not. For all intents and purposes, somebody may own a Presidental Lincoln, Cadillac or whatever, that is armor laden. Famous cars of famous people are an important part of American history. It would seem, if the car could be proven to be the "one in the same car" and not a mockup; or even a prototype car like the 1938 Buick Y-Job, then there should be a special place for it. Maybe it shouldn't be judged, as we do our normal competition cars, but perhaps judged for the authenticity of detail in bringing it to the exact standard where it was, i.e. the Cord, when the famous person owned it. Just proving it was "the very same car" would be quite a test for the owner, don't you think? That would be the place to draw the line, rather than by year of manufacture.

............I'm sure, though, that the fine line of "hot rodding" comes into play whenever this subject is brought up.

Ahhh, memories of "Class 37"!;)

The "class" could be set up like the race car class, with proven history, including pictures and substantiated backup material.

But.........

Folks, this would be a slippery slope, but as West said, it would be very popular with the public. Can you imagine the advertizing value of an upcoming meet with famous vehicles like these?

Wayne

Barry,

How about Class 29?

SPECIFIED PRESTIGE VEHICLES 1946-1986

(Class 29)

Post war vehicles built to appeal to the upscale buyer in style, material, and quality. The cost

was usually well above the manufacturer’s standard production line and may have only had

a small production run. The Prestige Class is a post war extension and continuation of many

of the vehicles in the pre war Specified Classic Classes plus additional makes and models. A

petition for acceptance into Class 29 must be submitted to the Vice President-Class Judging

with supporting documentation and information.

The formatting won't let me do a clean cut and paste but the Lincoln Continental Mark II is listed among the vehicles in this class.

Wayne,

Yes it is a slippery slope. This sounds an awful lot like the "Movie Car" Class discussion. I don't think that there is any practical way to define this class either. I would think that the best way for the owner of such a modified car would be to enter it in the most appropriate class as a Do Not Judge, and enjoy discussing it with the spectators.

Barry,

You could petition for inclusion in Class 29. Since the Mark II is already specifically listed, and you have documentation of Ford Authorizing the conversion, it would seem to me that there would be a pretty good chance to have it included in Class 29. All it would cost would be a few photocopies, writing a letter, and paying for a postage stamp. Not to much of an expense wasted if you did not prevail.

And if SPECIFIED PRESTIGE VEHICLES 1946-1986 is not exclusive enough for you, you could petition for inclusion in Class 35.

DESIGNATED LIMITED PRODUCTION, PROTOTYPE AND EXPERIMENTAL VEHICLES

(Class 35a)

Vehicles having a minimum of four cylinders, 75 horsepower, and a wheelbase of 100 inches. All three requirements must be met or exceeded to be included in this class. All other vehicles not meeting this criteria will be placed in 35b.

1954 Dodge Fire Arrow, 1956-57 El Morocco,

1967 Fitch Firebird, 1962-70 Iso Ri Volta, 1954-

55 Kurtis 500M, 1956 Nash Ambassador (Pinin

Farina), 1951-54 Nash Healey, 1948 Tucker,

1955 Chrysler Imperial Convertible. 1953-1954

Kaiser-Darrin, 1974-76 Bricklin SV-1, 1957

Berkeley SE328, 1954 Plymouth Bemont, 1951-

54 Muntz Jet, 1948 Dodge Derham Coupe,

1936 Ford Deluxe Sedan (Allegheny Ludlum

Stainelss Steel), 1954 Hudson Jet Convertible,

1954 Maverick, 1965-85 Avanti II, 1954 Buick

Landau, 1959 Pontiac Catalina Safari pickup.

(Class 35b)

Vehicles which do not meet or exceed all three requirements of 4 cylinder, 75 horsepower, and a wheelbase of 100 inches.

1948-49 Keller, Bugatti (bodied to the

specifications of Bugatti only), 1981-83 Delorean

DMC-12, 1961-68 Amphicar, 1984 Pontiac Fiero

Indy Pace Car Prototype.

Competition models of specified Classic, Prestige or Limited Production, Prototype and

Experimental vehicles will be entered in the proper competition class.

Other makes of Classic, Prestige, or Limited Production, Prototype and Experimental

vehicles may be accepted in these categories by individual model upon written application

with adequate documentation submitted to the Vice President-Class Judging for review by the AACA Class Judging Committee. A recommendation for approval must be ratified by the AACA Board of Directors.

The cars we speak of here would be well suited to be displayed unjudged, by the museum, in an exclusive setting perhaps on the show field but not necessarily. I'd be inclined to include such oddities as the Plymouth buried 25 years, double ended cars such as the Airflow I once saw in Staunton, Va in the '50's, (if it still exits), the Bugatti raised from the depths with one side eaten away, shucks, throw in that dug up heavily rusted Cord body from the ACD Museum too, Batmobiles, as well as celebrity cars like the Mix Cord, and don't forget the Bohman & Swartz Cord once owned by Herb Shriner, comissioned by Rust Heintz. All carefully selected of course. Too bad that huge wooden Studebaker from their proving grounds doesn't still exist.

Tom Mix truly defined individual

He did just about all of his own stunts ...

He lived what some may say was a ' hard life ' ...

He died speeding down the road - the way he lived :cool:

One of a kind - just like his Cord

No point in ' judging ' his Cord - either you like it or you don't

But - you have to give respect to a man who lived his life to the fullest

Jim ;)

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Truly, the problem with your point of view is that you're providing now venue for JoeAverage Member to view, appreciate and enjoy the remarkable fact that the car has survived, and been restored back to the condition in which Tom Mix enjoyed it. Having a place on the showfield, with recognition to the owner/restorer, would significantly enhance this remarkable fete. In other words, "the phoenix rises from the dust to again exist as it was."