What's up with all the spam???

dalef62

Guest Jim_Edwards
Not that I know of. I have alerted PeterG about this.

I have a feeling that the new web site will eliminate most of this.

Wayne

Knowing it's not your responsibility the only way to reduce the SPAM is to alter the nature of registration to the requiring the entry of random characters by the registrant as a part of the process. As it is there is little to discourage or prevent the SPAMMERS from becoming forum members. Of course it would not be unreasonable to require a valid AACA membership number and/or a valid membership number from a participating brand club to be able to post but in a single newcomer's forum in my opinion.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Not that I know of. I have alerted PeterG about this.

I have a feeling that the new web site will eliminate most of this.

Wayne

We have the little red flag in the low left corner to alert. right? I clicked it to get rid of the "handbag" spammer. He/she was gone in no time.

Folks,we all have been deleteing this agressive spammer. Our technical people have been on it since 10 AM. We have gone over the scenario of using member numbers but for a variety of reasons that is not feasible for us. These discussions are buried somewhere in past threads. In any case, we normally can keep up with the spam guys but the one today was mighty insistent and watching us closely...every time we would ban him he came back a few minutes later.

Might want to limit the number of posts per minute or hour a new member could make to a small number (maybe 1 per hour) for the first couple of days of registration... Don't know if that is possible using the current forum software.

Login and/or registration with a Captcha could help against spammers but might be a hassle for members. I had to disable the reCaptcha on a couple of sites I run when too many legitimate members complained that they were having problems with it.

Edited by ply33
fix typo (see edit history)

I RBPed (red flag on lower left) some of them 10 hours ago (was early evening my time: mid day in India). I look at "Welcome to our newest member". 5 I noted with suspect names were banned.

The moderaters do a very good job here keeping this under control. They seem to get 24 hour coverage even though all in USA.

In another forum I use, signature with links are not allowed until xx posts and links in newbie posts do not post until checked.

[its 07:00 Saturday morning in Aust now]

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Without knowing the ips used have you tried to ban the entire subnet used by this spammer?

For example if his ip was: 64.92.123.001

Ban anyone using 64.92.123.001 through 192.168.123.255

...are the IP's used random or from the same node?

These are likely auto bot spam scripts that keep hammering away and not an individual.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

I think that some additional IP banning software may be the easiest way to fix it. I know that there is a forum software change coming. I do not know if that will include any such software capability or not. Personally, I have done a little bit of research on some software capabilities that I am planning to discuss with our Webmaster.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)