My Wife's 1968 Wildcat convt

Buicknutty

Yes the metal repairs are looking good if no one minds me saying so!

It was a shame to cut the other one up, but having it made me able to do those repairs as there's no way I could have done as good work trying to fabricate everything myself. 

Thank you very much Sebastian!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well Folks as I expected work has been slow on the Wildcat this month, and even less due to doing some work on our travel trailer. Sheesh, I'm not even going anywhere in it, but we've been cleaning it sorting a few things out most of the week. It's not an oldie but it has sat unused since 2021. We got away once during the pandemic, and not since.

Maybe if I get the Wildcat on the road in a month or so, I'll take Fall trip up North to see the colours and moose.

To that end I got the fender re primed in epoxy after all the body work on it, along with a couple of other little pieces.

One really interesting thing once we cleaned all the gunk off of the back of the tail lights was some bits of white over spray. The only time I think it was painted white was way back when she was being built at the factory.

Also I got a side marker light in and working, then a tail light assembly. The original and it looks shabby compared to my nice fresh paint! However it fits and works and it fairly easy to change out later. Right now I'm back into a bit of a rush as my mechanics have decided to wrap up their safety check early as the Ont Gov't is restricting the forms and documents necessary in light of upcoming changes due Jan 1.

Though I want to get the tougher things done nicely so I don't have to much redo work to do. To use that over-wrought expression, "Been there, Done that"!

CatFendPrimed.jpg.98350110689cb0a26f5e0af12568512f.jpgCatSideLight.jpg.d146285739a03d71961ef661fb199776.jpgCatTailight.jpg.b726b9803b58cb168c5262aaed7a8527.jpgCatTailightBack.jpg.2b7bed2ddf6b58063a3936265663635a.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

May I ask who you used?  The pieces look good.

A company called Cambridge Custom Chrome which isn't too far away an hour's drive. I used them for a few pieces on the '41 also. The quality has always been very good. They also did the bumper for me earlier in the year.

4 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

you did a very nice job on the buick fender, your buick is almost finished ! :) 

Thank you Sebastien! It's getting there! Now we can soon put the windows back in!

On that subject the relay had gone bad and we recently got a new one and new it looks like they will work again.

• Like 1

Also, I've been asked to speak at the Buicks on the Bricks in Flint Mich in a couple of weeks so we ordered the top and related seals and parts to be delivered to my friend's place for me to pick up.

So far so good! Some parts have arrived, we are waiting for the top itself and they promised it there by Aug 15.

This way I can import it myself and save on shipping and a bit on taxes as I'll have an allowance of $800. to bring back with me. Shipping to Canada for this was going to be several hundred dollars.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Also, I've been asked to speak at the Buicks on the Bricks in Flint Mich in a couple of weeks...

Congratulations!  What's the subject of your presentation?

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 1:49 AM, Buicknutty said:

Also, I've been asked to speak at the Buicks on the Bricks in Flint Mich in a couple of weeks so we ordered the top and related seals and parts to be delivered to my friend's place for me to pick up.

So far so good! Some parts have arrived, we are waiting for the top itself and they promised it there by Aug 15.

This way I can import it myself and save on shipping and a bit on taxes as I'll have an allowance of $800. to bring back with me. Shipping to Canada for this was going to be several hundred dollars.

Send us pictures when you are at this Buick exhibition ! :) 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 10:02 AM, EmTee said:

Congratulations!  What's the subject of your presentation?

I was asked to do something about the Canadian connection, so I've called it Cars, Canada, and the McLaughlins.

• Like 2

Yesterday was exciting! Well it was for us, as we got the right side door lock and latch in place and everything is working and fitting well. Not Everything, as the windows aren't yet in it, but it was great to see these on the car again, and looking so much better!

CatDorrHandle1.jpg.7439e7609ae1eafcde1057e4c55c89d3.jpgCatDorrHandle2.jpg.ef42da186a1ad2a44e0e610950efb5fb.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Yesterday was exciting! Well it was for us, as we got the right side door lock and latch in place and everything is working and fitting well. Not Everything, as the windows aren't yet in it, but it was great to see these on the car again, and looking so much better!

CatDorrHandle1.jpg.7439e7609ae1eafcde1057e4c55c89d3.jpgCatDorrHandle2.jpg.ef42da186a1ad2a44e0e610950efb5fb.jpg

I follow your work but maybe I missed it. After painting did you wet sand and compound the car?  Thanks

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GARY F said:

I follow your work but maybe I missed it. After painting did you wet sand and compound the car?  Thanks

Yes, but not to a full glass like finish, mostly to rid it of a few imperfections and a bit of dust. 

Though I find I like the look of the it after it has been buffed a bit. Tough work with my arthritic hands though so I only do a bit at a time.

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon I finally did the clear coat, and I think it turned out fairly well. I was spraying the base the night before and finished it about 10 PM, then I was going to go out in an hour to do the clear, but I was tired so I left it till the next day so I'd be fresher.

Nothing worse than messing up on the last stage of something.

It all set up without bugs or must dust at all, and I'll leave it for a few days to harden some more and hopefully put it on the car on Sunday, then the rest of my family will be here on Monday and we will put the hood on it. Now that will be scary as I don't want to scratch things up!

Today I think we will put the back bumper on, which now might be the worst part of the car, as with everything we've spent money on we choose not to get it replated at this time. It's not horrible, but it will look shabby compared to the rest of the car.

Our judgment was it is fairly easy to get on and off, so we will get it done over the winter.

The middle u joints are quite bad and I just got replacements so I'll get that off to take to a mechanic friend and have him change them whilst I continue with the reassembly work. It's a job I could do, but I'm doing it this way so that I can continue with the work only I can do and my buddy is a highly competent mechanic and is willing to help out on this. He is also the one who will be writing the safety certificate for the car once its' ready.

CatFendPaintFrnt.jpg.f6ca63439184db3a457a9b73830bb8de.jpgCatFendPaintFull.jpg.c0c0015d0119c9b14a8fe5a2fb97b305.jpgCatFendPaintTop.jpg.4ea9043a4a6e61e573793f7e1d16b542.jpg

• Like 5

Great color!  It really pops.  Can't wait to see it all put together.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Gents! We have been putting a few things together today, and as seems to the normal, little things take a long time, then a wire into the right front window switch connector broke on us.

Then we've had a few similar issues with rear harness, which at one time not so long ago everything worked. My son has got most of the bugaboos out of that.

We got the door latch and related components on the left side and the door closes and latches quite nicely.

This evening we are going to put that fender on as tomorrow my son in law is going to be here for a while so hopefully we will get the hood installed tomorrow.

It will be fabulous to have all the major body panels back on the car, fingers and toes crossed as we used to say when we were kids!

It's a big day for my son and helper on this project as he turns 24 tomorrow!

I remember that birthday well as I thought on the following year I'm going to be a whole 1/4 century old, too scary!!!

Sheesh big deal Eh, now I'm not too far off the 3/4 century mark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Sheesh big deal Eh, now I'm not too far off the 3/4 century mark.

I made that mark in May of this year!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

What with so much going on with the trip to Flint and a few other things going on I haven't had a chance to update this thread.

We did indeed get the left front fender on though my son in law wasn't available to put the hood on, so it's still standing up by the wall.

Whilst I was in Flint getting me and the Electra nice and wet my son got a few little things done on the Wildcat. There are a few little wiring issues on the Cat and he is particularly good at sorting out things like this out.

We took advantage of the trip to Flint and my good friends by ordering the top and having shipped to my friend's place in Flint. This way I can import it myself and also offset some of the import duties with my $800 exemption. To that end I had to make sure I was in US over 48 hours so I could get the full amount, then I had to pay our nice reasonable 13% tax on the difference.

The supplier we choose were the "Convertible Top Guys" and they did great by getting all the pieces to Flint well before I was due to arrive.

My friend brought out all the packages as if it were Christmas! I did open everything up to make sure all looked good, and it did. 

Once home (after a nice donation of $180. to our federal gov't) I unpacked the top itself and we laid it out over the car to make sure it all looked good, and it looks great!

CatFrntFend1.jpg.7b723c718fac2fcd8dd0fec9685529ed.jpgCatFrntFend2.jpg.5c52d5b86e8db2abebb85fbe5a66380d.jpgCatTop1.jpg.00ea7d29b0f788a9e7e8bb9344c98c99.jpgCatTop2.jpg.e73c6c84e722f19bc83ed3baada36212.jpgCatTop3.jpg.0f2e8f68fddc26524eb85f2c7363f655.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

This is really coming along Keith. Can't wait to see it completed. It must be very satisfying to accomplish such nice work.

Yes, it's starting to feel that way, finally! Just having the new top draped across the old looks great, even though it needs a lot of install and other work done.

Hopefully a few more weeks and it will be able to go out on the road for the first time in nearly 40 years!

• Like 2

Thank you very much Sebastien!

Just a non photo update for all those who have been following this thread. My goal in the first part of the week was to get all the glass, regulators, and new door weatherstripping in and working properly. So far, I'm at three out of the four and with some family commitments in the offing this weekend I'm not at all sure I'll get the last one done today.

Everything has been quite the struggle, simple sounding though it is, not so much in execution. I'm also polishing the related stainless pieces as I go. The good thing is apart from a bad connector my son took care of last weekend and another small electrical gremlin all the window motors have come back to life!

Pictures next time I promise!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a some time today so I was able to get the right door glass installed! However I suppose I jinxed myself by saying how well all the windows were coming back to life, as this one didn't work when tested. It's something in the circuit as the motor works off of another location, so I went ahead and put it in and we'll get the circuit sorted out.

They will all need adjusting for proper fit and there's still some weatherstripping to put on. My son has a few days off so my helper is back so hopefully we can start to build up the front lighting and bumper this week.

CatWindows1.jpg.7cd453aca09deb76de77b7c69cc26ddb.jpgCatWindows2.jpg.eb0ee4f86a2c8f7ebbb9e6bb74e14bbe.jpg

• Like 5

A bit more work on the 'Cat today. After a bit of investigation it seems the culprit for the inoperative window was a bad ground. AwesomeI I like the easy answers!

Then we ran through and tested all of them on the individual switches and off of the master (again) and everything worked!

Next we decided to get the trim which goes around the front side marker lights installed. We have a few for each side, the left was pretty good with only a small dent, then a buffing and it looked good. The right was making the best out of a poor lot.

I took me about three hours working with some custom made brass dolly bars to work the long dent and scrap out of it, file down the high spots, then sand with progressively higher grits till 2500, then buffed.

The scrap is not not perfected removed, but it is barely noticeable now and being at the bottom one would have to get down on their hand and knees to see the remaining imperfections. More than good enough for our goal of a good driver.

I also cleaned and painted a few of the bits which hold the grille and other pieces on. Hopefully tomorrow I'll put that stuff on and start to get the headlights on.

Unfortunately the grille is still original so it's going to look shabby with the nice paint and show chrome quality bumper. We will address that shortcoming later.

CatStainTrimOrig.jpg.ce5b81f6f821dbb032e52869178ce7b6.jpgCatStainTrimOrig2.jpg.2306f2b70f9aa9922dad5f96d022799e.jpgCatStainStraight.jpg.49ba1b7c0bc9575f0c07e300b1f4374a.jpgCatStainPolish1.jpg.d36561206a24225718151726e6c3a151.jpgCatStainLightLft.jpg.75ca135df815c476d67e219819bf95d1.jpgCatSideLightOn.jpg.1d2781317ef5fc976d9c738c4d594c0b.jpgCatMarkerStaininstall.jpg.8acdb7ff493427f7a681db3819d07b55.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

There's been a bunch of small things getting done, including cleaning and polishing the front end pieces trying to make them as presentable as possible and in a lot of cases they have come quite nice.

Tonight we put the right side headlights and grille one, and the lights still work, high and low beams. The floor switch was really stuck as I suppose it's been many decades since it used, as I'm not sure I tried it before I took all apart. Anyway after a few uses it freed up nicely.

My son in law will be coming out on the weekend so hopefully we will get the hood on!

That will be awesome to finally see, but I'll take the grille off to make it easier to put the hood on, so unfortunately this is only temporary. This way we can verify that everything is fitting and will go on and work. Then it will be the front bumper!!!

However I'm not a very good crystal ball reader so I make no predictions!

CatGrilleLight.jpg.6b79652c620cc874d3c8ab2997f1dc15.jpgCatGrilleLighton1.jpg.3eb93f225577f38d7ab54aa09295be79.jpgCatGrilleLington2.jpg.26f73b3ba9048f484ffc2abc48159888.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

This grille is beautiful ! :) 

12 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Up close it isn't so beautiful

At least it looks good from France. I've heard of cars being described as "20-footers" but your 3,800-miler might be a record!

Seriously though, you're doing a wonderful job and I can't wait to see the finished product and to learn that it's back on the road.

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

You could mask and re-paint the black and argent areas, but that would consume lots of time to do correctly.  Time and effort is better spent getting the car reassembled as you're doing.  The grilles can always be removed and detailed, or replaced with better ones later.

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

You could mask and re-paint the black and argent areas, but that would consume lots of time to do correctly.  Time and effort is better spent getting the car reassembled as you're doing.  The grilles can always be removed and detailed, or replaced with better ones later.

I did this with my 67 Grill and headlight surrounds. It did take quite a while to mask everything after cleaning (using 1/4” masking tape) but it made a massive difference to the front end of the car!

You’re doing an impressive job so far and I know you want it back on the road, so the grill is something you could tackle later as the pieces are relatively easy to remove. 

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 3