My Wife's 1968 Wildcat convt

Buicknutty

20 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

I think you made the right decision ;) , I too would have decided to repair the original wing, that way you can be sure that it will fit well :) .  
I think that once sanded it will be fine, there seems to be damage just on the bottom of the wing (especially on the reinforcement).
If you wanted to paint the car before finishing repairing the fender, keep some of the paint you used to avoid having a color difference when you go to paint the repair fender.
But I see that's what you said too ;)
Good luck, you're doing a good job, I can't wait to see this beautiful Buick painted :) 

Oh My, me too! I've got family coming over on our Holiday Monday (Victoria Day) so hopefully we can get the rest of the final sanding done, then paint maybe Wed Thurs, Fri?

I hate making predictions as I'm wrong so many times but I will feel so much better once I have some of that beautiful colour on it!

• Like 1

Sorry folks no pictures again today, but with the extra helper we got almost everything sanded to #600. Only a few small sections remain to do, and a bit more on the right front fender, which hopefully will be all done tomorrow.

Then we need to get it running again, well it will help rather than having to push it from one bay to the other, not sure we have to ready manpower for that.

Next it's the cleanup and masking, all the prep to turn the garage into a paint booth for a time.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

...all the prep to turn the garage into a paint booth for a time.

I'd love to see some pictures of your makeshift spray booth when the time comes!  ;)

• Like 1

Progress is being made on several fronts over the last few days on the 'Cat. As I said I was trying to get everything ready for paint whilst the fender was off at the sandblaster. So almost concurrently at the end of the week I was ready to paint the jams on the car and the doors as once they are together it's pretty much impossible to get at everything, though a lot of the front section is covered I still want it to look decent.

Then we started piecing the new dual exhaust system we got from Waldron's a few months ago.

All in a day for a guy with ADHD! Ni kidding.

The sandblaster gent called me right after the fender was done, so I went to get it right away. There was some serious rain in the forecast so I want to get it so I could get it epoxy primed before the rain hit us the next day.

The amazing thing was how good it looked after sandblasting. Basically there weren't any other surprises other than what I knew about. Still it will take a bunch of work to get it looking nice and to be sound again. I still think I'll need to cut the other fender to take the lower section and weld the skin and brace into the original one. This is liable to break my heart, but at least I have it.

The final paint on the jams came out fairly well I thought.

CatBlastFullFendTop.jpg.a779021ab61bd85470aeec1758564254.jpgCatFendBack1.jpg.eb638bf02d4389dc321d13966516f6bc.jpgCatBlastFendRustTop.jpg.65168e70f0d2f1028be568abc00d4425.jpgCatBlastFendCloseBot.jpg.63764b0d743130cb8dca549b9d8d837a.jpgCatBlastFendFullBack.jpg.20ad12ecd192163b848c53e7c7dbf22d.jpgCatFendPrime1.jpg.8ecac649eda2232d4fdbd7b3512a70af.jpgCatFendPrimeFull.jpg.304ffc8671b9536d630b49cc6d2bcb34.jpgCatDoorJam1.jpg.fd7c37428f06c6268c6dc77cfa4ad860.jpgCatFrntPaint.jpg.6efdb48aecd1cdfc8ed7fe02884d5a53.jpgCatJamBase.jpg.fb2d53708f53ea7e8924b6e6e4274ee1.jpg

CatFendBackClose.jpg

• Like 5

Superb work, well done! ;)
Some people think that a rusty car part is dead, but in reality when you sand a rusty car part you can see that it is in good condition.
I love the sandblaster, it makes a car part brand new even though it was rusty 15 minutes before ;)
This color is superb! , congratulations and good luck for the rest of the work on your beautiful Buick ! :) 

• Thanks 1

Well folks I started the paint work in earnest the other day. Everything in the garage was covered with plastic, and a fan in a far window which drew in filtered air, and it went out through a window near the car, as well as a tiny crack under the door.

This base is very transparent compared to others I've used and it's taking 4-5 coats of base to get good coverage. Talking with the paint guy at the store he says this seems to be typical for this paint. Right now this is what I'm using and I will get a nice result, it's just taking more paint than expected.

I've also had several people in my life pass of late and I was at an out of town funeral today and will be getting back into things tomorrow, but I did get the trunk lid cleared before I had to go, and it looks pretty nice though there are a few bits of dust in the surface which I'll wet sand out later.

Tomorrow I plan to spray another couple coats of base, then clear coat it in a couple of hours. Tomorrow's forecast is for a cool and slightly rainy day which will be good for painting I think.

GarageCat1.jpg.0ca784f7fd9a9a623c85abf852e9b04a.jpgGarageFan1.jpg.f818bd38a4eebadf1e0460c256572af3.jpgGaragePlastWind.jpg.faec53eccd1c99acf81974679fdc5ffb.jpgCarTrunkBase.jpg.eab524813e07049e79e88be603345bb6.jpgCatBodBase1.jpg.75eaaa63beefba138861cfab7d014461.jpgCatTrunkTopClear.jpg.43279cac2f9386e4700f24e999970ebd.jpg

• Like 3

Of course I'm all mixed up in my posts as this is some of putting the new exhaust system on before we took it off of the lift to move for painting.

The odd thing is the way the front pipes sit relative to each other, the left side is hanging lower and this is because of how it's coming off of the manifold.

At the back it needs a bit more finagling to get them even, but for now it will be fine. This is also the first time it will have run off of the gas tank for 15 years or so!

However getting it started was a chore and for a bit I thought I had a bad fuel pump (again) but it was a tiny leak at a connection way back along the frame which was drawing air. These are all new lines front to back, so it was completely dry or else the leak would have been more obvious.

Anyway once it was running, it ran great and the new exhaust system sounds great!

CatOutPrime.jpg.df264c688aee3df7ce0e2742c8c78a7e.jpgCatFrntPipe1.jpg.7dd1d081c225cfd3d4f1618c09e9aa72.jpgCatExhFront.jpg.82b11d4a3f3abe0a0155e1108be9fb7c.jpgCatMufflBack.jpg.846f0001366b372377757a5586e56ede.jpg

• Like 2

Keth, the paint job is coming along nicely!  I really like the color.  I do think it might be time to clean off the fan blades, though!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dship said:

Keth, the paint job is coming along nicely!  I really like the color.  I do think it might be time to clean off the fan blades, though!!

Oh so you can tell that I've used this fan more than once!

Thank you very much. I tweeked the colour in Photoshop to try to get close to the actual colour of the paint and it's fairly close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

superb work ! it is going well !! ;) 
Have you started working on repairing the front fender ?

Not yet, as I was so close to getting this done I decided I needed to do this part and see it looking beautiful again!

Then we will be away in the '41 Roadmaster for a few days at the end of this week, so I have to get it prepped. It has been running good, so hopefully it won;t take too much to get it ready for what will likely be about a 400-500 mile tour.

Well Folks, I got the body clear coated late this afternoon. The paint is set, though still soft of course. There's a bit more peal than I'd like on some parts of the sides and a few dust specks so I'll likely do a buffing later though for the most part I'm happy with the result.

The clear went on very nicely, but I can't say the same for the base. It is very transparent more so than base that I've used before. I put four coats on it and and there were still thin spots. So a few more passes and upon inspection finally everything looked right for the final stage.

Here are a few pics taken just after it was tack free from dust.

CatBackTopFinal.jpg.7a99693e011ae442daa28ef6d248442d.jpgCatQuartFinal1.jpg.7637e12244571ce7a0e86f38b097558b.jpgCatQuartFinal2.jpg.172a5a3f2d00f9c8a3a14d4497aee014.jpgCatRtFendFinal1.jpg.cfc6f0a039205dc0e6f9c489294f0a0f.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Then we will be away in the '41 Roadmaster for a few days at the end of this week, so I have to get it prepped. It has been running good, so hopefully it won;t take too much to get it ready for what will likely be about a 400-500 mile tour.

It’s going to be a great trip ! ;)

this new color on the Buick is very beautiful !! :wub:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Well Folks, I got the body clear coated late this afternoon. The paint is set, though still soft of course. There's a bit more peal than I'd like on some parts of the sides and a few dust specks so I'll likely do a buffing later though for the most part I'm happy with the result.

The clear went on very nicely, but I can't say the same for the base. It is very transparent more so than base that I've used before. I put four coats on it and and there were still thin spots. So a few more passes and upon inspection finally everything looked right for the final stage.

Here are a few pics taken just after it was tack free from dust.

CatBackTopFinal.jpg.7a99693e011ae442daa28ef6d248442d.jpgCatQuartFinal1.jpg.7637e12244571ce7a0e86f38b097558b.jpgCatQuartFinal2.jpg.172a5a3f2d00f9c8a3a14d4497aee014.jpgCatRtFendFinal1.jpg.cfc6f0a039205dc0e6f9c489294f0a0f.jpg

That is going to be fantastic! When sourcing a roof, if you do so, check if there may be a green one available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

That is going to be fantastic! When sourcing a roof, if you do so, check if there may be a green one available.

Thanks John! Yes we will definitely be needing a roof as the one on it is the original and it's in horrible condition.

Here is the car outside for the first time sporting it's new paint job. The rims and centres have also been cleaned, and this is the first time since we've owned it the centres have been on! Also I placed the new rear marker light in place for the picture.

The rims are not perfect by any means, the centres aren't bad but a couple of the inserts are going. All in all not too bad of a look but I just put them on for this photo op.

There's a lot of side trim which needs to be put on, plus the interior is still barren and the dash is very tired looking. So no shortage of work to do, not to mention the repairs on the left front fender engine detailing etc.

I'm off in the '41 Roadmaster for a extended weekend tour tomorrow morning so nothing will get done by me till sometime next week. My son is home so he is planning to do a few things in the meantime.

CatFullPaint.jpg.304b7a3310b96f041a524b42c3028c31.jpgCatQuartWheel.jpg.79da91d1b8581b9c9ac3b83b724a1344.jpgCatRtRearPaint.jpg.0ae7071d23b159395299e65a3fc75738.jpgCatSideEmblem.jpg.05267696e827bc180ecb5fb330deab38.jpg

• Like 8

Not too much to report this week, we are just going through things to get some of the electrics sorted. For some reason the thing which used to work don't now! What a surprise. It looks like the power window relay is bad but I have not been able to find the correct one, silly as it sounds.

I'm also considering getting some small parts plated, like the vent window frames and related parts.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1