New Sales Tactic - No Reserve!

MikeC5

I never have understood that and have questioned a couple of sellers with little luck in getting a legitamate explanation. No reserve means start the bidding at 10 cents, the lowest I think you can start on e-bay

Well, in this context, no reserve means give me x or more, and it'll be sold, but in reality the x is the reserve.

Now, I guess I'm being harsh, the paint looks good and car looks nice, but a top that won't go down, awful interior and stitching, and screwed on door panels....the trimmer in me says it needs some work...........

Looks like "gordy" from Sydney would! Not only that, he would buy TWO cars from him!

So it seems the Dodge went for something between $24,500.00 and $29,500,00! (At least that's what this last eBay auction was for.) The best it could do earlier from two other auction attempts was $27,000.00 first and then $17,900.00 with neither making the guy's "Reserve". He had it on his web sales page for $37,500.00 as I recall. And to top it off, the windshield was even in backward! Geez! :eek:

Edited by 1936 D2
correct spelling (see edit history)

I see the auction as being ended because the item is no longer available not because it sold

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available

0 Bids

Thats what I thought too, I was wondering where D-2 got the info he posted

Got the impression it was sold *(along with a second car) to "gordy in Sydney" considering some discussions in the questions and answers section of the auction linked at the top of this thread (#230673840231) pertaining to all this stuff. Apparently "gordy" got wise and nixed the deal so the seller relisted it "again"! It currently has one opening bid at $15,000.00. We'll see.... :rolleyes: Here is the public content of the "Questions" section of the auction I refer to: "Sep-17-11 Q: we got inspection back today from ssg they tell us very good,it the one to buy what is your last price will you help with shipping to sydney.he also look at your buick please give me last price on that one two as we can put in same container.gordy

A: very well gordy.please give me a call monday morning at 86*-55*-9**2 we will work it out,we would be glad to help get to port,do you know the price range of buick it is a very rare 58 limited 1 owner.we can talk monday and thanks again.and would you please send me a copy of report on dodge.steve"

(>>Suspiciously similar style to the question AND the answer. Hmmm...<<)

Also, considering this is listed as a "private listing - bidders' identities protected" style auction, the obvious question of shill bidding comes up! Hmmm... :P

Edited by 1936 D2
Added info (see edit history)

I have used Ebay a few times and I see that these no reserve auctions often end early for a couple of reasons. As I posted above it may have sold out of Ebay.

In addition you often see that it is for sale locally ect. The rules of Ebay allow

tat if it sells locally the auction can be ended. But it has to be ended with more than 24 hrs (I think) of ending.

This leaves the seller an out of a so called 'no reserve; auction if the bids are not going high enough the seller can simply state that the item is no longer available and end the auction. It would seem that this happens often as many of these items get relisted due to 'buyer not following thru' .

A simple scam.

And keeping with the idea of "to Reserve or not to Reserve?"...

Here is "Duke's" '36 4dr Touring Sedan in Iowa that first went out starting at $200.00 but had (apparently) a pretty high reserve - maybe around $8500.00.

Dodge - eBay (item 160650839741 end time Sep-18-11 18:41:11 PDT)

It got 1223 looks - had 8 bidders who bid up to a pretty high $6000.00 for a car without an original engine, radial tires, leaky top and missing trunk parts - but DIDN'T MEET RESERVE! Then:

Dodge | eBay (No Bids)

it was out a second time starting at $8500.00 and had 0 bidders out of 680 looks and was apparently put out with "No Reserve" (but unable to tell for sure with no bidders). No Sale! Hmmm... I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Dodge | eBay (Currently)

Now it is back out a third time starting at $6000.00 (the oddly high bid from the first auction) and as of October 7th around 3pm has 0 bidders from 95 looks. And again it may be out as a "No Reserve" but no way to know until there is a bid - and it sure won't be me when starting at $6000.00! ;)

So I wonder how it is all going to turn out. Let's watch!!! :cool:

This thing is STILL way too good to street rod though! Will cooler heads prevail?? Stand by for news! :D