REATTA DIVISION:: Possible calendar?

NCReatta

Not a bad idea there Marck. The issue is how the cars to be put in the calendar would be picked I suppose. Members would have to submit high quality images, but then do they have a lottery, a selection committee or what? Or perhaps if you want your car in the calendar, you do a buy-in, this would provide additional fund raising.

KDirk

Good idea, Marck. Might be a nice new product idea for East Coast Reatta Parts.

Maybe the early months would show '88s, followed by '89s. Summer month photos could be convertibles. Finishing off the year with '90s and '91s.

Guest blue72beetle

Monthly "theme photo" contest. 'Santa Reatta' for December, 'Valentines Reatta' for February, etc.

With the "themed approach" in mind, may I suggest that December should be a 91 white over red with Santa Claus in the driver's seat. Of course, a 1990 Select 60 would work too, but might look funny to have the top down in the winter (more temperate climates excepted). Could maybe even find some reindeer to put in the picture (but keep those antlers away from the Reatta).

KDirk

Padgett,

I would be happy to find those under my tree on Dec 25th! Of course, if I could choose only one....

To further the theme, maybe shoot the December pic of a white/red Reatta at a Christmas tree farm (douglass firs in the background) with the reindeer nearby. If the right location could be found, it would be a neat shot. Would be even better with snow, but you'd have to find someone willing to let their car be taken out for a photo shoot in those conditions.

For October, could do front-on shot of a black Reatta with the headlamps on, and backlight the lower grille somehow. Then it would have kind of a jack-o-lantern look to it. Photoshop in a huge full moon in the background. Or, perhaps use a 36" round dealer sign as the "moon".

Just some ideas.

KDirk

Wow, great ideas everyone!

Kevin, are you volunteering to use your white/red '91, and for you to be Santa Clause? ;):D

This would be a really fun project I think.. Themes would be even more fun. If anyone has any Glamour shots (themed or not), you can send me a high resolution copy (email below).

This should be fun, :D

Marck,

I wasn't necessarily nominating myself (or my car) for the Christmas shot (I wouldn't make much of a Santa, don't have the build for it, though I might be able to find a Santa stand in) but if this project develops and you need a white/flame red in a winter setting, I could probably do it - sans the reindeer anyway, as I have no connections for rental live-stock. Other problem is if it needs to be a snow setting, I would need to wait for some and that is rather unpredictable in St. Louis, even in winter.

I do have a 36" lighted dealer sign. If someone in or near St. Louis had a black coupe (which I think would be best) for an October shot like the one I suggested, I could supply the sign for the photo shoot. Of course, I could also supply a picture of just the sign on a black background, and it could be photo-shopped into a picture of any car. I think if the car could be photographed against a backdrop of a haunted-looking house, that would be a good setting for the month of October.

For a November shot, a car on the road with lots of autumn color would be nice. I seem to recall a photo from a magazine back when the Reatta was new (I have a copy of this somewhere) of a red coupe on a background of fall foliage. Could maybe do an updated version of this type of shot.

One other suggestion, it might be nice if the photos chosen listed the year, owner's name and location, unless some wish to remain anonymous.

KDirk

A couple of logistical things to think about...most of these calendars that are not put together professionally come out too late. If I am buying a calendar, I want to have it in my hands by December 31, otherwise it would need to be discounted. The photos need to be gathered, the calendar assembled and printed, advertising and distribution dealt with. If it would be a Reatta Division project, there is also the lead time to get something into the Bugle if that route were chosen.

Choosing the cars would be dependent ultimately on who is putting it together. In my mind, interesting shots of nice cars of varying configurations (colours) is probably more important than having the same representation for each year.

There's a local fellow that always puts on a Hallowe'en display and Christmas display on the front yard. One year, Santa's sleigh was his '65 Electra convertible. That was neat.

Good points on the timing of such a project. 2013 would be a good year, as it could be touted as a 25th anniversary calendar (since 1988 was the debut year for the Reatta).

This would probably be best handled as a BCA/Rdiv project, as it would be an awful lot of work to coordinate amongst a few volunteers here. As well, having exposure in the Bugle may help sell more of these, as the cost of production needs to be covered.

Just some thoughts.

KDirk

Interesting thread and some great ideas. The Reatta Division might be able to handle such a project, but I am not certain it would be worth the potential criticism about how selections were made. I also noted with interest the comment about the few volunteers on this forum. I am not sure everyone who reads and comments on the forum knows that the Reatta Division "staff" is essentially five volunteers. The Director, the Ass't Director, the Sec/Treas, the newsletter editor and the logo wear coordinator and several of us have more to do than we can say grace over. We also have a three member Advisory Board and a Nomination Committee which are also volunteers.

If there is enough interest expressed, we could at least talk about it.

• 2 months later...

Just bumping this thread again. I would really like to make it happen, but it will take participant from members here.

To start off, I will be gathering "Beauty Shots" of Reattas in different seasonal settings. Submissions can be send to me at Marck@EastCoastReattaParts.com.

Please make sure that the pictures are HIGH RESOULTION (preferably full resolution from your camera), and do not have the date stamp in one corner.

Please also include your full name, and city and state of residence.

If you would like, you can write a short paragraph or so on how you bought the car, how long you've owned it, options it has where you took the picture, etc. Please keep it 120 words or less.

So let's see them! This will be an on going project as the seasons change, so keep this going.

If multiple submissions are made for one season, I will email them to Bob Popyk (Reatta Division Director) and he can make the final decision.

The deadlines for each season:

Fall (September, October and November months): Monday, December 5th 2011

Winter (December, January and February months): Monday March 5th 2012

Spring (March, April and May months): Monday June 4th 2012

Summer (June, July and August months): Monday September 3rd 2012

There is a strange concidence...... there were 11 different colors of Reattas produced.

This would be an excellant way of showing all the colors, especially for those that have not been to a national meet and had that oppertunity.

And they are... White, Red, Black, Burgandy (Claret), Silver, early and late blue, early and late gray, Driftwood and Polo Green.

Maybe the rights to the GM promo with the black "Y" job and a Black Reatta convertible could be obtained (Reatta Div, already has that abiltity) I would be willing to provide the software for the red coupe in the windtunnel.

There is a strange concidence...... there were 11 different colors of Reattas produced.

This would be an excellant way of showing all the colors, especially for those that have not been to a national meet and had that oppertunity.

And they are... White, Red, Black, Burgandy (Claret), Silver, early and late blue, early and late gray, Driftwood and Polo Green.

Maybe the rights to the GM promo with the black "Y" job and a Black Reatta convertible could be obtained (Reatta Div, already has that abiltity) I would be willing to provide the software for the red coupe in the windtunnel.

That would be a good idea.. Do you have a really high-quality picture of the Reatta in the wind tunnel?

Now we just need to get owners of each color car to provide some beauty shots.. I would personally prefer that any one member not have more than one of his or her cars in the calendar.

Could you make this a sticky thread, Rawja?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Not sure of anyone brought this up but what about submitting pics of the cars with the owners?? I am assuming we can do this? :)

Kit

Guest Double M

One of the many hats I wear is that of Graphic Designer. I have worked on many print projects and you all have probably seen some of the ads I do in various Automotive magazines.

It is great to talk about all the different themes and kinds of photos you would like to see and have used.

BUT... ("everyone has a big but." Pee Wee Herman)

The ONLY Photos that will matter are the HI-RESOLUTION PHOTOS.

If your camera can only take a 72 dpi Photo, like most Digital Cameras do, then you are wasting your time and effort. Some digital cameras take 180 DPI Photos at a very large physical size (11 x 17) and those will do. Ideally you want 300 DPI Photos at actual (8.5 x 11) or larger size.

Also a HI-RESOLUTION FILE is big and does not always go thru to most email systems. I cant go into all the techinques and processes involved in determining your dpi or how to change sizes and stuff w/o writing a book, so just check the specs of your camera carefully and take the the highest resolution and/or largest size photo you can. Usually 90%+ of the photos recieved will be tossed because when printed they will be the size of a postage stamp due to their low resolution.

Hope this helps!

Marck I sent you an email of several photos if you want to use them

Chuck Kerls

I received them, Thanks!

Not sure of anyone brought this up but what about submitting pics of the cars with the owners?? I am assuming we can do this? :)

Kit

Sure, I suppose that's ok! I mean, if you don't mind your picture being circulated to hundreds of people. :)

One of the many hats I wear is that of Graphic Designer. I have worked on many print projects and you all have probably seen some of the ads I do in various Automotive magazines.

It is great to talk about all the different themes and kinds of photos you would like to see and have used.

BUT... ("everyone has a big but." Pee Wee Herman)

The ONLY Photos that will matter are the HI-RESOLUTION PHOTOS.

If your camera can only take a 72 dpi Photo, like most Digital Cameras do, then you are wasting your time and effort. Some digital cameras take 180 DPI Photos at a very large physical size (11 x 17) and those will do. Ideally you want 300 DPI Photos at actual (8.5 x 11) or larger size.

Also a HI-RESOLUTION FILE is big and does not always go thru to most email systems. I cant go into all the techinques and processes involved in determining your dpi or how to change sizes and stuff w/o writing a book, so just check the specs of your camera carefully and take the the highest resolution and/or largest size photo you can. Usually 90%+ of the photos recieved will be tossed because when printed they will be the size of a postage stamp due to their low resolution.

Hope this helps!

My point exactly.

I buy the Avanti calendar put out by the AOAI (Avanti Owner's Association International) every year, and sometimes they publish some old pictures (scanned from film) or low-res pictures, and MHO, it just looks cheap and trashy.

I prefer that date stamps be removed from the pictures, but if push comes to shove, I can photoshop them out myself.

• 1 month later...

If you take Ronnie's suggestion of multiple pics per calendar (with smaller pics on the bottom, as demonstrated) some of the lower (not lowest) res photos submitted could be incorporated as "fill-in", giving folks without the $$$ for a Hi-Res digital cam or hi-end scanner to participate (and feel theat their contribution is appreciated), while, at the same time allowing the "spotlight" to focus only on those submissions of acceptable resolution. It would also limit the selection of "highlighted (Spotlight)" vehicle submissions.

If everyone makes a serious effort to submit high-quality photos, the same theme could be used, you would just eliminate the need to compensate for the lower quality photos.

All of that being said... Let's put it down to simple resolutions...

What would be the digital (resolution) minimums? 2550 x 3300 (So ~ 8.5MP RAW on a Digital Camera).

Desired Resolution (pixels) ^2 * Page Width * Height (inches) / 1,000,000 = Megapixel Size

Where ^2 means Squared.

For those that don't know, that basically eliminates most photos taken with your cell phone or compact digicam. You need to go to a DSLR, minimum. Try to avoid compression (jpg/jpeg) and stick with RAW or TIFF files, as compression drops pixels.

BTW, you do know that print specifications don't convert well to digital (viewable) specifications, right? With digital mediums, it's always best to just ask for "Megapixels" or give a specific resolution (x by x grid).

See: 300 dpi megapixel converter

Edited by Consultants_1 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest TheCapnVideo

I do this for the MG B people and it is quite an undertaking.

Minimum is 100 units sales at $20 per calendar to do Reatta.

Their calendar is also supported partially by advertising from MG specific vendors, without advertising that it would be more like 150 sales needed.

The photos are high resolution shots from MG owners.

Photo tips are free for the asking at MGBCalendar.com

Th MGB calendar also is filled with MG specific events worldwide, if you wanted something similar the events would have to be submitted for inclusion.

Sales are recorded year long with payment due between September 1 and December 1 for delivery around Christmas (2012?) just to give you an idea, ifrom 165 high resolution photos submitted the art department selected the 35 or so photos that finally graced the pages of the 2012 calendar. Photos are not useable for a variety of reasons, some just because they cannot be converted successfully from RGB (screen image) to CMYK (paper image) successfully.

Follow the creation of the 2012 version at this link

Get your 2012 MG B & GT Calendar by Christmas! > MGB & GT Forum : MG Experience Forums

and the results at this link

Calendar Delivery > MGB & GT Forum : MG Experience Forums