Value of early Dodge

mrcvs

Sorry to be a stickler, but one photo as small as that one is will not be enough to determine the value. It does look like a really nice car from what I can see, but we need to see larger and more detailed shots.

I will try and get more photos from the seller. It is an older restoration in running condition, with no major issues, I am told. Any ideas as to what an average to above average older restoration on one of these might be worth? If about $15,000 is way out of line (which I think it is), I can stop negotiations now or see if he will take whatever you think it might be worth. The interior looks good as well, and he said he had a mechanic go over it about 6 months ago and it has no major defects, the body and frame are fine, etc.

Guest 1930

15000 is not way out of line if I answer what you specifically asked.....average to above average older restoration ..........I dont know these older Dodges very well but most common Dodges which I am assuming this is top off at about 18 or so and it would have to be a very nice car. This sounds like an OK car so I would think without seeing decent pict. that the car is prob worth 10 anyway and can only go up from there.

Guest 1930

What John said was correct, I only added a little, no way of really knowing where you might be without some pict.

I will try and get more photos from the seller. It is an older restoration in running condition, with no major issues, I am told. Any ideas as to what an average to above average older restoration on one of these might be worth? If about $15,000 is way out of line (which I think it is), I can stop negotiations now or see if he will take whatever you think it might be worth. The interior looks good as well, and he said he had a mechanic go over it about 6 months ago and it has no major defects, the body and frame are fine, etc.

Mrcvs-It sounds like you are trying to evaluate a car from a distance. Unless you see the thing with your own eyes and go out and touch it with your own hands, don't waste your time. Ask me how I know. In fact, the car in question looks a lot like your picture. The seller was near Red Wing, Minnesota (just across the Mississippi in Wisconsin). He provided me with some awesome, but small, photos of the car and a marvelous story of how it had been from a museum... So all the way from San Diego I go. 3000 miles this SOB let me come just to find that the "museum" was his barn and the pictures he used to describe the car were at least 20 years old. Needless to say, I didn't come back with the car and they are still looking for the owner. I believe he is in a museum some where. I swear he said he could swim.

P.S. FYI the smaller the picture, the bigger the story will be.

Okay, thank you very much for your advice. Maybe I shall pass on this after all.

BY THE WAY, what do you think will happen with all this early stuff in the next 20 or 30 yrs when the older generations are no longer around? I am 40 yrs old and like this early stuff, but does anyone else my age or younger really appreciate it? By the time I am in my 70's or 80's, will there be anyone else around to appreciate it or will it all just be worthless scrap metal at that point?

Guest bull

The age of the owners and generating interest in the younger set is a concern to all of us. I personally believe that there will be enough people that love these old machines to keep prices up. It's all supply and demand and they aren't making anymore and fewer are being discovered. I have a T model Ford as well and this topic is often raised on their forms. I can't see any modern "plastic cars" lasting more than 30 years either. cheers.

Okay, thank you very much for your advice. Maybe I shall pass on this after all.

BY THE WAY, what do you think will happen with all this early stuff in the next 20 or 30 yrs when the older generations are no longer around? I am 40 yrs old and like this early stuff, but does anyone else my age or younger really appreciate it? By the time I am in my 70's or 80's, will there be anyone else around to appreciate it or will it all just be worthless scrap metal at that point?

If it helps ease your mind I'm 15 and I love vintage machinery.

Regards, Tristan.

Guest 1930

If we want to see these cars endure time longer as original cars than the information to do so must be made available easily to ANYONE that is looking for it. Young people these days for the most part are fat and lazy with little ambition. If they have to go to one specific person I.E. tech advice or even this forum and be spoon fed that information in increments or not fed any info at all just because the person that has the knowledge doesn't like something about the person whom is asking than the person asking the questions is going to lose interest quickly, not only may they lose interest but they may just out of spite decide to specifically look for a certain make of car and butcher the hell out of it just to get even. Its not necessarily all the time a fault of theirs but is just how our society has molded their generation. We want things now ( instant gratification ) and if we have to wait than we move onto something that we don't have to wait for.

So what do we do, we invite people to come to local meets spread out all over the N.E or N.W or central part of the country, its thought I guess this in enough and we are doing our part to try and get the younger generation involved, the only young people that are going to attend these meets are the locals and then they have to pass the good ole boy test still if they want any real in-depth information concerning the cars.

I believe that makes such as Fords, maybe ( and this is a stretch ) Chevrolet will outlast Dodge Brothers and many other makes 10 -1 because if ANYONE, doesn't matter if you are 15 ( and welcome by the way ) or 99 want to know how to restore that particular vehicle than all they have to do is go to the local library and rent the book.

We must ask ourselves why people choose not to restore an original D.B or another make, we all here know that driving down the road at 35 having everyone give us the attention we crave is the same sort of attention we get when we are driving down the road in a big block blown whatever.

We aren't flying down the road in our hot-rodded whatevers, we are cruising often times at 35 miles an hour. There are certain things that a hot rod can give that an original car cant such as sudden bursts of speed and the music coming from the exhaust but we also have on the original cars certain things a hot rod cant give such as owning something that most people don't which bottom line is truly what we all are after otherwise all hot rods would be painted the same colors and have the same drive trains. Its the challenge of having something that no one else has that drives us to do what we do.

Some of us ( very few of my generation and alot more of an older generation ) have stamina not to get affected by the challenge of owning and preserving an original car, I myself sometimes feel more energized to keep searching by knowing that someone else has answers to my questions and because they don't care for me cant be bothered to give me the answers but I will admit at times I myself question why I even bother.

I can only imagine how a much a younger generation will feel. Dodge Brothers and many other makes are dead, finished unless something is done to correct this such as what John Bittence did when he published most of his findings, I am not a personal fan of John Bittence, I have never met him so my opinion is not biased because its not personal for me but if anyone enjoys the hobby and wants to see the cars that he is most interested in preserved in this club than it would be him.

I made a post titled AACA library a few months ago and this coincides with all of that.

Forums like this are the best thing that could have come around, young people enjoy the comp. but whats going to happen when we are not available to answer someone question and they have to wait a week maybe a month, maybe several months just to finally learn how their kick panel carpet was originally attached because they are earnestly trying to do an authentic restoration/preservation.

Accept the fact that they are going to grow weary of this fast, they are going to move onto different things.

This club needs to focus its attention on getting information readily available, they need to start collecting data on ALL models from 14 -38 and they need to make this information available to anyone that joins the club and I vow as Pres....( just kidding Joe )

We have years of newsletter topics here and if there should ever come a time that we all know it all than the topics might have to change a little.

All of this information can be collected from other club members, it can start out like the tools articles did in the mid eighties where specific questions are asked concerning specific models. The club can get together a historical research committee ( I know there is one but I am still unclear on what they do ) that spends a few hours a month on sites like e-bay to collect data from original cars ( the information I have collected from people selling their cars on e-bay has been enormous ) or they can make personal phone calls to members and ask questions, explain what you are doing and again it is surprising what can be collected.

Bull wrote.......The age of the owners and generating interest in the younger set is a concern to all of us.........Is it? what are we really doing to give the younger generation the kick in the rear to join us. If it weren't for a select few ( and I am not going to name names because I am concerned that I would leave out a deserving individual ) on this forum than this place here would be dead or dying as well.

What will happen if John Keiser were no longer here on this forum?????

Makes me think.

So are we truly in this hobby for the preservation of these cars or are we in it for self glorification or personal gain. Our actions are the tell all

If you want to help the vendors that are repairing/reproducing these parts than help the people that are properly restoring the cars have the information.

What would happen if Glen was not doing what he is doing or Romars or Myers, they cant continue to do what they are doing unless there is an interest in the people doing it, if you want that interest than give them what they need to keep it, I know some of you are thinking but it took me years of research and counless dollars to get all of this knowledge and I am not just going to give it all away....cmon seriousely, you my friend are in this for the wrong reasons.

I know a Plymouth tech advisor that I inquired to concerning tools, that is exactly what he told me.... I have collected this stuff for years and I am not just going to give it to you because you asked for it, so I had to send him pages after pages after pages of info I had collected concerning Dodge tools just to get two photos of original ( partial I will add ) 28 and 32 tool kits and then when I asked questions on these kits he answered all of my inquires with about 4 lines of text that was barely understandable. This is the future of this hobby in many cases unless something is done.

What will we do??? I already know, we will ignore all of this becasue it takes too much work to do otherwise and hell that is what we have always done.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

With the US dollar being what it is all of these cars are going to end up in more prosporous countries anyway so why worry.

I am seeing many collectable vehicles being exported to Europe and Australia, Even Canada has money worth more than the 'Almighty Dollar'.

This car was on ebay last week with a starting bid of $8,500.00. The listing ended with no bidders.

As far as these cars holding there value in 20 or 30 years, there is little hope of that. The folks that grew up with these cars and want to recapture their memories are long gone. The guys from my era want muscle cars and the hot rod they saw in the magazines in the 1950's 60's. That should not stop a person from buying an antique car. There is plenty of enjoyment in owning an antique car, if nothing else it gives a guy an excuse to get out of the house and go for a ride or wax the car.

post-31312-143138556928_thumb.jpg

When I further research this model, and, thanks to many of your posts, I am realizing that these are really worth around $8,000 to $10,000 and $10,000 might be a stretch even on a very good day!

When I further research this model, and, thanks to many of your posts, I am realizing that these are really worth around $8,000 to $10,000 and $10,000 might be a stretch even on a very good day!

I agree.

Guest donnymopar
If we want to see these cars endure time longer as original cars than the information to do so must be made available easily to ANYONE that is looking for it. Young people these days for the most part are fat and lazy with little ambition. If they have to go to one specific person I.E. tech advice or even this forum and be spoon fed that information in increments or not fed any info at all just because the person that has the knowledge doesn't like something about the person whom is asking than the person asking the questions is going to lose interest quickly, not only may they lose interest but they may just out of spite decide to specifically look for a certain make of car and butcher the hell out of it just to get even. Its not necessarily all the time a fault of theirs but is just how our society has molded their generation. We want things now ( instant gratification ) and if we have to wait than we move onto something that we don't have to wait for.

So what do we do, we invite people to come to local meets spread out all over the N.E or N.W or central part of the country, its thought I guess this in enough and we are doing our part to try and get the younger generation involved, the only young people that are going to attend these meets are the locals and then they have to pass the good ole boy test still if they want any real in-depth information concerning the cars.

I believe that makes such as Fords, maybe ( and this is a stretch ) Chevrolet will outlast Dodge Brothers and many other makes 10 -1 because if ANYONE, doesn't matter if you are 15 ( and welcome by the way ) or 99 want to know how to restore that particular vehicle than all they have to do is go to the local library and rent the book.

We must ask ourselves why people choose not to restore an original D.B or another make, we all here know that driving down the road at 35 having everyone give us the attention we crave is the same sort of attention we get when we are driving down the road in a big block blown whatever.

We aren't flying down the road in our hot-rodded whatevers, we are cruising often times at 35 miles an hour. There are certain things that a hot rod can give that an original car cant such as sudden bursts of speed and the music coming from the exhaust but we also have on the original cars certain things a hot rod cant give such as owning something that most people don't which bottom line is truly what we all are after otherwise all hot rods would be painted the same colors and have the same drive trains. Its the challenge of having something that no one else has that drives us to do what we do.

Some of us ( very few of my generation and alot more of an older generation ) have stamina not to get affected by the challenge of owning and preserving an original car, I myself sometimes feel more energized to keep searching by knowing that someone else has answers to my questions and because they don't care for me cant be bothered to give me the answers but I will admit at times I myself question why I even bother.

I can only imagine how a much a younger generation will feel. Dodge Brothers and many other makes are dead, finished unless something is done to correct this such as what John Bittence did when he published most of his findings, I am not a personal fan of John Bittence, I have never met him so my opinion is not biased because its not personal for me but if anyone enjoys the hobby and wants to see the cars that he is most interested in preserved in this club than it would be him.

I made a post titled AACA library a few months ago and this coincides with all of that.

Forums like this are the best thing that could have come around, young people enjoy the comp. but whats going to happen when we are not available to answer someone question and they have to wait a week maybe a month, maybe several months just to finally learn how their kick panel carpet was originally attached because they are earnestly trying to do an authentic restoration/preservation.

Accept the fact that they are going to grow weary of this fast, they are going to move onto different things.

This club needs to focus its attention on getting information readily available, they need to start collecting data on ALL models from 14 -38 and they need to make this information available to anyone that joins the club and I vow as Pres....( just kidding Joe )

We have years of newsletter topics here and if there should ever come a time that we all know it all than the topics might have to change a little.

All of this information can be collected from other club members, it can start out like the tools articles did in the mid eighties where specific questions are asked concerning specific models. The club can get together a historical research committee ( I know there is one but I am still unclear on what they do ) that spends a few hours a month on sites like e-bay to collect data from original cars ( the information I have collected from people selling their cars on e-bay has been enormous ) or they can make personal phone calls to members and ask questions, explain what you are doing and again it is surprising what can be collected.

Bull wrote.......The age of the owners and generating interest in the younger set is a concern to all of us.........Is it? what are we really doing to give the younger generation the kick in the rear to join us. If it weren't for a select few ( and I am not going to name names because I am concerned that I would leave out a deserving individual ) on this forum than this place here would be dead or dying as well.

What will happen if John Keiser were no longer here on this forum?????

Makes me think.

So are we truly in this hobby for the preservation of these cars or are we in it for self glorification or personal gain. Our actions are the tell all

If you want to help the vendors that are repairing/reproducing these parts than help the people that are properly restoring the cars have the information.

What would happen if Glen was not doing what he is doing or Romars or Myers, they cant continue to do what they are doing unless there is an interest in the people doing it, if you want that interest than give them what they need to keep it, I know some of you are thinking but it took me years of research and counless dollars to get all of this knowledge and I am not just going to give it all away....cmon seriousely, you my friend are in this for the wrong reasons.

I know a Plymouth tech advisor that I inquired to concerning tools, that is exactly what he told me.... I have collected this stuff for years and I am not just going to give it to you because you asked for it, so I had to send him pages after pages after pages of info I had collected concerning Dodge tools just to get two photos of original ( partial I will add ) 28 and 32 tool kits and then when I asked questions on these kits he answered all of my inquires with about 4 lines of text that was barely understandable. This is the future of this hobby in many cases unless something is done.

What will we do??? I already know, we will ignore all of this becasue it takes too much work to do otherwise and hell that is what we have always done.

Very well said. I struggled with some of these very information issues regarding my 24 Dodge sedan. Bottom line for me, is old school hot rodding is over 50 years old by itself...and emulating that, with a little creative personal twist, are the cars I gravitate toward. But, you are also correct, that seeing a bone stock classic car is exciting. The main concerns I see, are the information issues you have so wonderfully addressed, the cost of parts, (everyone thinks they are sitting on gold)...might as well throw in some stuffy attitudes...and finally the wait factor to find these parts. The Muscle car scene is starting to feel a little pinch for the same above reasons. Customizing/hot rodding eliminates alot of these problems. Add the music, art and party scene that is included with the old rodders events..."Viva Las Vegas" / "Hunnert Car Pile-up", "Billet Proof", etc. and you have a draw for both young and old car enthusiats.

Best,

Don

Guest 1930

Quote.........the cost of parts, (everyone thinks they are sitting on gold)...might as well throw in some stuffy attitudes...and finally the wait factor to find these parts

The cost of parts is true enough, I have paid stupid money for some things, as a matter of fact ( nearly ) the only time I can steal something ( when compared to a D.B dealer ) is when one of you guys are cutting up/destroying and original car.

might as well throw in some stuffy attitudes..........yep you are right about this but guess what, first of all every club has them, they arent going anywhere and most of these stuffy attitudes ( believe me there are some WONDERFULL people in D.B land ) would nearly dissapear if the information was complied and put in a place that was accessible by all, the stuffy attitudes in many cases come from guys that have answered the same questions a thousand times and are just tired of answering it ( cant really blame them for that ) or most often in my opinion the idea that the person with the information is doing the person asking for the information a god sended deed by answering it. This sort of attitude is just sxxt if you ask me.

Wait factor again is just a view that is taken maybe the wrong way, when I was younger I couldnt wait till Christmas and run out of room to open all my gifts, now that I am older it is the anticipation of those gifts and the feelings of excitement during tha wait that I enjoy.

Sure I still cuss the post office because those darn books that were shipped supposedely Sat. according to the seller still are not here but I know they will be here today and boy this is going to be a good day. Hope you get my meaning and if you dont than maybe someday you will.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest donnymopar

Again, well said, "1930"...easily obtainable information seems to be the lynch pin.

Hats off to this sites host. Intelligent dialog without the drama...very nice, keep it up.