Photo without caption 5-23-11

keiser31

Keiser, is this related in anyway to yesterday's (5-22-11) PWOC ?

Oh yeah! It happened almost right across the street from my house. Guy drove up with his girlfriend and parked. They went with the his mom to some yard sales and came back to find the car on fire. I thought it was overheating until the "steam" turned to brown smoke.

post-37352-143138550074_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138550084_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138550092_thumb.jpg

I have seen them explode too. Once a guy was jumping his truck and as soon as his wife hit the starter KABOOM! right in his face. I don't know the final outcome for him, but it wasn't good. I won't describe what I saw. So NEVER stand over a battery when jumping a car.

Another time we had the battery out of my 69 Bonneville while in the paint booth. We unmasked the car (2 hr old paint) dropped the battery in, closed the hood to the safety latch, hit the key and KABOOM! Acid all over new paint, newly detailed engine compartment, convertible top and the booth. It was a month old battery that cost me thousands of $.

Guest elmo39

john i have had it happen to me , when i was working in a body shop (panel shop here )i went to jump start a big truck i was doing the paint work on . i connected the jumper leads the wrong way, there was a massive explosion ,one of the battery disintegrated , i was lucky i came out of it with singed eye brows , and a dented pride

.Rex

Guest De Soto Frank

"There have been reports of some reliability issues regarding the new-technology Fukushima car batteries..."

I have seen them explode too. Once a guy was jumping his truck and as soon as his wife hit the starter KABOOM! right in his face. I don't know the final outcome for him, but it wasn't good. I won't describe what I saw. So NEVER stand over a battery when jumping a car.

Another time we had the battery out of my 69 Bonneville while in the paint booth. We unmasked the car (2 hr old paint) dropped the battery in, closed the hood to the safety latch, hit the key and KABOOM! Acid all over new paint, newly detailed engine compartment, convertible top and the booth. It was a month old battery that cost me thousands of $.

You Haven't lived as a Mechanic unless you have witnessed a few Battery explosions. I had one in my old 62 ford truck one time that was finicky back when I was a young un. I would tip it a little and let it drop and the thing would start the truck right up. About the 10th time I did that, the top blew off of it. Good thing I was looking away from it. (Didn't really trust it.) And also I was near a water hose in the summer months and got washed down quickly. After the excitment was over I could see where the post lead was cracked internally causing a bad connection which caused a spark and a Hydrogen explosion when I left the key in run position. The pair of blue jeans and shirt I was wearing had plenty of holes after the next wash they received. Now I always use a piece of cardboard to fan over a battery that has been recently charging before jumping anything to dispell any hydrogen gas. I've seen my share of blown apart batterys after the fact of others that were not careful about handling them.

Fellow Preservers of thy old and ancient automobiles, be carefull out there! Dandy Dave!