Landau at the Charlotte Auto Fair

stealthbob

Let me start off a new thread that will surely soon have some great pics and stories. Right now The 1954 Buick Landau is at the Charlotte Auto Fair in all its glory but a week ago I got a sneak peak at some of the images of the new interior and I tell ya it sure looks great.

You don't have to take my word for it..I tweaked a video I had made previously to add in the before and after images.

Surely there will be more pictures to come but for now here is the new slideshow....I recommend using the high def setting in full screen view ;)

Enjoy!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EZ8GsJ9DBIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

The warden gave me a one day pass so I went to Charlotte to see Robert E and the Landau. He has done a few things to it since Ames and is hoping to get his AACA Senior this year. I could find no reason why that won't happpen. The car is looking better and is in better condition than it has been since it rolled out of the special order design department in Flint. I didn't let Bob know but I actually did let a little drop of drool fall on the little black book that lives in the glove compartment telling about the "special order" car that it is. Much of it was hand writtn. The drool fell when I read the part that said " if any additional information about this car is desired, please call NED NICKLES at 6437".

But there she was. Sitting on display at Bob's vendor space gathering dust and surrounded by folks all google eyed. (as in NOT in some private, rich ass collectors museum somewhere never being seen by anyone.)

Sat and chat awhile with Robert then was off to see if by chance there were anymore other 54's at the show. There never is, but lo and behold I found one in the car coral. Well that's another story.

post-31987-143138504982_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138504999_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138505014_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138505029_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138505044_thumb.jpg

post-31987-14313850506_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138505076_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138505091_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138505108_thumb.jpg

Good point about the comment....

But there she was. Sitting on display at Bob's vendor space gathering dust and surrounded by folks all google eyed. (as in NOT in some private, rich ass collectors museum somewhere never being seen by anyone.)

Thank you Bob for sharing this treasure!

Nice pics Lamar, especially the one of you Bob and the landau...that's a framer!

She sure looks to be in her prime again.

.....and yes, make with the story!

So, was that Master Earl going for a ride down the lane in the back of the Landau? I've seen photos of Jordan before, but haven't looked recently enough to recollect whether or not that is him.

The tall fellow chatting with Robert E. looks familiar, but I can't put a name on him...guess I'm just old.

Neat stuff. Definitely better weather for a car show down there than up here. I may get to drive an old car by Easter, but there's no guarantees.

I cannot be at Charlotte, but there is a delegation there from Texarkana with implicit instructions to check on the Landau. "Holy Buick" those Texarkana Turbine Style Wheel Covers look great on "Her Majesty". I am crying like a proud Uncle at graduation time! Hopefully the new wheel covers will wheel her into Senior Status!!!!!!!!!!!Charles D. Barnette

Went out to check out the Landau in the AACA field this afternoon. Being my first time seeing it in person, I was quite excited to see it. Truly beautiful car.

My grandfather and I enjoyed talking to Mr. Coker a good bit. Well worth the leg work over there. :D

Now just praying that this hail storm doesn't dent my Reatta!! :(:(

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

Marck, those are indeed some great shots of the Landau on the grass. Some nice angles representing not only the beauty and class of the Landau but of the 1954 Buick itself. Thanks for taking the time to take them and also to post them so promptly. Can't wait to hear the results of the judging. I so wish I could have been there.

THANKS again for the great photos.

Guest my3buicks

I can't get over how the new wheelcovers changed the Landau's entire image. It made it so much more elegant and stately than it even appeared before. Love it!!

Congratulations Bob on obtaining the Senior.

Marck and Bob, thanks for posting everything. These are new shots and views of the Landau that we have not seen before.

Lamar, you look like a kid in a candy store. I think Bob had better start locking up the Landau with all kinds of security before it miraculously appears at the Buick Ranch.

Congratulations again Bob, and thanks again to Stealth Bob and Marck.

Stevo

No problem! I was a little down about being the only Reatta at the whole Auto Fair (that I've seen thus far), but seeing the Landau in person certainly remidied those lonely feelings. It made my day! :D :D I think I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow too.

Mr. Earl, I'm pretty close to Mr. Coker, if we work together on um.. "borrowing the Landau for a prolonged period without asking" together, can I keep it for 6 months you of the year? ;):D (you'll get it for the other 6 months. ;))

No problem! I was a little down about being the only Reatta at the whole Auto Fair (that I've seen thus far), but seeing the Landau in person certainly remidied those lonely feelings. It made my day! :D :D I think I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow too.

Mr. Earl, I'm pretty close to Mr. Coker, if we work together on um.. "borrowing the Landau for a prolonged period without asking" together, can I keep it for 6 months you of the year? ;):D (you'll get it for the other 6 months. ;))

Sure, as long as I get it the first six.

Bob got his Senior. Congrats to Bob!

Great, great news. Not that I doubted for a second that it wouldn't. It is looking great. Congratulations Bob. Congratulations 1954 Buick Landau. Congratulations Ned Nickles. Congratulations Harley Earl. :)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Man what a feel good day!

Congratulations Bob!

The time, energy and effort to get the Landau to its current state surely has been great. Not many cars out there that is a 1 of 1 that also has on it re-manufactured 1 of 1 hub caps. That, combined with the original thermos/cups and the original hand written owner manual, shows that a lot of care and respect has gone into preserving the history of this car.

All that and there it sits outside for all to see....unbelievable!

Thank you Sir Buickman Coker!

I am absolutely thrilled that the Landau has taken "Senior" status at Charlotte at an AACA event. This is the first time that the Landau displayed her new wheel covers at a show, and they have now become an integral part of the Landau's history. Since the wheel covers were born in Texarkana, the original cups and thermos were reunited with the Landau in Texarkana, the Landau was displayed in Texarkana in 2008, and our hero Bob Coker-present owner of course-at one time lived in Texarkana, all inside and outside lights of the Tex-Ark Antique Auto Museum (dba Four States Auto Museum) in Texarkana will remain on tonight for the entire night in honor of the Landau receiving her Senior Award. As already noted above it is incredible for a one of a kind Motorama Dream Car in 2011 to win such an award! This is truly a first in the history of GM's Motoramas! Bob Coker deserves all of the credit! Harley, Harlow, and the live "Mr. Earl" are all doing cartwheels today! All Buick owners reap the benefits of this achievement! We are all in a great hobby! Charles D. Barnette

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

Bob found some additional "hardware" for the Landau on Sunday of Charlotte Autofair. Bob joined the Carolina Chapter's Buick Club of America car display as part of the Speedway's car show during Charlotte Autofair (different event than the AACA National at the same location).

Not only did Bob take home Best of Show for the Buick Club. Bob and the Landau beat out 54 other club's Bests of Show to take home Best of Best of Show for Charlotte Autofair. Here is the link to the PR story

Charlotte Motor Speedway | Speedway | News Archive | Rare 1954 Buick Landau Motorama Show Car Wins Best of Show Award As Charlotte Motor Speedway's Food Lion AutoFair Concludes

I'd like to thank Bob for participating in our little event, which is part of the much bigger event. This is the second Spring Autofair in a row a Buick has taken home Best of Best of Show (Last year Doug Seybold's 1940 Super Woody Wagon won) and the 7th or 8th time we have won the award in total. I am pretty sure we have won it more than any other club in the event.

Because of Bob and the Landau I think we also attracted at least three new members to the BCA, so again thank you Bob for sharing the Landau with everyone and in turn helping to promote the BCA!!

I will post some more pictures later or tomorrow of the Bob's Landau in Charlotte Motor Speedway Victory Lane and I will start a separate thread with some of the other Buick present at both the AACA National and our Buick Show within a show.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

Just arrived back home from 5 days of very tiring pleasure.

Thanks for all the great comments and a special thanks to Brian for his help and directions.

There was one more prize won.

At the banquet, my seat won the flower arrangement but I forgot to get it.

Might have been for the better. Had I brought it home to the wife, she would have thought I`d been up to something.

Bob

Edited by progoofoff (see edit history)

Congratulations Bob. Best of Best of Show for Charlotte Autofair. That is awesome. You and the Landau deserve it. So how you likin that ugly ol' fitty fo right about now?

So about the flower arrangement. I don't believe I would make a point of tellin Linda you won them and then Forgot to bring them home to her either. Sounds like a lose, lose situation to me. Sounds like mum's the word about the flowers.

Would like to see some pictures of the trophies and plaques after you rest up.

My sincerest congats to Bob Coker for taking the Landau to its original beauty. Winning the Senior award in Charlotte is only the first step in my mind in rewarding Bob for his efforts, his dedication to excellence, and his sense of taste for this very unique automobile.

As the original owner, speaking for my late father, Robert F. Blair, you have taken the dream car to new heights. Thank you for purchasing the Landau and restoring it to its' glory days. I think Harlow Curtice would really enjoy a ride in it today.

Kudos to Charles Barnette would was a big factor in brining attention to this truly world-class limo.

Rob Blair

Austin, Texas

OK as promised here are the photos from Victory Lane and a couple from the parade of champions before entering Victory Lane.

That's Ray Evernham, famous former NASCAR crew chief and owner, who was the MC/Awards Presenter in Victory Lane.

post-53096-143138506735_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138506752_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138506768_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138506784_thumb.jpg

post-53096-1431385068_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138506816_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138506832_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138506848_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138506864_thumb.jpg

No problem! I was a little down about being the only Reatta at the whole Auto Fair (that I've seen thus far), but seeing the Landau in person certainly remidied those lonely feelings. It made my day! :D

NCREATTA: The family and I didn't get to the speedway until later in the day on Sunday but were glad to catch a glimpse of your VERY nice looking Reatta convertible with the grey interior as you drove out of the speedway.... we tried to catch a close up view until you pulled into the parking lot off to the right on B.S. Blvd. Hope to catch you in the Fall if you attend, we really appreciate the pictures you have posted on the Landau, awesome. :-)

Way to go! The Landau certainly deserved it! :D That's a huge Best of Show trophie! I think it'd hold more like a gallon and a half. :rolleyes:;)

NCREATTA: The family and I didn't get to the speedway until later in the day on Sunday but were glad to catch a glimpse of your VERY nice looking Reatta convertible with the grey interior as you drove out of the speedway.... we tried to catch a close up view until you pulled into the parking lot off to the right on B.S. Blvd. Hope to catch you in the Fall if you attend, we really appreciate the pictures you have posted on the Landau, awesome. :-)

Thanks! We pulled into that parking lot to take a picture near the pedestrian bridge with the "Welocome to Charlotte Motor Speedway" sign.

Thanks! Sorry we didn't get to talk, I'll probably be back in the fall, either with this car, or another, not sure which yet. :)

Taking on a life of their own, the new wheel covers of the Landau have become as red hot and magical as Dorothy's "red shoes" in the "Wizard of Oz". Just think that at one time these wheel covers humbly resided in my Texarkana bedroom unknown to the world and just waiting for their time at Charlotte (2011). I know I am a simplistic dreamer, but just let me be naive enough to think the new wheel covers made the minute difference to hoist the Landau into a lofty position on the world stage this year of 2011. In beautiful reality it was of course the Landau in the Buick Master's hands (those of Bob Coker) that brought home the bacon as we say in Arkansas! Through accessibility, Bob has wonderfully transformed the great Landau into the "people's Motorama car"! Charles D. Barnette

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

I know this thread is getting most of the attention as rightfully deserved but we had some other Buick at Charlotte Autofair to see them if you are interested go here

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/buicks-charlotte-autofair-301871.html#post873911

Also our own Forum Flunkie (is that what we are?) "NCReatta" AKA Marck Barker AKA Future Thriller son-in-law (Couldn't resist) took home best unrestored Buick in the Carolina Chapter's show. Yeah Marck!!