Tack strips - where to get / buy?

1957buickjim

Once more, getting ready to put in a new headliner, and I am in the quest for suggestions as to where to get new tack strips to replace the now breaking apart 54 year old ones. Anyone out there have any suggested vendors? Thanks.

Modern plastic tack strip works well but for some reason I've seldom been able to find it in just the right size. What I've sometimes done where the size needed is unavailable and the application permits is use wood. Works well and should last a long time............Bob

Guest Jim_Edwards
Modern plastic tack strip works well but for some reason I've seldom been able to find it in just the right size. What I've sometimes done where the size needed is unavailable and the application permits is use wood. Works well and should last a long time............Bob

Bob when you resort to a wood strip how are you attaching? Glue, screws, nails? Stapling as was likely originally done isn't typically within the scope of options for most given the need for a staple gun capable of stapling through metal.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Again it depends on the situation. On my chrysler, tack strip is used to tack on the windlace aft of the door opening. The tack strip is held by metal tabs that fold over the strip so wood was a good choice especialy since it's a real odd size. Not to mention the cost was zip. If there is a dead space behind the strip I've used pop rivets. I've also used pop rivets for plastic strip. Sometimes I've stacked two thin strips and riveted to get the thickness needed and sometimes I've cut a wide strip down to size. The commercial strip available never seems the right size and improvization is usually the order of the day.........Bob

Bob, what kind of wood did you use? I like the idea of using the wood. My tack strips are held on in the same manner, with the metal tabs.

For the Chrysler I used Ash since I needed to make a bend in it and ash is somewhat springy and flexible. Hard wood holds better than soft. If the tacks are slightly longer than the strip the tip will roll over and they hold well but if you have to pull any they tear the wood. If you are putting a lot of tacks close together you have to watch for splitting, stagger the tacks up and down a bit. The bottom of the strip groove usually has a radius, if so, chamfer the bottom corners of the strip so they bottom nicely in the groove. most shops today use staples rather than tacks. I like tacks. In the old days the assembly line workers would put a hand full of tacks in their mouths. The tack hammers were magnetic and they would pick a tack out of their mouth with the hammer and set it with one blow. Tack boxes used to say "Sterilized" on them just for that reason....... Bob

I buy headliner tacking strips from Restoration Specialties and Supply of Windber, PA. They have been in business a long time and have a large catalogue as well as a presence at Hershey and Carlisle. I have used both the cardboard tacking strips and the plastic/vinyl strips. I prefer the cardboard because you can peel off layers of it when it needs to be thinner due to a junction or weld behind the space where they sit. The plastic/vinyl sometimes refuses to accept the staples from my stable gun unless it is aimed totally, perfectly straight.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

A great idea Bob Has. I was about to order some tack strips to nail the windlass on my 1947 76C. It also has the taps to hold in the strips. Gonna try some Home Depot pine instead. I got some pieces left over from a house project. Pete mentioned Restoration Specialties and Supply of Windber, PA. I have done business with the in them past and found them to be a reliable and knowlegble company. They have a lot of unusual fasteners and prices are very reasonable

True on the "sterilized" tacks. I sort of apprenticed under a master trimmer, and learned to spit tacks from him. You don't really spit them, you position the next one at the front of your mouth and grab it with magnetized end of hammer. Once you learn you don't even think about it any more....

The problem is when you have extra tacks still in your mouth. He went to the bathroom once, flushed, and then realized he had some tacks left so spit them into the bowl.

A tour was going through the restoration shop, a guy walks in to the trim shop a few minutes later. "Wow," he says, "I have new respect for you guys after seeing what's in the bathroom, you guys are TOUGH...."

He of course thought it had come form the other end of the trimmer.......

Another suggestion: use exterior cardboard (like used for door panels), cut strips to desired width, glue strip together to get desired thickness...a little work but sure beats waiting for an order to complete a project and you end up with nearly the same thing you would have to buy. Of course you would have to have scraps of cardboard.:D

Willie

Willie..you are thinking along my lines. I have some of that there cardboard and was going to do just that. Right now just waiting for the headliner to show up in a couple of weeks. :D

• 9 years later...