paranormal cars

Guest greg walsh

Guest greg walsh

Can old cars be haunted by previous owners? Anyone with wierd old car activities or stories? I just thought this might make an interesting thread.I know Halloween's aways off.

Guest Dave Boyer

I don't know, but I once looked at a 66 Mercedes 200, it was Black with Red interior. Real nice, had been in storage for a long time. I sat in the car, and got a really weird feeling....I jumped out, told the guy selling the car, he looked at me funny, and said, the same thing happened to the last guy that looked at the car....I didn't end up buying it, and I know it sat for sale for a long time, before it disappeared..

I had 2 kind of freeky experiences. Although I don't think they were due to haunted cars but are still related to old cars.

The first a friend of my Fathers stopped over years ago and my dad showed him my 1935 Chrysler Airstream Business Coupe. He sat in it and talked to my dad about it. A couple of hours later he was killed when a Large Pine log he was moving rolled on him and crushed him.

The second happened I would say 4 years later. I had a 61 T bird convertible I was driving that I parked next to the road with a For Sale sign. A lady in her late 30's or 40's walking by stopped and looked at it. Asked me some questions and then asked if She could take it for a test drive. I told her I would take her for a short test ride across town. Which I did. When I returned after the ride. Probably less than 5 minutes or so. We got out. She walked around the car, Started shouting at me then jumped in it and I'm pretty sure was going to steal it.

Fortunately I had taken the keys out. She jumped back out and then kind of Jogged off.

Very strange. Later that day there was a bad accident just outside of my town that was a fatality. It was a sunny Beautiful late spring day so no issue with the roads. My brother who was on the Volunteer Fire Department said a lady drove her car off the road and into some ledges. They said the car was stolen. I relayed my story to him. A police officer came by later and wrote down my story. Later the Coroner called and asked if I would verify it was the same person I had a confrontation with earlier in the day. It Was. Still not sure how she ever wrecked the car the way she did. It was upside down Halfway up a sloping rock wall.

That was 2 seperate events that ended the same way.

I try not to tell prospective buyers about them before we go for testrides. Might scare them off!!!

The cars weren't haunted but I bet that's Fortunately real unusual.

Guest my3buicks

I had a 57 Buick Century, that had a sorted past. The original owner died in the car, it sat for many years unused. When the family decided to do something with it, they called the local Buick dealer to haul the car into the shop. On the way to the shop the truck that was hauling it caught fire and burned to a crisp, the Buick did not even receive a mark. The next owner bought the car for his wife, he drove the car home to surprise her, he died of a heart attach walking into the house. Fast forward to about 10 years ago. The then current owner had it out for a drive. He pulled into the local 7-11 to get a paper. He heard a loud crash outside, and looked out to see the 57 against a stone wall down the street. Before it hit the wall it hit a Toyota and killed the driver. I bought the car wrecked. I never really got the car on the road officially, but did drive it some on the back roads, I got it back together, except paint for the most part and sold it to another BCA member that finished putting it together and has been enjoying it ever since without incident.

My last purchase was a 1984 Oldsmobile Regency 98. It had all kinds of gremlins in it. The cruise control would work one day, then not the next. It would not work on the way to the grocery store, but halfway back home it would work again.

The headlights would go completely out at times, especially, when going from low to high beams. A quick pull of the lever I'd have low beams again, thankfully.:eek:

Occasionally, it would go through a bucking spell, then clear up. My mechanic replaced a bunch of vacuum lines which improved it a lot. Actually, it's biggest problem was low mileage and short drives. It has finally gotten better with more road time.

I'm afraid to call the previous owner back. I, too, think maybe someone passed away in this car.:o

I had a car that was posessed by evil spirits. I decided to have an exorcism performed on it to clear them out. After the exorcist was done he charged me 500.00. I had, in the meantime, decided that the whole thing was my imagination so I told him I wasn't going to pay the fee. Do you know what he did??? He had the car repossesed!!!

(sorry, I had to do it)

My last purchase was a 1984 Oldsmobile Regency 98. It had all kinds of gremlins in it. The cruise control would work one day, then not the next. It would not work on the way to the grocery store, but halfway back home it would work again.

The headlights would go completely out at times, especially, when going from low to high beams. A quick pull of the lever I'd have low beams again, thankfully.:eek:

Occasionally, it would go through a bucking spell, then clear up. My mechanic replaced a bunch of vacuum lines which improved it a lot. Actually, it's biggest problem was low mileage and short drives. It has finally gotten better with more road time.

I'm afraid to call the previous owner back. I, too, think maybe someone passed away in this car.:o

Hmm, an early 80s GM displaying bad behavior, I really would not call that unusual Wayne! :D

These were the cars that forced me into my first Honda - maybe that is why they used to say the Japanese cars were well built but...no soul! Truth be told I would take the 84 Olds over an 84 Honda, probably for just that reason!

While they tried to keep it a secret, I have heard rumors that the GM factories during this era were infested with gremlins, in fact that may be where the guys from the first Ghostbusters kept all the captured spirits... :rolleyes:

Then, a large scale exorscism was performed, and those with late model GMs enjoy them now, as if there were never any evil spirits! :)

My current truck, that I bought used, had a possessed radio. In would change stations or switch from CD to radio and back. Volume would go up and down. It would even turn back on if you shut it off.

As far as old cars, do odd knocks, rattles, shakes and shimmies count :-)

My winter "beater" is the '89 Cutlass Ciera I inherited from my uncle. It was his summer car here in Maine and had 48K on it when I took possession in August '09. It now only has 52K. I've put quite a bit of money in it - mostly stuff that deteriorated from non-use. It has the typical GM rust around the edges and now the cruise has quit, the interval wipers quit and only 2 of the 4 radio speakers work but it runs good. My uncle really liked the car and he always told me that if I spent any of the money he left me on cars, he would come back and haunt me. I'm sure it's my imagination, but there are times I could swear he was sitting beside me in the passenger seat. My wife has always teased me about "not turning into Uncle Harold" but the other day she said she passed me in town and she could have sworn it was my uncle driving and not me. It really spooked her and it's really beginning to get to me. I've had strange feelings/dreams about some of the houses we've lived in, but I have never, ever felt that way about a car.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)

Many moons ago (1980) when I used to be a wrench at a local Cadillac dealer, there was a 1970 Eldo that sat out back for some time. It was super nice (White/black int) except for the damage to the front. I spoke with the owner and bought the car for $170 (book at the time was t $2500 as I recall. The car was super clean and well cared for. As it turned out a guy on a crotch rocket had come around a corner and hit the Eldo head-on. He broke his neck and died on the hood. So the owner had it towed to McCadden's where it sat for a couple years until I bought it. I fixed it and drove it everyday until one day all 4 brakes locked up without warning. I had to cut the brake lines to tow it home. Once the lines were replaced. the brakes worked fine for about 2 weeks and once again, all 4 lock up. Master and all components checked out. I sold it to move to Montana to work the oil fields (never became a dental floss tycoon! (obscure Zappa ref.) I don't know it's fate or if anyone ever figured out what happened. Maybe it was the biker or maybe not, but I sure did love that car! Beautiful lines, that 500 ran like a top and to this day the only car I ever bought with a full tank of gas!

This isn't my actual as far as I know, but this is exactly like her (minus dead guy and bent grille)

post-31565-143138470207_thumb.jpg