Technical help Door Panel

Guest 1956 Nailhead

Guest 1956 Nailhead

Hello,

I feel rather silly asking this question but I have ran into an issue. I need to do some repair work to the inner door. However to do so I have to remove the inner door panel. I removed all the screws and was able to get the panel loose. However I can not for the life of me figure out how to remove the door handle and window winders. I own several 50's cars but am more accustomed to doing repairs on 60's and 70's cars. Most have a screw of some sort holding the handle on but this Buick does not and I can't figure out how to remove them. It is a 56R so a 1956 Super Riviera. If anyone can answer this question, please feel free to explain I am sure it is simple but I can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Jason:):confused:

No questions are silly......believe me I've asked them all:)

The link below explains pretty clearly how they work.

They are held on by a C clip

The clip is easier to remove with a cheap tool readily available ....Bobs Automobilia has them

Buick Window Crank Removal | eHow.com

hope that helps

If still in doubt Google Buick Door handle removal and you'l find lots of pics and suggestions

Most auto parts stores have the tool

Here is picture from Autozone

Help/Universal Window Handle Removal Tool (76951) | Window Handle Remover Tool | AutoZone.com

That is the tool I have, it works for me. Just carefully slip it between the handle and the plastic disc, inserting your tool from the side behind the knob and if it was installed properly it will slip off in seconds. If not go 180 degrees to the other side from the knob. Every GM car owner should have one of these, good luck, Todd C

Late 30's Buicks use these clips also; but they are different size. My father had a body shop after he came home from WWII and referred to these as "Jesus" clips as in "Jesus, where did that thing go!? Hope everyone catches the humor here.

My 1990 Suburban still had the same style clip. When you put the handles back on, insert the clip first, and then the handle will slip on and lock. Make sure you get them lined up in the proper position. Dandy Dave!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1956 Nailhead

Thanks fellows, I found this remover tool at the local Fisher Auto. Surprising as you would think the smaller stores would have less. It was only about $10 even better surprise.

• 1 month later...

just wanted to say thank you all so much for this thread. I could not for the life of me figure out how to use the tool. I could see the clips and understood what needed to happen, but was trying to push the tool instead of gripping the open ends of the clip and pulling it. Been messing with it all weekend and finally managed to get one of the window cranks off! And yes, still wasn't really easy but glad I understand now!