Hey Guys! Look at the 1950 Aerocar I just bought! Need research help.

George Albright

Dear Friends: I just bought this circa 1950 "Aerocar" off of Ebay. Below is the old Ebay text. I have had no luck finding out anything on the internet on the 4 builders of it. Is it in a late 40s early 50s Popular Mechanics",etc. magazine or the same era airplane magazine,since it is roumored to have been built in the Grumman plant in Wichita,Kansas? Maybe it was built in the Piper plant there instead? Looks like a crude early version of the 6 real Aerocars,built in the mid 1950s. You help is appreciated! George Albright,Ocala,Fla. cell 352 843 1624. Email: gnalbright@gmail.com Up for auction is a very unique automobile that was hidden away for many years in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Constructed at one of the aircraft manufacturers in Witchita KS in the late 1940's to early 50's. It was supposed to become a production car. To me it looks very reminisant of the Aerocar. (flying car) Or maybe even a proto-type of what would become the Aerocar. Google a picture of it. You will see some simularities. I am not sure of the actual name, brand or if it really even had one. Maybe one of you who reads this listing will be able to explain this cars history. Picture #2 shows the guys who built it from left to right. They are as follows: Cameron - Bailey, Max Ray, Kelly Krentz and A. A. Reddy. I contacted Hemmings Motor News Lost and Found to see if they could shed any light on it. I have heard nothing yet. In my opinion it belongs in a car museum. What ever your opinion of the car is. I believe this is your chance to own a very unique, rare piece of automotive and aviation history combined. The car would look great finished in aluminum panels and polished like an Airstream trailer!

The body is constructed of tubular steel. Some of which is rusted away under the driver and passenger seats. The rest of the framing is in good condition and very solid. The doors are very interesting. As that they open on sort of a 45 degree angle like that of an old plane. Door gaps are surprisingly very uniform all around and the doors close nicely. The axles, spindles and suspenssion appear to be that from early aircraft. The rims and tires are definately aircraft. At one time it appears that the car was covered in wire mesh and some sort of plaster was used to form a smooth body. It was then painted a dark green color. There is not much left of the wire mesh and plaster as one can see from the pictures. However what is there. I left it on the car so someone could get an idea of what was used if they were to ever restore the car to original.

Driveline consists of one 2 cylinder Onan air cooled engine. 2 Indian or Harley Davidson motorcycle transmissions. The part number on the transmissions is as follows: 121-38. I am leaning more towards them being Harley. The engine and transmissions were said to be new components when the car was constructed. The engine starts and runs great. I was very shocked to get the engine running with very little effort. They are 3 speed transmissions with reverse. The transmissions seem to shift as they should. From what I'm told the transmissions alone could be worth as much as $4000.00 I have no idea though, as I am not a Harley guy by any means of the word. The car has a gas, clutch, and brake pedal. The shifter to the car is set up like and airplane throttle. It is definately sourced from a plane.

I have a small assortment of parts that go along with the car. 4 sets of fender frames. They are in rather poor condition. 1 set of interesting headlights. Not sure what they are from either. 4 Chrome hub caps and I believe most if not all of the windows.

post-62459-143138430234_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138430236_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138430239_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138430241_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138430243_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138430246_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138430248_thumb.jpg

post-62459-14313843025_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138430252_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138430254_thumb.jpg

George;

I am glad that someone of your caliber picked this up. If anyone can sort it out, you can. There was a discussion on this web site a while back when it was on e-bay and the possibilities mentioned were discussed, but no real conclusion was reached. Best of luck.

Guest Silverghost

George:

Just when I think it is impossible~~~ you have out-done yourself again with buying the very rare and unusual !

I am always impressed with all your car finds !

Good Luck & Keep us updated on it's history !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Very interesting, George.

Have you tried our AACA Library & Research Center to see what is in the huge archives?

On the home page, click on Library on the immediate right hand column.

Peter.

Dear Dave Great hearing from you! I look forward to finding out the history on this car,and either restoring it,or placing it with a museum or individual who will take good care of it. Went to Google Books and searched thru Popular Mechanics and Popular Science thru the index search. Nothing under any of the 4 inventors names,etc. George

Honest I wouldn't want to get off the ground counting on that engine

Aint that the truth! :rolleyes: Just before you clear the trees, the coil will cut out. :eek: Double ended odd ball coil that it is. ;)

Very Cool car. :cool: Glad that it has found an excellent home. :D Dandy Dave!

Here is a link to the older post.

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/interesting-vehicle-ebay-293903.html

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

OK Guys Here is the info off of the Onan 2 cylinder aircooled motor in the Aerocar. Your help finding info on the motor as to when it was built,etc,very appreciated. You can see the original see thru wire screen skin on the car in the original photos. By the way,yes I have already seen that red project body! Amazing. Numbers are , motor vin. 342194 stamped on the block. On the Onan motor tag is stamped the following: model no.( ck-ms16/a) serial no

(17.342194) engine 10 hp. at 3000 R P M THANKS! George

OK Guys A little info; Grumman did NOT have a factory in Wichita in 1950.However several others did including Cessna,Martin. I have contacted David,the historican at the Kansas Aeronautical Museum in Wichita. Maybe he can find something in their archives. Here is the info on the Onan 2 cylinder aircooled motor in the car: Vin # stamped on the motor: 342194. On the metal tag attached to the motor is the following; Model No. CK-MS16/a. Serial number 17.342194. Engine is 10 HP at 3,000 RPMs.According to some Onan guys,it is a Model #CK which was made in the late 1930s and 1940s. Maybe up to 1950ish when the Model CCK took its place. The MS stands for electric start. One Onan guy says it was built in 1947.If anyone has or knows of a Model CK I can buy reasonable please let me know. Keep digging! George

post-62459-143138435999_thumb.jpg

post-62459-143138436001_thumb.jpg

I'll check that Onan that is out back when the snow melts and I can get to it to see the model. It is in an old Wayne road sweeper, but could be easily unbolted. Bug me when the Snow melts least I forget. If you can use it, all you need to do is arrange shipping George. It is only parts, but better to see it saved for parts than scraped. Dandy Dave!