Annual National Award

Guest Corvette Bill

Hi Bill!

I had a gentleman from the King George, Virginia area that stopped by my home last week with a little news. He told me that he got a call from a Committee member and to expect a letter "shortly". He assumed it was a car award. That is all I have heard about so far. I'm sure many AACA members are getting excited, since Christmas "presents" are expected by Christmas!??:cool:

But, just in case, Bill, I heard that the big jolly fellow in red clothing will visit you anyway! ;)

Wayne

I've pondered that last comment Steve, and I must disagree- picking Miss America is very easy - ITS A TIE!

Terry

Well, I got my letter today.

Since my car was restored in 1989, freshened up in 2006, and driven well over 1,000 miles on tours since, I was surprised to be nominated. I would have been really shocked to win.

I was not shocked. I am honored to have been nominated.... and I'll see you guys on the tour routes...

I got nominated for the Ford Award two years in a row (1995 and 1996). I sent my required pictures, etc the first year but didn't win but felt honored to be nominated. The next year I was nominated again. The letter said the same thing - something about how each year a committee goes to all the National Meets and selects vehicles they feel are the best. The thing I thought was odd was that I had not shown my car at a National Meet that entire year (1996) so not sure how they supposedly saw my car. I didn't bother sending anything in that year as I wasn't going to allow my car to be nominated for an award for that year when I had not shown it at all.

To be honest I lost a lot of respect for the award after that happened.

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

Not sure what happened 14 years ago but sometimes mistakes happen with databases. I can tell you that over the last 7 years I have been here the awards list is double and triple, checked by more than one person and it is still a very difficult process as there are 20 plus people on national awards and a lot of awards.

Any one receiving a nomination letter should be proud that an experienced team member thought the member's car was worthy enough in a given criteria to be considered for an award.

Both my friend and I had our cars nominated for a National Award. Because it was what we considered a great honor, we went all out, scouting in advance the locations with which to take our photos and, on the next sunny day we were out snapping away! We even went as far as enlisting the help of the local constable for traffic control so that I wouldn't be run over while searching for that perfect angle. During the next several hours I took 45 of his and 34 of mine, after which it was back on the computer to make our final selections.

Finally I emailed the meticulously chosen four of mine and his to Hulon, secure in the knowledge that we had picked the very best for exposure, color contrast, background scenery, and detail. After two weeks a phone call from Hulon. He hadn't received the pictures. Again I tried, and Hulon responded..still no pictures. He suggested that the files may have been too large and to try sending two at a time. At last success! Apparently my computer hadn't bothered to extend the same courtesy as Hulon , simply chopping the attachments from my email without so much as a fare thee well. Now the waiting begins!

After several anxiety filled weeks, the letter arrives.......better luck next time! Ever hear of the five stages of grief........ Denial, Anger,Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance? That was us, united in it's throes for the next 24 hours. Like many car owners, we had put our vehicles on too high a pedestal. Why were we not chosen? Were the pictures not perfect enough? Had the judges found faults with our cars that we ourselves hadn't noticed? Or had there been so many perfect vehicles nationwide to chose from that we were simply lost in a sea of automotive "eye candy"? We chose the latter. Well, as the prophet says: "There's always next year"

Merry Christmas!

Your Local Neighborhood Cutlasguy

Gentlemen, think about it. 583 cars going for 70 awards! 4500 cars never were nominated so it is a great honor to be considered

It is not about finding faults with a car although ocasionally something pops up that we question (thankfully we meet at the library and can research). It is very dificult when you have to choose one great car over another.

How would you like to have been in the Duesenberg class! (actually we all would like to, I am sure). In any case, there are just so many great cars to choose from that ALL the great cars do not always win. Also, the vote is based upon a majority while some team members may have picked other cars.

I know this does not ease the pain but each of you had serious competition for an award.

I received my letter last week. When I saw AACA as the return address, with such nervous anticipation, I proceeded to open the envelope at the mailbox, actually tearing a corner of the frameable document! Geez!

Alas, I was disappointed to not have been selected as a winner. I would have liked for everyone to see that "National Award" tab on my grill. It indeed was an honor to have been nominated and I will frame that "torn" document as a proud moment in my car's history!

Steve,

Hopefully everybody feels like I do about not winning. I was happily surprised to be nominated. While winning would have certainly been nice, not winning does not change the fun that I have had showing and touring with the car. It does not take away any of the fun that I had at those events with the friends that I have in AACA.

Nobody likes to lose any competition, but in any competition, some win and some lose. To lose at that level is nothing to be ashamed of, so I am not going to let it get me down at all.

And besides, there is always next year to try to do it again...

My Pontiac received two nominations 7 years apart (2000 & 2007) which seemed strange. Went through all the scouting for areas to take pictures, angles, backgrounds, etc but didn't get selected. It was a nice experience and a unique certificate to hang on the wall however its days of showing are over and the touring days have begun.

.....To lose at that level is nothing to be ashamed of, so I am not going to let it get me down at all. ...

Well said Matt. :)

Quite a few years ago actor Paul Newman's daughter showed her horse at Madison Square Garden. When I told someone about that they said with a snear, "Well, she didn't win". Then I asked them when the last time was that THEY showed at Madison Square Garden, even to lose. Funny, the lady didn't have anything to come back with. :P

About thirteen or so years ago a now deceased friend of ours, Glenn (Fritz) Howard's Lincoln was nominated and Bill took the photos of it for Fritz to send in. The car won and the photo was in the club magazine. Fritz and Bill were both pleased as you can imagine. :)

It was a nice experience and a unique certificate to hang on the wall however its days of showing are over and the touring days have begun.

Wish I had received a nice certificate to hang on my wall - all I got was a "sorry you didn't win letter". The certificate would have been nice to display - I didn't see any point in displaying a letter.

Bob

An interesting topic.

I've been a member of the AACA for over 45 years and the National Awards process remains a mystery to me. I don't recall ever hearing of or reading a formal or written set of guidelines for competing for a National Award. Perhaps there are no guidelines and it is a fluid proces that changes from year to year. I have heard more than once, including at a seminar some years ago at the annual Meeting In Philadelphia, that the more times a vehicle is shown in a given year the better your chances are. Is this true? Does the quality of the photos really matter and does the committee look at all four views of every nominated vehicle? The only other thing I've heard about the process is that it is in the hands of our most experienced judges. Are board members the only judges? How many judges are there?Are there different judges for each award and do all judges get to vote in all categories? What are the judges looking for and is there anything an owner can do to prepare a vehicle for this competition? To say "try again next year" rings hollow if a nominee doesn't know what the judges are after and there really isn't anything he or she can do. From what I read in this thread, it sounds as if a National Award just happens--or doesn't.

Please help this confused old member!

BMW*39,

Here is some information that you might want to read to learn more about The National Awards Program.

National Awards

It is clear that National Awards are not something handled casually by AACA. There is a thorough process. The process is explained in the Policy and Procedure Manual. Most members have probably never read the Policy and Procedure Manual, but it is available to anybody on the main AACA webpage.

Here is the information from the Policy and Procedure Manual:

NATIONAL AWARDS

3.1 INTRODUCTION

The AACA has established a comprehensive awards program to recognize outstanding achievement, superior contribution to the AACA and the hobby, participation in special events and restoration excellence. The program includes four categories of awards: National Awards, National Meet Competition Awards, Region/Chapter Newsletter Achievement Awards Program and Webmaster Awards.

National Awards are presented to selected recipients based on criteria established by the Board of Directors. The awards are divided into two general groups. Some are presented for outstanding vehicles entered in AACA National Activities and others are presented for specific achievements of individuals or organizations. The trophies for these awards have been donated to the AACA and many of them memorialize specific individuals for their contribution to the automotive industry or to the Antique Automobile hobby. The original trophies are displayed at the AACA National Headquarters and recipients receive a special trophy commemorating the award during the Awards Banquet at the AACA Annual Meeting.

National Meet Awards are presented at each National Meet and Annual Grand National Meet. AACA vehicle classifications and Junior and Senior Award categories were adopted starting with the Spring Meet at Pottstown, Pennsylvania, on June 14, 1952. The Preservation Award category was adopted starting with the Spring Meet at Chattanooga, Tennessee, on June 16, 1979. Annual Grand National Meet awards were adopted starting with the first AGNM in Clarks Summit, PA, on July 26, 1980. These awards recognize restoration excellence and spe-cially designed trophies and plaques are presented to the winners at the meet awards banquet.

Plaques that identify National First Place winners (Junior), Senior Award winners, Grand National First Prize winners, Senior Grand National Award winners and National Award winners are given to the recipients. These plaques are permanently mounted on the vehicle to clearly identify it as an award winner.

AACA PPM-2010 (2/10)

Page 31 of 97

Awards for Region or Chapter newsletters are based on participation in the Region/Chapter Newsletter Achievement Awards Program. The AACA Publications Committee, chaired by V.P. of Publications, selects recipients and the awards are presented at the Annual Meeting.

The Internet Committee, chaired by the Vice-President Internet, determines awards for excellence in producing region websites.

3.2 POLICY FOR NATIONAL AWARDS

3.2.1 Presentation of National Awards

National Awards are presented at the AACA Annual Meeting in Philadelphia. The trophies that commemorate each award are on permanent display at the National Headquarters. Recipients will receive a special trophy in lieu of the actual trophy.

AACA standing committees will determine the recipient for each National Award based on the criteria established by the National Board of Directors. Recipients will be notified in sufficient time to make plans to attend the meeting and will have reserved seats at the Awards Banquet.

3.2.2 National Awards for Vehicles

The National Awards Committee will select the recipients for National Awards for vehicles shown at specified National Meets or Tours. A designated National Awards Judging Team at each meet and the Awards Committee on each tour selects candidates for awards related to vehicles. These candidates will be notified and requested to provide additional information and color slides of the vehicle for further consideration by the committee.

In addition to the special trophy that represents the permanent trophy, each winner will receive a National Award Winner tab. The tab is to be permanently mounted behind the National First Prize Winner plaque on the winning vehicle. Only one National Award will be awarded to any vehicle.

The current AACA National Awards for vehicles shown at National Meets or participating in National Tours, along with associated criteria for winner selection, are listed in the following subparagraphs. The sequence does not represent precedence.

a. The AACA Cup - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding restoration of the year of a pre-1921 automobile entered in each Division. Award established in 1945 by a member who desired to remain anonymous.

b. The President's Cup - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding restoration of the year of a 1921 through 1942 automobile entered in each Division. Award established in 1960 by AACA.

c. The Bomgardner Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding restoration of the year of a post-1942 automobile entered in each Fall Meet. Award established in 1987 by AACA in honor of William and Jean Bomgardner for their years of dedication as executive director and office manager of AACA from 1959 through 1986. Mr. Edward H. Marion donated the trophy.

d. The AACA Past President's Racing Cup - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding racecar entered in each Division. This award was established in 1991 by Mr. and Mrs. Seth Pancoast, Sr. and is a cup won by Erwin Bergdoll on June 18, 1910, driving a Benz at the Point Breeze Race Track in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. P.D. Folwell, Mrs. Hyde Ballard's father, was chairman of the contest board of the Quaker City Motor Club and presented the cup to the winner in 1910.

e. The Joseph Parkin Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Packard entered in each Division. Award established in 1973 by Joseph W. Parkin, Jr., former race driver of the Fairmount Park races and the Point Breeze races. Joseph W. Parkin, Jr., won this trophy in 1910 with a Packard "30".

f. The Post War Car Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Junior Post-War automobile entered in each Spring Meet. Award established in 1982 by the Southern California Region and R.J. LaPorte, Bill Honda, and Al Gherardi.

AACA PPM-2010 (2/10)

Page 32 of 97

g. The James Melton Memorial Cup - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Senior car entered in the Spring Meet in each Division. Award established in 1963 by Dr. Samuel L. Scher in memory of James Melton (1903-1961), former AACA President and internationally known singer. The cup itself is the racing trophy won by the famous Winton Bullet in 1905, and was once a prized possession of James Melton.

h. The Chocolate Town Trophy - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Senior car entered in the Fall Meet in each Division. Award established in 1972 by the Hershey Estates and the Hershey Foods Corporation in commemoration of the first annual Fall Meet held in Hershey in 1954. The Hershey Fall Meet, largest of its kind in the world, has been held continuously since that time.

i. The W. Emmert Swigart Memorial Cup - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding restoration of a rare and unusual automobile entered in a National Meet. Award established in 1950 by Mrs. Swigart in memory of W. Emmert Swigart (1883-1949), former AACA director and an early collector of antique automobiles and automobilia.

j. The S. F. Edge Trophy - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding restoration of the year of a foreign-made automobile entered in a National Meet. Award established in 1956 by Mrs. Edge of England, in memory of S.F. Edge (1868-1940), winner of the Gordon-Bennett Race in 1902, and who was known as the "father of the British motor industry". An associate of the Napier organization, he designed the first six-cylinder engine for them.

k. The Pamphilon Distinguished Car Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to a pre-1916 self-propelled land vehicle of outstanding merit entered in a National Meet. Award established in 1965 by Mrs. L. Edward Pamphilon in memory of L. Edward Pamphilon who gave unsparingly of his time and energy to the Antique Automobile Club of America and to the advancement of the hobby.

l. The Bert S. Harrington, Jr. Brighton Era Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to a pre-1905 automobile. Awarded on the basis of restoration, maintenance or preservation selected from a National Meet or Tour. Donated by Mrs. Lu Harrington in memory of her husband.

m. The Edgar E. Rohr Memorial Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to a 1920 or older Buick Junior or Senior automobile on the basis that it has participated in AACA events and has been driven at least 500 miles or more since restoration. Donated by Mrs. Walser Rohr in memory of her husband, a great promoter of the hobby, who was a National President (1963-1964). The Rohrs participated in more than 23 Revival AAA Glidden Tour® in their 1912 Buick.

n. The Ford Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to Fords of four eras of model years:

Brass Model era & Model "T" era cars...............................................1903-1927

Model "A" cars...................................................................................1928-1931

Pre-War Ford cars...............................................................................1932-1945

Post-War Ford cars.....................................................1946 to current allowable year

One winner will be selected annually from the nominees from all National Meets. Junior and Senior cars are eligible. Competition and commercial vehicles are excluded. All driven and non-driven cars are eligible, with consideration given to driven cars. The award is made on the basis of authenticity, appearance and reliability.

o. The Ransom E. Olds Memorial Trophy - Presented by Oldsmobile Division, G.M.C. at the AACA Annual Meeting honoring the year’s most outstanding restoration at a National Meet by a product of Olds Motor Works or Oldsmobile Division, G.M.C. Trophy donated by Classic Oldsmobile, Merrillville, Indiana.

p. The Louis Chevrolet Memorial Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an outstanding Junior Chevrolet shown at an AACA National Meet during the year. Chevrolet Motor Division, General Motors Corp made this award possible.

q. The Motorcycle Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding restoration of the year of a motorcycle shown at a National Meet. Award established by the Southwestern Two Wheelers Region of AACA.

r. The Minicycle Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an outstanding restoration of a minicycle entered in Classes 5d and/or 5e at a National Meet (other than an AGNM) during the year.

AACA PPM-2010 (2/10)

Page 33 of 97

s. The Hershey Region Junior Truck Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an outstanding Junior truck entered in a National Meet. Award established in 1989 by the AACA Hershey Region.

t. The Hershey Region Senior Truck Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Senior truck entered in a National Meet. Award established in 1980 by the Hershey Region of AACA.

u. The Mercer Plaque - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Mercer automobile entered in a National Meet and judged on the basis of age, authenticity, appearance and mechanical condition. Award established in 1956 by the late honorary member, Vincent Galloni, who was a Mercer employee during the existence of that company, and who was the greatest Mercer authority until his death in 1958.

v. The Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Award - Awarded to an outstanding Auburn, Cord or Duesenberg automobile presented at an AACA National Meet. Selection may be a Junior or Senior vehicle. This award was made possible by the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, Auburn, Indiana.

w. The Thomas McKean Tour Trophy - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an antique automobile, which completed a National Tour, on the basis of age, authenticity, appearance, condition, and distance traveled to and from the tour. Award established in 1949 by Thomas McKean, former President of AACA.

x. The HPOF Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to the outstanding vehicles in the HPOF (Historical Preservation of Original Features) class in three categories:

Two- or three-wheel cycle vehicle--Award established in 1988 by the AACA Northern California Antique Motorcycle Region.

Vehicles through 1929 (excluding two- or three-wheel cycle vehicles)—Award established in 1991 by the AACA Hershey Region.

Vehicles 1930 through current allowable year (35 years old or older)—Award established in 1992 by the AACA Hershey Region in memory of Shirley M. Mader, longtime member and Secretary of the Hershey Region.

y. The Foo-Dog Trophy - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Rolls-Royce automobile entered in a National Meet judged on the basis of age, style and quality of coachwork, authenticity, appearance and mechanical condition. Award established in 1945 by former AACA President D. Cameron Peck. The trophy itself is an ancient and valuable Chinese work of art. The FooDog Trophy Awarded at the Annual Meeting for the best RollsRoyce car of the year entered in a National Meet judged on the basis of age, style and quality of coachwork, authenticity, appearance and mechanical condition. Former AACA President D. Cameron Peck presented this award in 1945.

z. AACA Post War Buick Award - To be awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Post War (WW 2) Buick entered in a National Meet. Donated by Eileen and Jeffery Brashares of Worthington, Ohio.

aa. Walter P. Chrysler Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Chrysler-built vehicle (Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, Imperial, Jeep), car or truck, shown at the National Meet during the year. Award established in 1998 by Darrell L. and Jacqueline Davis.

bb. Benny T. Bootle Memorial Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding V8 Ford automobile, which completed an AACA Founders Tour or an AACA-sponsored Revival AAA Glidden Tour®. Award established in 1997 by Donna Bootle.

cc. The Cadillac-LaSalle Award – Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an outstanding Junior or Senior Cadillac or LaSalle shown during the year at a National Meet.

dd. Discontinued Automobile Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an outstanding automobile whose manufacture ceased during the period of 1939 through current allowable year entered in a National Meet. Award established in 1999 by Darrell and Jacqueline Davis in honor of Paul D. Davis.

ee. The George M. Holley Award – Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding restoration of a 1921 through 1942 antique vehicle in a National Meet for each division, Senior Vehicles only.

ff. The Peterson Fire Apparatus Award – Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding fire apparatus entered in a National Meet.

gg. Senior Chevrolet Award – Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an outstanding Senior Chevrolet shown at an AACA National Meet during the year. This award was established in 2002 by Lafayette and Janice Williams.

AACA PPM-2010 (2/10)

Page 34 of 97

hh. The AACA Bus Award – Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to the most outstanding bus shown annually at an AACA National Meet. This award was established in 2008 in honor and memory of Samuel D. LaRoue, Jr. The historic Museum of Southern Florida endowed this award in Sam’s memory in grateful appreciation for his service and generosity to the museum. The museum is also home to Sam’s 1932 Twin Coach.

ii. The Drivers Participation Award – Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting. The Drivers Participation Award (DPC) recognized an outstanding car and owner who exemplify the spirit of maintaining and driving a collectible vehicle. This award was established by Patricia Bittner Swigart and Family in memory of John E. Bittner, Jr. and William E. Swigart, Jr. It was a particular passion of both Mr. Bittner and Mr. Swigart who believed historic vehicles were meant to be enjoyed not only as works of art but for the fun of driving on the highways.

jj. Factory High Performance – Awarded at the Annual Meeting to an outstanding vehicle shown at a National Meet in Class 36. Award established in 2008 by the Cooper family in memory of Tom Cooper.

3.2.3 National Awards for Individuals or Organizations

Specified AACA standing committees or the Board of Directors, as applicable, selects the recipients for these awards. The responsible committee based on the award criteria will identify candidates for these awards.

The current AACA National Awards for individuals or organizations for specified contribution to AACA and the hobby, along with associated criteria for winner selection and selection committee (in parentheses), are listed in the following subparagraphs. The sequence does not represent precedence.

a. The Augustus Post Memorial Plaque - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to the AACA member doing the most to preserve or re-create the spirit of the original Revival AAA Glidden Tours® during a National AACA Tour. Presented first in 1953 by AAA and since 1959 by AACA in memory of Col. Augustus Post, a founder of the AAA, early motorist and aviator, and instigator and participant of every original Revival AAA Glidden Tour® (1905-1913). He participated with AACA in every Revival AAA Glidden Tour® from 1946 until his death. (National Awards Committee)

b. The Charles E. Duryea Cup - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an AACA member for outstanding effort on behalf of the club on the basis of the value of the member's contribution to the general welfare of the AACA. Presented by Marion and M.J. Duryea in memory of Charles E. Duryea (1860-1938), who along with his brother, J. Frank Duryea, invented the first recognized gasoline automobile in America in 1893 in Springfield, Massachusetts. (National Awards Committee)

c. The Fiala Old Faithful Award - To be awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to a member of AACA, not elected or appointed to a National office, who best exemplifies the true spirit of our Founders for service and accomplishment to the Antique Automobile Club of America by his or her deeds and display of enthusiasm through the years. The children of Theodore and Suzanne Fiala established this award in 1995 in their parent’s memory. (National Awards Committee)

d. The AACA Library & Research Center Award - Awarded annually to the person who made an outstanding contribution of any kind (personal service, financial support or other aid) to the AACA Library & Research Center. Presented to AACA in 1984 by Harry and Lorraine Logan. Lorraine was the first secretary of the AACA Library & Research Center.

e. AACA Museum, Inc. Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to the person or persons whose dedication and personal service has contributed to the general welfare of the AACA Museum. Presented to the AACA in 1999 by the AACA Museum Advisory Council. Winner selected by the AACA Museum, Inc.

f. The George R. Norton, Jr. Membership Award – Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an individual or group which has significantly contributed to the development and growth of AACA membership. The award was established by the Ontelaunee Region of AACA in memory of George R. Norton, an AACA Past National President and a founding member of the Ontelaunee Region.

g. The I.C. Kirkham Membership Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to the Region or Chapter with the greatest membership gain according to a weighted formula that con- siders the number of new National members acquired and the percentage of increase in membership. The Genesee Valley Antique Car Society Region in memory of Elmer Bassage, who probably sponsored more new members for AACA than any other person, presents this I.C. Kirkham trophy. (Membership Committee)

AACA PPM-2010 (2/10)

Page 35 of 97

h. The Samuel E. Baily Memorial Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an AACA member "in recognition of an outstanding contribution to the improvement of performance in the AACA judging system". Presented to the AACA in 1968 by Mrs. Samuel E. Baily in memory of Samuel E. Baily, who was a pioneer in complete restorations and prepared the basis for our present-day judging. (Class Judging Committee)

i. The Thomas J. Wells Memorial Award - To be awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an AACA Field Judge whose continued performance has contributed to the success of the judging program. Tom Wells set high standards for judging and this award is made to those who give of their time and knowledge to support the AACA judging system. Selection shall be made by the Judging Committee and the National Awards Committee. (Class Judging Committee)

j. The Founders Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to the National Director, selected by his fellow directors who, in their opinion, has contributed outstandingly to the guidance of AACA toward its founding principles: the perpetuation of the pioneer days of automobiling by furthering the interest in and the preservation of antique cars, and by promoting sportsmanship and of good fellowship among all its members. The trophy itself is the actual steering wheel from the 1907 Thomas Flyer driven by Montague Roberts in the 1907 Briarcliff Road Race, given to Robert and Dorothea Laurens in 1952 by their dear friend, Montague Roberts, one of the great pioneer race drivers of the early 20th Century. It a presented by Mr. and Mrs. Laurens in memory of “Monty” Roberts to AACA in 1975 through the efforts of Founding members Frank Abramson, Ted Brooks, and Ted Fiala, Sr. for use as the “Founders Award – Steering Wheel Trophy”.

k. The Annual Grand National Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to the owner of the vehicle participating at the Annual Grand National Meet which best exemplifies the restoration, preservation and enjoyment of antique motor vehicles in keeping with the purpose of the Antique Automobile Club of America. Award established in 1980 by the Scranton Region of AACA, host Region of the first Annual Grand National Meet. This is the only National Award presented for the Annual Grand National Meet.

l. Winters Racing Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an AACA member in recognition of an outstanding contribution to documented racing vehicles by his or her deeds and display of enthusiasm. James E. and Clarice B. Winters, racing enthusiasts, established this Award in 1996.

m. The AACA Plaque - The AACA Plaque is awarded in recognition of outstanding achievement in the preservation of automotive history. (National Awards Committee)

n. The Ann S. Eady Memorial Award - Presented to the editor of a Region or Chapter newsletter for their contribution to the general welfare and spirit of the Antique Automobile Club of America. Presented by the Southeastern Region of AACA, the trophy itself is Ann S. Eady's typewriter, which she used as editor of "Peachtree Parade" from 1965 to 1974. (Publications Committee)

o. The Thomas McKean Memorial Cup - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for worthwhile effort during the year in automotive historical research on the basis of accuracy, interest to club members, and the use to which the research is put. Presented by the AACA in 1949 in memory of Thomas McKean (1909-1949), former president and bibliophile. (Publications Committee)

p. The M. J. Duryea Memorial Cup - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to an AACA member for outstanding contribution to automotive history through the ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE magazine during the year. Presented in 1958 by the AACA in memory of Merle J. Duryea (1895-1957), a former president and editor who contributed more to the success and growth of the AACA than any other individual in his time. (Publications Committee)

q. The Editorial Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to a member of the staff of the ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE magazine in recognition of outstanding editorial services. This award is sponsored by the Raymond E. Holland Automotive Art & Toy Collection, Allentown, Pennsylvania, and is awarded annually. (Editor, ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE). This award is selected by the management of Antique Automobile.

r. AACA Young Peoples Award - This Award is a $1,000.00 cash award given to any high school senior child or grandchild of an active AACA member in good standing for at least three years who has been accepted into an accredited institution of higher education leading to a bachelors degree or a two-year vocational education program leading to a diploma. This award is given anonymously by another AACA member(s) in the hope that, in the future, a contribution of equal or greater value will be given in return to the AACA or the AACA Library and Research Center for the betterment of AACA and its members worldwide. This award is merit based; and while financial need may be considered, it is not necessary.

AACA PPM-2010 (2/10)

Page 36 of 97

The recipient of the Young People's Award will be chosen by the AACA Youth Awards Committee. The current AACA President appoints the chair of this Special Committee.

Awards eligibility criteria, nomination and selection procedures, and Committee guidelines are contained in Appendix I to this manual.

s. AACA Scholarship. This Award is a $1,000.00 cash award to any AACA member or child or grandchild of an AACA member in good standing for at least three years who has been accepted into an institution of higher learning or is now enrolled in such institution. This Award is granted by the AACA National Board of Directors to encourage our members to further their education and stimulate interest in AACA and the history of vehicles in general. Region or Chapter membership is encouraged but not required.

The AACA Youth Awards Committee, a Special Committee, the chair of which is appointed by the AACA President, will process Award nominations in accordance with the guidelines attached as Appendix J to this Manual.

t. AACA Student Scholarship. A $1,500 cash award to a student currently enrolled in an institution of higher learning leading up to a degree in antique automotive technology and or restoration. This award is granted by the AACA National Board of Directors to encourage young adults to further their education and stimulate interest in AACA and the history of vehicles in general. AACA membership is encouraged but not required.

u. AACA Divisional Tour Award - Awarded at the Annual Meeting to an individual or Region/Chapter in recognition of their outstanding contributions in hosting a Divisional Tour. The AACA Pennsylvania Dutch Region Tour Committee established this award in 1999. The award is a handmade, quilted wall hanging made by Doris Lausch, long-time member of the Region.

v. The Spark Plug Award – Presented at the AACA Annual Meeting to the Webmaster of a Region or Chapter Internet website for their contribution to the general welfare and spirit of the Antique Automobile Club of America. Symbolizing the “Spark Plug” role of the Webmaster, the permanent trophy is a dealer’s display of a spark plug which was donated by Roland and Ruth Dunkelberger.

w. The Senior Master Judging Award - Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting to a Senior Master Field Judge with less than 100 judging credits, in recognition of exemplary performance and knowledge of AACA judging principles and practices. Presented in memory of Glen Neidigh, an AACA Judge with 25 years of experience who gave unsparingly of his time and knowledge and was willing to provide information and research to further the AACA judging system.

3.2.4 Establishing National and Memorial Awards

The AACA will be pleased to accept donations for National Awards and memorial trophies for National Awards. The AACA Board of Directors must approve these awards based on the following criteria:

a. The donor's proposal must be made in writing to the Vice President - National Awards, who will present it to the AACA Board of Directors for consideration.

b. If the proposed award is a memorial award, the person proposed to be memorialized must have been one or more of the following:

· An outstanding automobile pioneer

· A national or international figure (automotive)

· An outstanding contributor to the advancement of the antique automobile hobby or to automotive history

· An outstanding member of AACA who has contributed significantly to the advancement of AACA

· The Name of the trophy cannot include the name of the person being honored. The description engraved on the permanent trophy may contain such information.

c. The trophy design itself must be approved by the AACA Board of Directors or their appointed committee.

d. The AACA Board of Directors reserves the right to determine the rules governing the awarding of the trophy.

AACA PPM-2010 (2/10)

Page 37 of 97

e. The AACA Board of Directors will determine the monetary contribution needed to underwrite the cost of the engraved trays that will be awarded to the winners. Currently, the endowment required is $3,500 for a single National Award and $14,000 if four division awards are to be presented.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

Kind thanks for pointing out the Policy and Procedure Manual. Yes, indeed it does give a fine description of the awards. However, I suppose what I am after is a description of the mechanics of the process.
Members of the National Awards Committee select vehicles at each and every meet that they feel meet the criteria for these awards.

At the end of the year they take all of these nominations, and notify each of these owners in writing. This envelope usually comes the week after Hershey. In my case this year I got the letter the Friday after Hershey, last year my dad got one the Saturday after Hershey.

From those letters, the owners are required to send in a photo of each corner of their vehicle as well as fill out the questionaire about their vehicle. In the case of this year, the photos and questionaire had to be returned to the Vice President of Class Judging by November 15th. If you don't return your information by the deadline, you are automatically eliminated from the competition for the national award.

On December 3rd the national awards committee sat down, took all of the vehicles that were nominated that had turned in their required photos and ducumentation, and based on all of that they made the final decision as to which vehicle would win which award.

The man from my region who won was notified that he won on December 10th. I found out that I lost on December 17th. Last year my dad found out that he lost on December 26th. It seems like the winners find out first, while the losers find out last.

I hope this explains this well enough to your understanding.

An interesting topic.

I've been a member of the AACA for over 45 years and the National Awards process remains a mystery to me. I don't recall ever hearing of or reading a formal or written set of guidelines for competing for a National Award. Perhaps there are no guidelines and it is a fluid proces that changes from year to year. I have heard more than once, including at a seminar some years ago at the annual Meeting In Philadelphia, that the more times a vehicle is shown in a given year the better your chances are. Is this true? Does the quality of the photos really matter and does the committee look at all four views of every nominated vehicle? The only other thing I've heard about the process is that it is in the hands of our most experienced judges. Are board members the only judges? How many judges are there?Are there different judges for each award and do all judges get to vote in all categories? What are the judges looking for and is there anything an owner can do to prepare a vehicle for this competition? To say "try again next year" rings hollow if a nominee doesn't know what the judges are after and there really isn't anything he or she can do. From what I read in this thread, it sounds as if a National Award just happens--or doesn't.

Please help this confused old member!

1. Yes, the more time a car is shown the more the team members get to see it and evaluate it. Also there are divisional awards so if you show in multiple divisions that helps your chances as well.

2. Yes, the quality of the photos do matter as some team members may have not personally seen the car during the year. We do not necessarily look at all the photos but the VP of national Awards does.

3. No, the committee is not made up of only board members, The list of names are also on our website.

4. There are at least 21 judges but there have been more at times

5. At each meet judges are assigned to classes. At times in pairs and at times singly. Many times they are given different classes from meet to meet to round out their experience.

6. National Award judges pick outstanding cars in each category. Simple as that. If you have a high point outstanding car that fits a particular category you have a chance to be nominated. Think of it as an Oscar. The movie stars cannot do "anything" to get nominated, they just need to do their best acting job possible and the academy picks them. Emmies, Tonys, etc. are all the same thing so this is a universally used process that is somewhat subjective. So same for our national awards, you do the best you can and then it is left in the hands of the judges.

All I can tell you is that as a former winner before I took this job and a guy who knew very few national award judges I always had some of the same questions you have. Now that I am on the team I get to be a part of the process and it is very hard to pick the winners. It gets down to a vote of the majority from an insanely group of great cars. How do you pick 1 out of 10 or more "perfect" cars? The team does their best, but as in the movies, the Oscar goes to our favorite.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Pat and Steve, thanks very much for your answers. Steve, I especially appreciate you taking the time to address each of my questions. I understand that the Awards Committee has no easy task, but what a car show it is treated to when it sees photos of nothing but the very best vehicles!

Pat and Steve, thanks very much for your answers. Steve, I especially appreciate you taking the time to address each of my questions. I understand that the Awards Committee has no easy task, but what a car show it is treated to when it sees photos of nothing but the very best vehicles!
You're welcome. I'm in a situation where I was nominated in 2007, didn't know what to expect, didn't know when to expect it, the letter got lost in the shuffle, and I never made the deadline, so I missed the cut.

In 2008, we didn't bring the truck out at all.

In 2009 we brought the truck to Topeka, Kansas, for the dual meet crushed the competition, and never got nominated.

In 2010 we brought the truck to New Bern, won a Senior Grand National with it, brought it back to the Canandaigua Meet, and put the truck away for the rest of the year. got nominated and lost.

Can I figure it out?? No way!! Obviously if the truck wasn't good it wouldn't have won a Senior Grand National, but when you've only had 6 fire trucks that ever won a Senior Grand National, and at least 2 of those 6 (I think it's 3) have already won a national award I'm left scratching my head. It isn't like there's 20 Mustangs out there or a pile of Model 'A's.

Yeah we got beat, but whatever (or whoever) beat us, they couldn't have beat us by much.

Unless a national meet comes close to home, it'll most likely be at least three years before you see the truck come back out. Not because we're upset, but because we have other cars in the collection that have never gone for a First Junior or Senior. In order to bring the truck out, also requires us to borrow a trailer.

These national awards are like professional athletes going for championships.

.......You've got to lose a few before you can win.

Guest Corvette Bill

My Corvette was nominated in 2009 and again in 2010, I would love to win a National award to go with the Grand National award it received in New Bern in 2010.

But when I started this frame off restoration in 2004 (with all work done by myself) I never gave any thoughts to ever showing in a AACA national meet, till I took the car to a local meet with the Mason Dixion chapter of the AACA, and was asked if I have ever shown in a National meet, I didn't even know how to go about it, the member explained how to go about showing.

My first show was Eastern spring meet 2008 and got it's first Junior, and it's senior that same year at Hershey. I owe a lot of thanks to that Mason Dixion Judge who started me in the AACA (not sure of his name) So to wrap up a long story I am quite honnored to have at least been nominated two years in a row with such a high class of automobiles, never in my wildest dreams did I think that would ever happen.

Bill

One thing I found out about National awards is that anything held after Hershey is not considered until the following year.

If that is true that would explain why I was nominated in 1996 when I never showed the car that year but had shown it at the 1995 Fall Southeastern Meet in Panama City that was held after Hershey

Bob

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

I am not sure when the rule went into effect. I am confident they are constantly being updated.

I know this to be true from personal experience. I was tour chairman for the 2009 AACA Vintage Tour. Although the tour received great reviews, we didn't win. I was told by several directors that the reason was because the tour did not qualify for the 2009 National awards because it was held post Hershey. The tour dates were October 26-30,2009. I was told that we would be considered for 2010 awards.

When the 2010 letters came out (and I didn't hear anything), I contacted the VP of Awards to verify that it was a case of we just lost and not forgotten. I was once again told that anything held after Hershey did not qualify for that year's awards. The reason given was the time it takes to process the nominations. However, the committee doesn't meet until the 1st week in December. Since there will probably be only one event held after Hershey at most, I would think that would be enough time for the process to take place while waiting for the other nominations to come in. In 2009 & 2010, the only events after Hershey have been tours. Only 5 of the national awards involve tours-the Thomas McKean Tour Trophy, Augustus Post Memorial Plaque, Bert S. Harrington, Jr. Brighton Era Award, The Edgar E. Rohr Memorial Award, and the Benny T. Bootle Memorial Award.

It just makes sense to me that all shows and tours be considered for the year in which they were held. On this same note, this year's Reliability Tour does not qualify for 2010.

" I would think that would be enough time for the process to take place while waiting for the other nominations to come in"

Judy, by all accounts you had a great tour! However, your statement above is not correct. Since the tour vehicles are eligible for awards their leaves no time to complete all the necessary paperwork for our usual first week in December meeting. As you know full well, there is a lot of work in this club that goes on behind the scenes that is not evident to the average member. The great 75th website you put up did not happen overnight either.

It would be nice for every chairman and every tour to get award as they all took a lot of work. It is just not possible so people have to just enjoy the compliments of a job well done.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Steve,

You are right in that the most important thing is that the people who took the time and spent the money to go on the tour had a great time. I believe those that came on our tour did. This is the best award you could ever receive. :D

I personally don't have a problem with the fact that we didn't win. This is, after all, a competition and subject to the opinion of the judges. However, even if I had won this year, I would still hold to the belief that all events should be judged in the year that they were held. I know there is a lot of preparation that goes into the award process. However, in the last two years, both post Hershey events have been tours, which have a fewer number of awards to process than a car show. I think some obvious disadvantages appear in the system when you are held over a year.

There is no easy answer to this problem as more and more shows/tours in the future will probably be planned post Hershey because of a full summer calendar.

Judy Edwards

1999 & 2009 Tour Chairman AACA Vintage Tour