Restore or leave as is

Guest 1929model75

Guest 1929model75

I just purchased this 1931 Chrysler CD 8 the last time the car was on the road was 1941 still has original 41 PA plates and inspection. I have gotten it running sounds great. I had the original interior steam cleaned almost perfect except for some rips in the driver section of the seat. My plan is to make it perfect mechanicly and clean it up and leave it the way it is for hpof your thoughts and comments are welcomed

post-41842-143138357501_thumb.jpg

I am a firm believer in leaving things (antiques and old cars) as original as I can for as long as I can. I am sure people get tired of this, but "it's only original once". If it does not absolutely need to be restored to drive and enjoy, leave it as it is. Later, if you have the cash and the will and the tools, by all means, restore it if you like. It all boils down to this: if you like to drive it as is and enjoy the thumbs up for driving an original, keep it as is. If you want ohs and ahs and trophies, restore it. Nice car! John

Guest De Soto Frank

Carefully clean / preserve / conserve what is there.

Rebuild mechanics / brakes as necessary to make it safe, but preserve the rest.

Original survivors are invaluable as references for judging and for use in guiding other's restorations.

That looks like a very nice example, but if it is a non-Imperial, standard factory bodied Chrysler, you would probably spend more money on a complete (correct) restoration than the car is worth...

Would love to see this in HPOF at Hershey !

I agree with Frank--being a non-Imperial sedan, it would probably cost much more to restore than you would really want to have in it. That said, I think any Chrysler of this era, especially a '31, is a fantastic automobile.

I have an untouched original car, and it often seems to draw more attention than the shiniest restorations.

However....

1. If you want a driver for serious touring, an original car can have its limitations. It can also be more vulnerable to poor weather than a well-waxed new paint job.

2. If the car could suffer further degradation by keeping it original, that may not be the way to go. I'm certainly not suggesting that this would be negligent, but things can get worn out. Certain components could be restored selectively, while still maintaining the spirit of the original car.

Looks like fun, whichever way you go.

Guest EMF-Owner

I am also on the "Keep it Original" bandwagon. Car looks to good to restore. Fix the mechanical things, clean the paint, clean the bright-work and enjoy it just the way it is.

Guest De Soto Frank
Desoto Frank you will also see it at the Scranton Rgion show. I go every year with my 29 roadster.

I'm looking forward to seeing it !

I love the '29 - that's a gorgeous car !!!

We need more "antiques" at local region shows !!!!!

:cool:

Guest 1929model75

Thanks Frank look forward to meeting you. Seems everyone shares my idea to leave it alone. I will get more pics when im off next week to post here

Guest Kingoftheroad

I'm all for keeping it as original as possible. Its always SUPER interesting to see true survivor. If it has good patina, you should probably leave it alone. Just do the little things here & there like the seat, the mechanicals, etc...

To anyone that has purchased one that has been messed up in the past before they bought it, your car will be their template as to how it should be.

Photos are great to refer to, but a real vehicle to look at is priceless to someone trying to undo incorrect items on a vehicle they are trying to put back to the way it came from the factory.

Like others I look forward to seeing it proudly displayed in the HPOF class. Good luck with it and be sure to continue to post photos of your progress with it. :)

I also vote for leaving it original. It's only that way once. So many cars are restored to better then new condition and not 100% correct due to parts not being available anymore or just the restorer not taking the time to find the original part or because of lack of money to buy or have the part made. This is a time piece that shows how the car was built back then. Please keep it original.

I have a 1929 Graham-Paige 827 CCCA Full Classic, the car is completely original right down to the paint (I am told it may be the most original 827 in the world). I hear all the same arguments. I have seen restored cars with chrome hinges and chrome oil filters, you know those "100 point show cars". If any of the judges would take time to look at a real original cars they would have to change most of their "rules", I digress. The best part of owning a survivor car, is exactly that it still is a car. My kids and I jump in and head out for a ride to the park or take in a car show. I like to park in the lot. Show cars are exactly that, pieces of art to look at, who would drive a $100,000+ restoration anyway? You will not get as many trophies, you will not get as many complements. What you will have is a great representation of built in the USA 70+ years ago, a time machine, drive it, enjoy it, and point out all the over restored cars you can, when they say you are wrong, bring them over to your car. If you feel the need for more attention get some white walls and a fedora. Oh driving these cars and owning one are different, if you need any help ask one of the survivor car guys (Franklin club is great). I leave my fedora on the seat.

I own a survivor and will show it as such, but I disagree with your statement about driving valuable vehicles. I buy my show cars finished, drive them, maintain them and repair them as necessary. It's a lot easier to keep a restored car in nice shape than it is to bring one back from disrepair. Do I decrease their value by driving them? I don't really care. Cars are meant to be driven, not put on a pedestal.

Barry,

I agree the best thing to do is drive them. Cars are designed to run not be stationary art, but when you have so much time and money in them we want to put them on a pedestal. I also agree with you that the best way to get the next generation to love old cars is to get them out and drive them! better yet give them a ride. What I am getting at is the satisfaction of owning a survivor car is different than a restored car. A restored car spotlight is at the show. A survivor car is driving and enjoying the car. If you want the spotlight sell the survivor car and get a show car.

Guest 1929model75

Just wanted to post more pics . We got it started runs great rubbed out the paint, steam cleaned the interior. Now Im have to do the brakes, wheels and tires

Just wanted to post more pics . We got it started runs great rubbed out the paint, steam cleaned the interior. Now Im have to do the brakes, wheels and tires

O.K....I'm ready......I don't see 'em, yet...