1933 Continental history help.

Barry Wolk

My 1933 Continental Flyer is on it's way to me. I'd like to get the history straight.

If I understand correctly the DeVaux company went out of business in 1932. The Continental Engine Company bought the assets and set about building out the remaining DeVaux bodies using Continental engines and called them DeVaux-Continental. Those bodies had conventionally hinged doors attached to a wood frame.

The 1933 Continental was an all steel Hayes body with suicide doors available in three levels. The 4-cylinder Beacon and 6-cylinder Flyer were both on a 107"

wheelbase while the top end Ace had a bigger engine and rode on a 120" wheelbase chassis.

Do I have that correct?

november82010135.jpg

november82010134.jpg

november82010137.jpg

november82010136.jpg

Yes, West, I'm losing the box. The lines are much too nice without it.

Very nice, Barry. You may have some success by contacting the AACA Library & Research Center.

I checked the On Line Catalog and the following showed up with the Keyword: "Continental Flyer".

Marque or Author: Wagner, William, 1909-

Title: Continental! :--its motors and its people /--by William Wagner.

Published: [Washington, D.C.] : Armed Forces Journal Intenational ; Fallbrook, CA : Aero Publishers, c1983.

Description: ix, 240 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.

Subject: Continental Motors Corporation -- History

Internal combustion engine industry -- United States -- History

Dewey call number: 338.7621430973

LC call number: HD9710.U54 C658 1983

ISBN: 0816845069 (Aero) :

Thank you.

You are quite welcome. There may be more that is not listed in the On Line Catalog. Personally I would contact our Librarian, Chris Ritter via a phone call or On Line Request to see what other materials may be available. Possibly something specific or more definitive to your query.

Our AACA Library is "public" so you do not have to be a member of the AACA to accesss the great wealth of old vehicle literature that is retained .

critter@aacalibrary.org or 717-534-2082.

Best,

Peter.

Barry

First thing you need to do if you haven't yet is join the Durant Motors Automobile Club. They cover Durant, Flint, Star, Locomobile, DeVaux, and Continental as well as Frontenac and Rugby. Their web site is The Durant Motors Automobile Club - International. They have a great forum and many knowledgeable members who can help you maintain your car as well as obtain parts etc. Check them out!

There are a lot of nice design cues on this car. I do like the radiator shell, too. It's the first one I've seen chromed.

The car has an interesting history. If you look at this picture you can see the front seat nearly in the back seat. That's because the original owner was 6'9" tall and his wife was 5'2". Good thing, because I'm 6'5".

The original owners kept it for 33 years, selling it in 1966 to the family I bought it from. I am now the third owner in 77 years.

I plan on showing it on the Concours circuit as a survivor.

november82010135.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

" I had posted a couple of weeks ago looking for a tail light lens. I thought I needed two. Guess I'm all set."

"Ahh, Grasshopper... welcome to the early Thirties and before... more than one stop & tail lamp is a crutch..." ;)

Glad you don't have to find another one !

That's a tremendous survivor... especially considering how few were made in the first place...

I really like the hood ornament. That car has great style and looks to be in excellent condition. Congratulations!

The chrome isn't great, but not bad for 77 years. From the pictures the paint looks original.

HoodMascot3.jpg

I had posted a couple of weeks ago looking for a tail light lens. I thought I needed two. Guess I'm all set.

I have been trying for several hours to post the pages that have the drive report on the Continental Beacon. I get a message that says I am missing "security tokens", what ever the heck they are. The link to contact the administrator wont work for me either, so I'm stuck. If you want these pages, I can email them to you or, perhaps, someone smarter than I can tell me how to post them here. All I have are Chuckie Cheese tokens but they won't fit into the USB port

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

I have been trying for several hours to post the pages that have the drive report on the Continental Beacon. I get a message that says I am missing "security tokens", what ever the heck they are. The link to contact the administrator wont work for me either, so I'm stuck. If you want these pages, I can email them to you or, perhaps, someone smarter than I can tell me how to post them here. All I have are Chuckie Cheese tokens but they won't fit into the USB port

You can email them to me and I will try to post them. keiser31@charter.net

My '36 Pontiac had only one tail light and you would not believe how many people had to tell me that my right tail light did not work! Guess they didn't notice there wasn't one. Back to putting your arm out the window! I just can't believe how many drivers there are that have no idea what hand signals are today. Guess that is something they don't teach in modern driver's ed. Nice car, keep it original!

My '36 Pontiac had only one tail light and you would not believe how many people had to tell me that my right tail light did not work! Guess they didn't notice there wasn't one. Back to putting your arm out the window! I just can't believe how many drivers there are that have no idea what hand signals are today. Guess that is something they don't teach in modern driver's ed. Nice car, keep it original!

Not to hijack the thread, but a Talent, Oregon (yes, that's the real name) cop tried to give me a ticket for actually using my arm signals in my 1931 Dodge coupe. He said most people do not recognize those signals any more. I argued the point. He got on his radio and came back to my car and said "Well, I guess you were right" and he let me go. I could NOT believe it. He actually admitted his error (No offense, MCHinson). I drove off with a VERY big smile that day!!

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yes, I understand why Barry put turn signals on the pick-up. I had a person one day almost run me over as my arm was out the window yelling at me for not using my turn signal as I was pulling into a cruise night. It was in the Royal Oak area which I know you are familar with. Barry is not far from there and into even higher traffic area. That is why I moved up north to get out of the traffic!!!

Barry, try Bob's speedometer repair. They are close to you in Howell and do guage repair and restorations. Do not send it out of the country as my brother did with a 40 BMW and got lost as you have no recourse overseas. Took 30 years to locate a set in place of them and had to go to Germany to get them

Guest De Soto Frank

Barry,

You might try to look for some original Continental / Flyer advertising pieces and see whether the cars were shown with black or WWW tires...

Or look at original factory photos / ad pieces for other makes in the same price bracket... might give you some clues as to how it was shod when new...