Look at this Coronet on eBay. Worth selling or buying?

Guest a-chosen-1

I think what 1937 is trying to say is that after you bought the car for let's say $4,000, even if you restored the car with your own labor, you'd probably have to spend $30,000 just in chrome, glass, rubber, paint and other supplies to bring it back to presentable condition... even more if you were trying to make it perfect. With $35,000 invested, it may be worth as much as $15,000 when you're done.

I'm not saying it's not a worthy project, in fact I think it's kind of a cool looking car, too, but you were asking for values and worth. The old car hobby is about fun and preserving history. If it were about making money, there wouldn't be a hobby. So if you like it, buy it. Have fun. IF you end up making a little profit at the end, that would be gravy. But don't expect to.

The original post is from the seller. Chosen, we have a saying in the hobby that a car is worth what one old fool will sell it for and what one old fool will pay for it. Comical but true. You have a unique vehicle and in the hands of the right owner would be a great project. However, it sure looks like it should not be for the timid.

The Air Force history is probably the most appealing part of this vehicle. There may be a Veterans group that would be interested in it. Other than that; and perhaps a bit of movie work potential, there is no rational reason to think there is any financial upside to a vehicle such as this. Interesting and a bit of history yes; a money maker, highly unlikely.

The Air Force history is probably the most appealing part of this vehicle. There may be a Veterans group that would be interested in it. Other than that; and perhaps a bit of movie work potential, there is no rational reason to think there is any financial upside to a vehicle such as this. Interesting and a bit of history yes; a money maker, highly unlikely.

The speculation, as to it being used on a carrier, is funny. When I was in the Navy, we had airplanes, but the Air Force didn't have too many aircraft carriers. Also, there were no ambulances, such as this one, aboard ship. Woulda been a bit difficult winding through the passageways, heading for sickbay;)

$30-$40 K restoration for a 400 point show car would be a fair guestimate again for a 400 point museum piece, but to get it running, painted, and get the upholstery done more like $10 K as long as there is no major engine/transmission work to do. The chrome looked good. If not for the project I have already got I would buy it and do it. However the suggestions that have been made, WPC, Forward Look are good suggestions. I would also add, try calling the Bayer boys in Atlanta, I have a sneaky suspicion that they might be willing to talk to you about it.

It isn't just a Coronet. It is an ambulance. It is a shame that so many people look for "rare" cars and never give ambulances and hearses a second look. I doubt if you could find a rarer Forward Look car. But most people just use ambulances and hearses as parts cars for their so much more common coupes and sedans. Hopefully someone will be willing to put the time and money into it.

Also the seller listing their car here is ok. Pretending to have found a great find and then showing it here as if you are not the seller is tacky, and leads people to not trust anything you say about it if they were interested.