Noontime horn-blow at Hershey??

Guest Plumbr116@aol.com

Guest Plumbr116@aol.com

Is there any truth to the rumor that the AACA is going to have a noon-time horn blow at the Hershey fall meet? The Rough & Tumble Museum in Kinser Pa. has a noontime whistle blow at their Thresherman's Reunion and it's very impressive! Ahooga's at noon could be fun!:)

Guest windjamer

I wouldnt want to hear 1300 horns blow at noon, but I dont understand WHY our National Anthem can not be performed or at least a recording played EACH AND EVERY DAY at Hershey at the start of the day. :(

I have a friend that wears hearing aids in both ears. I can well imagine how that would sound to her, or anyone else that has to wear them. Probably not something they would enjoy. :(

I do agree with windjamer on the playing the USA National Anthem each day. And a few others from other countries might make our foreign visitors feel welcome too. :)

The NATIONAL ANTHEM has been BANNED at Hershey? Please point out the jerk that caused that.

I wouldnt want to hear 1300 horns blow at noon, but I dont understand WHY our National Anthem can not be performed or at least a recording played EACH AND EVERY DAY at Hershey at the start of the day. :(

Guest windjamer
:D lol 37, the Anthem has not been baned, it just is not played each day and I and outhers think it should be.Canandaiqua is to be commended for the outstanding job a (Ithink ) young student performed on show day. I missed show day at Hershey last year due to illness,but I was there Tue. through Fri. morning and dont remember hearing the Anthem. Someone said it might anoy our forign guest, Horse manore,they are guest,its our show our country and our anthem. I think we lose a little more pride in country every year, time to start takeing it back.

Guest Packards1

Please, someone in charge take some leadership and get the anthem played each morning. There are a lot of collectors overseas in harms way who would love to be at Hershey. Their service makes our way of life possible. Play the anthem and honor our country and those who serve. There seems to be no problem making a bunch of useless anouncements over the PA system, at least do something to inspire Americans at the show.

If Bristol Motor Speedway can have a prayer, have a military/ROTC honor guard, have the children of NASCAR drivers and crew to sing the National Anthem, have three men parachute out of an airplane with one of them trailing a LARGE American flag, fire off fireworks to go with the National Anthem and have a branch of the military fly jets or helicopters over the speedway with thousands of fans in attendance...I know that the AACA can arrange for a decent rendition of the National Anthem to be played each day.

Edited by Shop Rat
Correct a type-o. (see edit history)

If Bristol Motor Speedway can have a prayer, have a military/ROTC honor guard, have the children of NASCAR drivers and crew to sing the National Anthem, have three men parachute out of an airplane with one of them trailing a LARGE American flag, fire off fireworks to go with the National Anthem and have a branch of the military fly jets or helicopters over the speedway with thousands of fans in attendance...I know that the AACA can arrange for a decent rendition of the National Anthem to be played each day.

Susan and Dick,

I agree the National Anthem should be played each day. Have you contacted the Hershey Region yet? They are the hosts of the Fall Meet and I would not assume all of these suggestions by you and others on this Forum will be answered here! Contact them and let us know how you make out.

Peter.

Packards1...I am not positive but I think it was played each day last year. We have brought this thread to the region's attention and I just thought of a cool idea with a bi-plane for Saturday that I will bring up tonight. Remember, one person may want Kate Smith to sing it and another has no idea in heck who she is! The single best rendition I ever heard was a trumpet player at Phoenix Raceway. We each have our taste and someone will complain whatever they choose. In any case, Peter is right, if you want change you need to contact those that can make it happen.

Susan and Dick,

I agree the National Anthem should be played each day. Have you contacted the Hershey Region yet? .....Peter.

Peter, I just sent this e-mail to the President of the Hershey Region.

I would like to add my support to the idea of having The National Anthem played each day at the Hershey Meet if at all possible. I also support the playing of the National Anthems of visitors from other countries to help them to feel welcome here.

Susan W. Linden, Sec.

Kanawha Valley Region - AACA

Charleston area, West Virginia

Susan,

Sounds nice, but impractical to me.

Personally I would suggest just the Star Spangled Banner.

If they tried to play the National Anthem for every country represented, you could never get them all without slighting somebody. Also, the crowd is not going to stand there reverently as long as it would take to play even a small percentage of them. If they are going to be ignored by the crowd, that would be less respectful than not playing them.

Besides, Hershey is in only one nation, so only one National Anthem is necessary in my opinion.

:D lol 37, the Anthem has not been baned, it just is not played each day and I and outhers think it should be.Canandaiqua is to be commended for the outstanding job a (Ithink ) young student performed on show day. I missed show day at Hershey last year due to illness,but I was there Tue. through Fri. morning and dont remember hearing the Anthem. Someone said it might anoy our forign guest, Horse manore,they are guest,its our show our country and our anthem. I think we lose a little more pride in country every year, time to start takeing it back.

Dick, the girl who sung the national anthem at Canandaigua was a young lady who was a senior at Canandaigua Academy. In order to give credit where credit is due, Bill Boudway was the one who made this happen. Bill didn't nail that down until Friday night before the meet. He did a great job and really hit a home run.

Guest windjamer
:) Sorry Pat, It was not a home run IMHO it was a grand slam. Its to bad you dont have a recording of her. IMHO Hershey could use it all week. It may have been Bills idea, but its a + for your club you can be proud of. It also gos to prove it dont take all year to get something done,just needs someone to take the bull by the horn as Bill did and Get-R-Done.:D

Good news folks it will be played.

Here is the reply I got today regarding the playing of the National Anthem.

Hello Susan, we discussed the idea about playing the National Anthem each

day and that's what we are planning on doing. As far as the National

Anthem from other countries I'm not sure at this time. Thank you for your

input.

Rich Amspacher

Hershey Region President

I thanked him for his quick response and mentioned that Matt Hinson felt, and I do agree, that the playing of other nation's anthems could create issues if people did not stop what they were doing to show respect. It seemed like a nifty way to welcome them. But I can certainly see where it could cause problems too.

I know that there are folks from many countries but I honestly never dreamed they came in from that many countries.

I have heard many renditions of the Star Stangled Banner in my life. But I have to say there is something special about children singing it. The tempo might be off :rolleyes:, many will be off pitch :eek:, some forget some of the words :o, but they are the ones all of this passes to in time. :)

Guest rednwhitenblue

I'm in Chocolate field and they do play the national athem daily for the last 10 years or so. Trust me. I'm over by Coker Tire and I put up a 20' flag up and Coker does the same.