1 Cylinder Model A?

Steve Moskowitz

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2LWwZI1LM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2LWwZI1LM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This should be in the video section but I was afraid too many will miss it. Enjoy!

Edited by Peter Gariepy
embedded the vid (see edit history)

Briggs & Stratton did manufacture the ignition switches for Ford Model A's.:) Great project, however hand cranking with BOTH hands is not the safest way to start one. :eek:

Yes Steve, thanks for the post! They turned a model "A" engine into a briggs & Stratton.:D

Guest Stllrng.
I really cannot imagine too much kickback on one piston...

"Famous last words"

You should try cranking a one cylinder car and let us know if you feel the same. And for the record, when a multi-cylinder engine kicks back it is only one cylinder that has fired.

I've hand cranked hundreds of engines though the years. Automotive, tractors, and stationary units. I learned early on the correct way to crank and have never broken an arm. As a young un I got clocked in the head a few time with flying tractor cranks though.:eek:...I gotta say, It really ain't made me any smarter. But I don't spin em anymore either. ;) Dandy Dave!

Guest bofusmosby

My grandfather back in the early days (before 1920) broke his finger cranking a car. That never healed right, and that was the reason why he wasn't accepted into service during WWI.

Guest elmo39

ive got to agree with keiser , its only one cyllinder , as for cranking a model A , my fiirst car in 1955 as a 15 year old was a 31 modelA , i had plenty of practise , and was told the correct way to crank it .

I realize just how foolish my post about "not much kick from one cylinder" was. Sorry guys. I should have known better since I spent a lot of time at Greenfield Village as a kid. It may have been a senior moment....or just a D'OH!

Guest elmo39

ok iv,e looked at this heaps of times since my last post, take a good slow look, i have and am sure that just before he swung ? the handle he transfered his thunb to behind the handle . Rex