My new 1957 Buick

Guest lordfeyr

Guest lordfeyr

Just picked up a 1957 Buick Special, 2dr HT

$1600 - Complete minus the passenger side corner glass for the 3 piece rear.

This car needs everything. The motor is in pieces... litterally... I have a box of pistons and wrist pins etc...

The good side is that most of the body work is done. The rockers need repair but its already been cut and I have new rockers already. The floor has some rust that needs repair as does the trunk floor.

Brakes are drum still and have been completely rebuilt.

The wife says its a piece of crap and that if you touch it wrong its going to fall apart...

What do you think?

Buick.jpg

buick2.jpg

buickinterior.jpg

buickundercarriage2.jpg

buickundercarriage.jpg

onthetrailer.jpg

Well , Chief, you have your work cut out for you. But I believe you can convince her to change her mind. May take awhile, but don't give up!!

Seriously, probably looks a lot worse than it is. The tires, if as new as they look, and the new brakes are worth way over half the purchase price. Hang in there and keep us informed.

Ben

It looks as though you have a lot of work ahead of you. But what a fabulous car it will be. Just be sure to set yourself realistic targets and keep achieving them to maintain your interest.

It looks as though pretty much everything is there, I would love to get to grips with it myself !!

Good luck !

Adam..

Guest lordfeyr

Thanks for the replies. She definately needs a bit of work but honestly if she was all one color of primer she would look a million times better.

First thing on the list is the rockers pans. Really only the drivers side front floor pan needs to be replaced and the trunk pan.

After that its on to making sure I have all the glass squared away with gaskets etc....

Lucky for me my best friends father in law is a Buick guru and actually has a 57 364 that he believes runs sitting around his house. He also has a rebuilt 401 that he did for someone who might not be able to pay to have it put in.

The other good thing is that the guy labeled everything as he took it apart. I have baggies of bolts etc... with tags saying what they go to. He is also sending me a digital CD of all the photos of the dismantling process.

As for those tires, yes they look great. A little dirty but they still have the little rubber nubs on them.

buickwhitewall.jpg

buickwhitewalltread.jpg

tri window 57's are cool! Way cool. But the wife will be skeptical till it's done. So take it easy and do the mechanicals before the rockers. Get it running (with some form of exhaust pipes) so she doesn't freak out everytime she looks at it. Do you have the gas tank?

Congrats! It looks like a keeper! They are fun to work on and beautiful when completed! It looks pretty complete. Also it is nice that the former owner took the time to label and bag all the stuff when he took it apart. That will make it go alot smoother when you get to reassembling the car. As for your wife, why not have her give the car a name...that way she will have a stake in the car. Good luck with it. Let me know if you have problems with getting parts..i have some lying around from my 57 Special i'd be willing to part with.

Guest lordfeyr

Thanks guys. The Wife is actually really cool about it. She knows I have wanted one of these for the last 10 years since I was 18, 28 now. She finally gave the go ahead and said happy fathers day to me for this one. More than anything I think she is teasing. She even helped me push it off the trailer. She also said to take my time, we are not in a race to get it done. I think that is more driven by how much money its going to take to get it done though :)

I actually asked her to name it and she said it was all me on that one.

JohnD I do not have the 57 tank. But the guy gave me a tank off a 68 mustang he was planning on using. I havent tried to fit it up there to see if it will work or not though.

Jim I have already got a list of things I need. Trunk Pan, Passenger side corner glass for the 3 window rear setup, a good 57 tank would be awesome too.

Guest Skyking

Wow, nice looking '57! I remember when I brought my '62 Invicta home 20 years ago, my neighbor asked her husband what I was going to do with that piece of junk. When it was all done she couldn't believe it was the same car. I'm sure your wife will feel the same way.

Set a goal, be patience, and you'll have a very desirable car............

I'm certain you can get a tank from Wheatbelt Auto ( Ken Reeves) if not there, Desert Dog Auto parts. Shipping will be a problem though, since used gas tanks are usually considered hazardous.

If you can find one locally you might try to have it refurbished by a gas tank renu dealer. A local franchise redid the one on my 56, which was dented badly, but not leaking, and it looks fantastic. Going on six years or so. Not cheap, but very thorough.

BTW, in case you don't know, there has been much discussion about the one year only balljoints in a 57. Last I recall the discussion indicated these particular ball joints are designed with some looseness. It's been speculated that many have replaced them thinking they were bad, when in reality they were okay. They are tough to find, so when you get to that point, make sure to touch base with some 57 owners before ripping the old ones out.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Guest lordfeyr

Yes and no...

The previous owner said they wanted a project they could drive and this was taking him too long....

He says he purchased the vehicle from a school that taught body work. The instructor passed away so they sold the car.

Thanks for the tip on the ball joints. I recall seeing that on the forums. Hopefully mine are no bad with the price tag those things carry.

Hi. Interesting story about how you got the car. Cool that most of the major body work is done. I do have a set of all 3 rear glass in clear that I would be willing to deal with, if that is what you need. I don't have a tank or trunk, but have lots of trim etc, both interior and exterior. I know it is a labor of love, but it is worth it! Jim

Guest lordfeyr

It is definitely going to be interesting thats for sure.

Yesterday I emptied out all the extra pieces inside the cab and was able to see what the interior looking like originally. Black and White upholstery and dash. Pretty sweet looking if you ask me. The backing boards for the panels are shot so I will need to make new ones or have new ones made.

Also the floor is a bit worse off than I thought. I need to get in there with a wire brush though to get through some of the crud. Looks like the passenger side front pan was replaced, though not so good a job.... It needs drivers front and rear pans and a toe board.

The trunk pan is proving ellusive. One member has one that I am working over in my mind. I wonder if the 58 trunk pan is the same.... Carpet and the other floor pans are the same...

How much are you looking to get for the glass? I really only need the one piece but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi..just noticed a posting on eBay for a gas tank for a 1957 Buick. Know you were looking for one and it is an auction and has a buy now price. Don't know if you still need it, but it is there. eBay motors - 1957 Buick. Hope things are going well with the restoration. Drop me a private message if you are still interested in the glass. Thanks. Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There!

Congratulation with one of the finest automobiles from GM Degsigners, even if some stories say something else. I just bought one my self, you could look at my albums (has a model 63 as well). Would be nice to keep in touch and share both experiencne, tips, advices and what ever else 57 Buick stuff.

It could also be nice if you create a album, it will also be a nice "log" for your self. I have already sent you an invitasion to be friend

Buick - Power and Silence!

J

• 1 year later...
Guest lordfeyr

lol so its been more than a while since I had posted any pictures and to be honest not all that much has been done to the car in the last 2 years :) I do have a couple of updates though....

The floors are kinda sorta in place now. Its starting to look a little more solid now.

floors.jpg

IMG_20120521_113509.jpg

IMG_20120521_113521.jpg

IMG_20120521_113527.jpg

IMG_20120521_113534.jpg

IMG_20120521_113538.jpg

these floors were their own can of worms. They are reproductions that are readily found on ebay. But the dont fit too good and required quite a bit of modification, cutting, trimming, splicing, cursing etc... but once in it looks much much better. And when its all done and a coat of paint, undercoating etc... it will look wonderful.

Here is a pict taken Nov.20, 1991 of my piece of crap the day it arrived from Sacramento. Only difference is that it was a birthday gift to me from my wife. Also in the photo is a neighbor, also a car nut (Camaros, 1967,8 & 9) Her husband owns the pace car used to pace the start of the 1969 Indy. The other picture is of my piece of crap and wife (no more blue camos) taken at the train depot in our home town on March 17, 2012.

Dan

Just picked up a 1957 Buick Special, 2dr HT

$1600 - Complete minus the passenger side corner glass for the 3 piece rear.

This car needs everything. The motor is in pieces... litterally... I have a box of pistons and wrist pins etc...

The good side is that most of the body work is done. The rockers need repair but its already been cut and I have new rockers already. The floor has some rust that needs repair as does the trunk floor.

Brakes are drum still and have been completely rebuilt.

The wife says its a piece of crap and that if you touch it wrong its going to fall apart...

What do you think?

Buick.jpg

buick2.jpg

buickinterior.jpg

buickundercarriage2.jpg

buickundercarriage.jpg

onthetrailer.jpg

post-54279-143138976658_thumb.jpg

post-54279-143138976667_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Guest lordfeyr

LOL my buddies dad is helping me do the welding work. He has the rolling chassis and cab at his house which is part of why its taken 2 years to get this far. :) But hey it looks much better and once we can get a trunk pan in there we can pull the cab and start in on the frame and suspension work.

While the car has been with him however I have had some other work done to the parts that I have.

If you look back at the first couple picture you will see a nice big bondo spot that was on the hood. This was gone over. Ground out, stud nailed to help pop as much out as possible and redone.

IMG_4840.jpg

But before I had that done it got blasted and louvered. It now sits primed and ready for being roughed in one day.

IMG_20110215_142222.jpg

The rest of the removable sheet metal from the front clip was done as well. Fenders, inner fenders, core support etc...

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_20110215_142243.jpg

None of this by any means is perfect but at least the major stuff is straightened and sealed against rusting. Some of the minor dents can be handled when the car is put back together.

IMG_20110215_142301.jpg

Oh and I finally obtained the centerpiece of the interior for the car.

1957 Oldsmobile dash.

DSC01113.jpg

DSC01116.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

I see that you're having some fun with this one - building it your own way. I've always liked the '57 Olds dash, too. It's got kind of a War Of The Worlds look to it, especially with an Autronic Eye standing guard up top. That's a pretty radical changeover - things like heater and wiper controls are going to take lots of puzzling.

Somewhere here I saw some very arty renderings of a '57 Special custom job, which I think is yours. Could you please link us back to that?

post-59990-143138976753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest lordfeyr

hmmmm not a rendering ive done.... this is the only old project i have and the first one ive ever had. Lots of people or i should say several have swapped the dash between these 2 cars and my understanding is its pretty much a djrect swap with the exception of welding. I will be goi.g with electric wipers so thay wk.t be a big deal. It will be figuring out how to route the ducting if necessary.

Guest Rob McDonald

Hmm, guess I'll have to go back through my Safari history to find those drawings. They were very cool.

What other tricks do you have in mind for your car - like suspension, paint, upholstery, etc.?

Nope, my laptop has no memory of these images. Guess it never happened. If I have that hallucination again, I'll be sure to take a picture.

Edited by Rob McDonald
doubting reality (see edit history)

Guest lordfeyr

honestly i do not have too much planned for the car....

The motor will be a 425 nailhead. Ill go the finned accessories route to dress it up though. Trans will be the matching 400 with the switch pitch.

The rear end will be out of a 95/96 impala/caprice police interceptor. This keeps my same bolt pattern and gives me disc brakes and the width is only 1" wider than stock.

I will do a clip up front somehow but not sure what as of yet.

As for interiir its pretty much going to stay stock with the exception of the dash and styling changea in patterns and whatnot. I do want to get a stratobench for it so i van have an armrest in the front and maybe mould in some cup holders.

Guest lordfeyr

HAHA

Not quite. I am just not a coffee person. But it might be the right size for a good energy drink!

If anyone happens to have a stratobench please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

DAVID, I'm glad your purism is selective or someone would challenge you on what's up with that Porsche?! I like most modified cars, unless they're based on especially rare models, of which few original examples remain. There are few post-war Buicks and few 911 Porsches that fit that criteria.