'65 GS with fresh paint

Patrick91914

Guest carlbraun
Finally pulled the car from storage in San Diego yesterday and transported it to Phoenix last night. Going to unload and wash the car today and determine the next steps. Will update with progress.

It's getting cold here (down into the 40s!). So, I may need to wait for the weather to warm up before I get too far into it.

Patrick

Nice to see the activity with the Riv.

Its getting pretty cold here in Fallbrook too where its supposed to hit 32 deg on Monday night. Don't let that deter progress. Pretty soon it'll be 117 deg in the valley of the sun and then it WILL be too uncomfortable to work on the car.

The fuel tank I got from you has been cleaned painted and installed for quite a while. Thanks again for the deal. That simple project turned into springs, bushings and then I threw caution to the wind and ended up steam cleaning the underside of the car and repainting the frame and front end components, reapplying light undercoating, new exhaust system, powdercoated brake plates and drums, balanced driveshaft, complete posi rear end rebuild with new bearings, brake lines, fuel lines and now restoring the front end with new bushings, springs, powdercoated spindles, new radiator, battery cables and engine bay detail. I have to finish the brakes and reinstall the driveshaft and a ton of other small things.

Lets see more pics of that cool turquoise Riv GS and stay active with the car...it'll keep the interest alive.

Good Luck

Carl, glad to hear that the gas tank worked out well for you. I spent a few minutes washing the car and trying to get the white walls white. I'm committed to doing a little every week. Taking stock of what I'm missing and making a list of stuff I need. I have more parts than I know what to do with...mostly need soft trim that has been misplaced over the years.

Still need to detail the motor again. The painter painted the underside of the hood. So, I need to fix that and make the motor look pretty again.

One step at a time.

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd provide an update of the Riv safe at home in my garage. Been taking stock to see what's missing and some basic clean up.

It's was interesting to read the thread on parts that some want reproduced (headlight bezels, wheels, intakes). It's all stuff that I have extras. My biggest stress is finding the little stuff like the trunk lock cover return spring or clips to secure the trunk cardboard. I have no idea how I'm going to solve these problems. Any suggestions?

post-52936-143138784795_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

And, yet again, another bump for a progress update. I told you I was going to keep bugging you.

BTW, it is possible that I may have some trunk cardboard clips from my parts car, but I need to rummage through my GS parts to see if they are missing from it, and if I need to keep them for it.

• 1 year later...

I can beleive that more than a year has passed since I last provided an update. I've been distracted with life......besides there's nothing to update except that I can't get my trunk unlocked. So, I need to pull the back seat to see if I can lossen the screw to the lock assembly. Many of my NOS parts and accessories are buried in there.

Every few weeks I fire up the car. I've started looking at the headlights assemblies and the arms. I plan to start connecting that stuff back up...then again, if you've been watching the news, you know that the temps have hit 122 in Phoenix. Add 10 or 15 degrees for the garage. So, I need to get stuff done when the temps drops to around 100 to make work a palatable.

Patrick,

Is the lock set in place and the key won't work? There are a couple of other things you can try if the lock is in place. Have a locksmith come out and he can cut a key in place that should open the trunk. If you can get access into the trunk, it's just as easy to unbolt the latch from the trunk lid. It's bolted on and the bolts are easier to deal with than the lock itself. If there's no lock set in place, a long straight tipped screwdriver can be inserted into the slot where the lock tang goes. A twist with it and the lock should pop open.

Good luck.

Ed

Guest slacker1965
A good friend of mine used to talk about the 3 T's - Time, Talent, and Treasury. His theory was that the car gods only allowed you to have two of the three at any one time. If you have the time and the talent, you won't have the treasury. If you have the time and the treasury, you won't have the talent, and if you have the talent and the treasury, you won't have the time. Sounds like a lot of us.

Been there before; doing that now.

Ed

Amen Ed Amen......

beautiful job on the car btw.....

ks

OK Patrick: I don't remember if my two units are in your data base. if not please send me a note. As far as repopping 1965 Riviera items....I have at least a dozen 4 barell intakes and I'm sure if I looked around there could be another handful. Wheels? There really doesn't seem to be a shortage of them. I believe some outfit in No. Cal is replating them and the reviews seemed to be good. Cathedral moldings? I guess but I'm not sure of the supply of replateable cores.

I believe that (and please correct me if I'm wrong) there needs to be a molding fastener kit for the body side moldings, seat belt retractor housings for 65, the assembly instruction manual discussed recently sounds fantastic, and if there's any other things I left out I would be eager to hear from them. OPGI of course nailed me once and never again so anything they offer I'm out. Custom pre-assembled door card sets with all the trim sounds good too. Reasonable, good quality rear package trays could work. And finally, quality and a reasonable price would be a dream come true. Mitch

Patrick,

Is the lock set in place and the key won't work? There are a couple of other things you can try if the lock is in place. Have a locksmith come out and he can cut a key in place that should open the trunk. If you can get access into the trunk, it's just as easy to unbolt the latch from the trunk lid. It's bolted on and the bolts are easier to deal with than the lock itself. If there's no lock set in place, a long straight tipped screwdriver can be inserted into the slot where the lock tang goes. A twist with it and the lock should pop open.

Good luck.

Ed

Hi Patrick , Check with a locksmith . I imagine the trunk is full of stuff and you wont be able to get to the bolts . Its a lot of work to get access to the trunk from behind the seat , even if the spare is not in place if its full of stuff . Send me an email when you have time - need to catch up .

Hi Patrick, I was thinking of you the other day when I installed the SUPER Wildcat on my air cleaner. Looking great! Hope it cools enough for you to assemble yours.

Cheers,

Ted

Ted, I'm glad that the decal has found a good place to rest. You should post a pic of the installation. That decal repro project was a task that had to be done...and no, it's not cool enough to do anything (except nothing). We hit 122 over the weekend.

Hi Patrick , Check with a locksmith . I imagine the trunk is full of stuff and you wont be able to get to the bolts . Its a lot of work to get access to the trunk from behind the seat , even if the spare is not in place if its full of stuff . Send me an email when you have time - need to catch up .

Hello Mr Sweeney, I know I'm long overdue for a note. I have the trunk key, but I the lock assembly is not totally secured. I was doing a fit check and it locked and the key will not release the latch. So, I many need to cut it off as a LAST resort.

Hello Mr Sweeney, I know I'm long overdue for a note. I have the trunk key, but I the lock assembly is not totally secured. I was doing a fit check and it locked and the key will not release the latch. So, I many need to cut it off as a LAST resort.

Try pushing down on the lid and turn the key at the same time - worth a try . Try the vacuum trunk release as well .

i wouldnt go cutting anything just yet-im with ed on the locksmith-i took my trunk tumbler in (to locksmith)and they decoded with the number on tumbler-maybe they can get a number off your glovebox tumbler and get in the ballpark of what you need.last resort is problobly drilling out and getting new tumbler-talk to locksmith about options.goodluck-nice riv.T.Nugent roa 12969...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<sigh> Still no progress except now the bumpers are installed. I fire it up one a month; however, now that the temps have cooled down to the 70s, working in the garage is possible so long as it doesn't get much colder. I'd planned to do start putting chrome on the car this weekend, but I think temps will be in the 60s which may be a little cold for me. . .brrrrr.

<sigh> ... but I think temps will be in the 60s which may be a little cold for me. . .brrrrr.

I think temps like that are just fine for me, anything warmer is not that comfortable unless I'm working on my back on a bare concrete floor.

</sigh>

I gotta agree, even me being from Miami, having temps in my garage in the 60's would be ideal. Actually I usually set the AC in my garage to 64. I tend to heat up when I work.

Come on Patrick, I started way after you did, and will be done before you, if you don't get on it. :D

Guest Tim Floyd
Just thought I'd share. Here's my 15 year GS project with a fresh Turquoise Mist suit. This was a color change from Burgundy Mist, a color to which I never warmed up.

Next stop is the upholsterer to install the vinyl top, black cloth, and silver headliner. Wheels have already been replated. I just may get to drive it this summer.

LOVE the color, looks great!!