'65 GS with fresh paint

Patrick91914

Just thought I'd share. Here's my 15 year GS project with a fresh Turquoise Mist suit. This was a color change from Burgundy Mist, a color to which I never warmed up.

Next stop is the upholsterer to install the vinyl top, black cloth, and silver headliner. Wheels have already been replated. I just may get to drive it this summer.

post-52936-143138188235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

I thought that color was seafoam green metallic. I have a '65 that color.

I guess it's the way the sun hits the paint. Seafoam Green over green cloth was my second choice and will probably be the combination I use on my next GS.

I'll post photos later this week as the interior install progresses.

Patrick,

Looks great! Should be a piece of cake to finish it now. :D

Who replated your wheels?

Piece of cake? Yes, me and my friends George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Alex Hamilton have gathered together to get this done. I've had this car almost 15 years and have dragged it all over Southern California with me.

I'm waiting for the vinyl top to come in from SMS and the upholsterer has completed the seat covers and is working on the door panels with a new wood kit. Ordered the trunk kit from Clarks.

The new exhaust from Waldron's has been installed. The final big project will be to get the A/C working. Does anybody know a place in the Phoenix area that car get the A/C going?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the vinyl top just added to the car. For those of you who've thought about adding this option to your car, know that it's easy except for finding the unobtainable stainless trim. I acquired mine years ago and have seen few sets since then.

The top in original NOS fabric came from SMS Auto Fabrics after a three week leadtime and about $350. Most folks love it or hate it. For me, it's money well spent.

The upholsterer will next install the door panels (a Clarks kit) with new wood (from Cars, Inc), vinyl covered armrest bases and rechromed armrest bezels. From there, he'll install the sail panels (headliner, in silver, has already been installed), new sun visors (from Clarks) package tray and then seats (black cloth/vinylfrom Clarks) and seat belts.

The stainless trim is being polished. So, once that's done I'll get that installed along withthe rear bumper, headlight assembly, front bumpers.

Now once that's all done, I'll sell it and start again. There are more '65 GSs still out there to save.

post-52936-143138199067_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the car being picked up for transport into storage until the stainless trim and rechroming is completed. The car received the new vinyl top from SMS, seats, door panels, headliner, sail panels, and carpet from clarks, and interior wood kit from Cars. I'll follow-up with interior pics next week as well as shots of my newly rebuilt carbs that look NOS after 30 years of debris, bugs, and rat doo-doo were cleaned out of them.

post-52936-143138210449_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

Looking great - Progess sounds good. Yes please post pics of your carbs. Who is rebuilding them them?

By the way, can you please tell me what your car has for spark plug wire retainers? I've been trying to find out but no luck yet.

Patrick,

Looking great - Progess sounds good. Yes please post pics of your carbs. Who is rebuilding them them?

By the way, can you please tell me what your car has for spark plug wire retainers? I've been trying to find out but no luck yet.

My retainers are original with using the reproduction chrome brackets. I'll take a pic.

I have the carbs in my trunk and will try to take a pic today.

Here are the freshly rebuilt carbs that I'll swap out with the carbs currently on the car. I've never seen any this clean. They've not been painted. It's hard to believe that just over a month ago they were covered with mud and the lower flaps were frozen solid.

post-52936-14313821088_thumb.jpg

Looks great Patrick! I'll look forward to seeing it in person someday...

I just hope that I can get it finished. The last five percent seems to be the toughest. I've got to re-detail the engine compartment after the paint work (adding the various decals, remove overspray), put the newly rebuilt carbs on the car, install to console, new rubber all arounds, check the electrical, reinstall the newly plated bumpers, the repolished stainless trim, and detail/install the clamshell headlights.

It never ends.

My next task is to put the car back together. I've decided to start with the bumpers headlight assemblies only because I can't drive the car until I get this stuff in place. This week, I expect to get the rear bumper from the plater who repaired a small ding. I spent a few hours this weekend assembling the taillight assemblies with bezels that were once badly pitted but are now replated to a nice smooth finish. I heard that these were impossible to replate, but now see that's not true. With any luck, I'll have these mounted this week so I can move on to detailing the clamshells, lubing the arms, lubing the arms, and lubing the arms (can you tell that lubing the headlight arms is important?). The I'll move on to mounting the splash pan, upper and lower front bumpers.

Once I get that done, I'll begin installing the freshly polished stainless trim. Wish me luck.

post-52936-143138214896_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I'm trying to get back to it but have been travelling for work. I live in Phoenix but work in San Diego where the car is in storage. I just need to assemble the car and start driving it. The stainless has been polished. All the chrome has been redone. Interior wood has been replaced. The last item I need to buy is the correct trunk material which I'll probably do as soon as the mood hits me.

I'm trying to get back to it but have been travelling for work. I live in Phoenix but work in San Diego where the car is in storage. I just need to assemble the car and start driving it. The stainless has been polished. All the chrome has been redone. Interior wood has been replaced. The last item I need to buy is the correct trunk material which I'll probably do as soon as the mood hits me.

Get it done!!! Like you said, that last 5% is always the killer.

Wow Patrick, 15 years. And I thought I took long on building my Factory Five Cobra Replica. It took me five years, enjoyed it for about a year and 1k miles, and just sold it last month. Here's a pic.

CobraGraduationPics2015.jpg

CobraGraduationPics2021.jpg

CobraGraduationPics2019.jpg

Built it from scratch myself. did everything with the exception of the paint.

I also restored a 72 Vette in the late 90's prior to the Cobra.

Wow Patrick, 15 years. And I thought I took long on building my Factory Five Cobra Replica. It took me five years, enjoyed it for about a year and 1k miles, and just sold it last month. Here's a pic.

Built it from scratch myself. did everything with the exception of the paint.

I also restored a 72 Vette in the late 90's prior to the Cobra.

When i bought the car I was a starving student. When I finished college and started working I didn't have much time. When I got laid-off, I had no money. Now I'm working and traveling, so back to having no time. That 15 years goes fast

A good friend of mine used to talk about the 3 T's - Time, Talent, and Treasury. His theory was that the car gods only allowed you to have two of the three at any one time. If you have the time and the talent, you won't have the treasury. If you have the time and the treasury, you won't have the talent, and if you have the talent and the treasury, you won't have the time. Sounds like a lot of us.

Been there before; doing that now.

Ed

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Another bump for a progress update. Summer is almost here.:)

I've started assembling the rear bumper to prep the car for it's move from San Diego to Phoenix. I've put the rebuilt carbs on the car and it fired right up. It ran rough for about 20 minutes but settled down.

I have the good fortune of having Mr. Dick Sweeny's office just a few blocks from where my car is stored. So, it's like having a personal tech advisor.

I still need to dive into getting the windows move, but I suspect that's a minor problem. With luck, the car will be done some time this summer, but I say that every year.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(sigh) still zero progress. Thinking about selling the car and putting it all behind me...I just don't have the time. It is stored 15 min from my office and I haven't seen it in months....the only time I see it is when you bump it to the top and I respond...I like looking at the pics, but I can't get further than that.

Do not sell it!!! You will regret it. You've come too far with that car to get rid of it, and besides with it not finished, you will be losing money.

Why don't you just hire someone to finish it if you are that busy. Heck, I know several car guys that built Cobra replica's in your area that could give you a helping hand!

Okay, Okay....I'll keep going...I just bought a new truck, so I'll rent a trailer and haul it to my home in Phoenix and get back into it.

That's what we want to hear!!!

I'm going to keep bugging you Patrick until you get it done!!!:P

• 2 weeks later...

Finally pulled the car from storage in San Diego yesterday and transported it to Phoenix last night. Going to unload and wash the car today and determine the next steps. Will update with progress.

It's getting cold here (down into the 40s!). So, I may need to wait for the weather to warm up before I get too far into it.

post-52936-143138747403_thumb.jpg

That's what I want to hear Patrick. Get that thing DONE, and enjoy it!!!

Warm weather, you don't need no stinking warm weather. Put on a jacket, and get to work.

yep, we be looking for Parka's and snowboots when it dips below 80 deg. here in Arizona.lol

I hear you. If it hits 55 degree's here in Miami, it makes the headline story, and people are running for their lives as if the world is coming to an end.