Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

To find Plexiglas was a battle...There is a large supplier; the smallest quantity was a bar from 6 meters! Fortunately, I found a small company working with acryl galss and they sold me a bit of round 20 mm. Today, I could do the jar on the lathe; it is not as clear as glass, but I can be satisfied with the result. Such details would have been not possible by reworking a tube of real glass. The most difficult was to polish the inside, but the original part is not perfect either.

Good news for the week-end: the spring is coming! I will be able to go to my store room to continue the woodwork.

post-66721-1431418434_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141843375_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141843388_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roger Zimmermann
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Roger,

I'm sure glad that you agreed to post this project here on the AACA forum. It is without question one of the most popular threads in this section and is sometimes beyond amazing to watch you create these little parts with so much detail and seeing them coming together. I know it your thread here supposed to be documenting a model build but some of your photos really can make one question if they are not actually looking at an actual restoration in progress. By the way, when you get to the seats and interior, with the seats have springs :) and there will be a headliner and carpeting of course, right? Great job as usual and like may here looking forwar to the body work ahead. Scott...

Roger,

I'm sure glad that you agreed to post this project here on the AACA forum. It is without question one of the most popular threads in this section and is sometimes beyond amazing to watch you create these little parts with so much detail and seeing them coming together. I know it your thread here supposed to be documenting a model build but some of your photos really can make one question if they are not actually looking at an actual restoration in progress. By the way, when you get to the seats and interior, with the seats have springs :) and there will be a headliner and carpeting of course, right? Great job as usual and like may here looking forwar to the body work ahead. Scott...

Thank you Scott for you answer. I'm also amazed to see the number of views v/s the number of answers. $ 10.00 per view and I'm rich!

Sometimes I'm publishing pictures from the real part I'm reproducing like for the windshield washer bottle, but I'm telling it!

I will have to deceive you: there will be no springs on the seats. I'm sure it could be possible to add this little fantasy; but it would go too far. However, I saw in a scale models a way to use foam on seats to give the illusion that springs are under the trim. I will probably no do that because a soft underground is an obstacle for a fair precision.

Headliner: some material will be glued on a shell simulating the typical headliner held by support wires, like I did for the Toronado. The carpet will be some kind of velvet. Remember: a model is just an illusion!

Hi Roger. I lost this thread for almost a year after building a new computer, but I'm glad I remembered how to find you again. Reading your progress in just a few hours has been wonderful and inspiring. I hope you are still enjoying this project because a lot of people would be disappointed if you paused it for more than a week or two.

Thank you for sharing your progress with us. I can't wait to see the bodyshell taking its shape.

Kind regards from England,

Ben

Hi Ben!

Glad you are here again! I know the problem with computers...between replacement of the old one and some strange problems last week, I also loosed many addresses...

Yesterday and doday was woodworking, trying to dimish the outside dimension of the wood block. With proper equipment, it's a matter of minutes. With no power tools, it takes loooonnnngggguuuueeeerrrr! And it's a good method to develop muscles!

The next step it to make a rough profile with the help of a cardboard. I'm doing no pronostic when the form will be completed!

post-66721-143141849087_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

whejn i view this thread the word wizard comes to mind,beautiful work,i believe anything is possible now

if ive ever been upset because i cant find any special part ill look at this thread and remember anything can be produced

thanks for taking us on your journey dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Promising title! But I have to go back with the time. For about 3 weeks, I took the block of wood back in my one-car garage at home and I continued to shave the wood there. I did it to spare each time 10 miles or half an hour (one way) travel.

Even with a restricted space (my everyday car is in), I did some progress at the profile. To avoid noise in the house on Sunday, I began the door sill as I have a cross section drawing of it.

The first try was to do the sill in two pieces, but the multiple bending prevented to have correct dimensions. A second try was more or less successful but, the rest of the week I laid flat in bed with a bad cold.

When I could resume the work some days ago, I noticed that the second tentative was maybe better than the first one but I destroyed it anyway. All that frustration would have been avoided with a miniature bending machine; alas, I don't have one, so I have to bend the metal with the hammer on my huge vise. Then I did what I should have done first: a precise pattern of the section. Then I decided to do the part in 3 pieces, all soft soldered.

The result is on the picture. In front the pattern and, where the coin is, the lower part of the quarter panels. Technically, the sill is ending just aft the door; the rest is 100% part of the rear fender. To avoid a broken line, I continued the lower part up to the wheel opening.

As you also can see, this lower part has a cut towards the front. At first, I did not understand the reason of this complexity; but, looking at the section it is evident: during production, the exhaust system is installed on the frame; when completed, the body is dropped on the frame. Without that cut-out, the lower part of the sill could not clear the exhaust tubes!

The next task will be to attach the sills to the floor. It must be as precise as possible, because these sills will be the point of reference for the whole body.

post-66721-143141879318_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

After trying, measuring, taking excess metal at the inner sills (which is now as thin as paper), I had to proceed with soft soldering. The width is rather precise, with +/- 0.2mm compared to the original drawings. The incline is satisfying, not perfect, but acceptable. The begin of the sill should be correct, the height compared to the frame seems to be right; at the end, the body should not look like a banana!

The image from under is showing what I tempted to explain about the exhaust clearance: if the rear sill would be continued straight to the front, the distance between the sill and the frame would be less than the diameter of the exhaust tube...

On the real car, the rocker molding is attached with nuts on the inner side of the sill; maybe I can do the same, but the space will be very limited to practically allow that mode of attachment. Maybe I will just locate the molding with studs through the sills and glue it.

In between, I'm continuing the wood work in the basement. The longitudinal profile should be ready soon.

post-66721-1431418842_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141884141_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141884166_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141884184_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

To Chris Hobbs: maybe, anyway it's too late and the final product interests me less than cars!

The last few days, I worked on the wood block. Not quite easy with just hand tools and no machine. The profile is almost ready; some excess wood is to be shaved. Then, I can go further with the headlamps as I have their exact position as well as for the roof.

For the moment it's hard to tell it's a Mark II, but just be patient!

post-66721-14314188803_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141888007_thumb.jpg

Well...It's much harder as anticipated Anyway, I did some small progresses. The spare wheel hump is emerging from the wood block, but it's far from the definitive shape. In front, the brass parts are located at the headlamps; this is the minimum dimension I can shape the wood. Most dimensions will be a tad smaller than the actual ones because of the thickness of the metal.

post-66721-143141895886_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141895864_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, I had the opportunity to go two afternoons to measure the body by the man owning four of those Mark II. With the time, the cars are not getting cleaner!

It seems that now I have all the critical dimensions of the exterior, so I could finish my own blueprint. I'm also including a picture from one of my working sheets; up to now, I have 25 similar pieces of paper. Some are understandable, some are more a mix a different elements. Usually I'm not so "disconnected" but, due to the tight space and due also to the various objects lying on the floor, moving from one end of the car to the other one is usually difficult with all the material I'm using to take the dimensions.

In between, the work on wood is slowly progressing; more pictures will be published when I have the feeling that there will be some significant differences against a previous photo...

post-66721-143141911385_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141911347_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141911366_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's time to show the little progresses of the pattern. The roof is slowly emerging as well as the trunk lid. Once the greenhouse will be ready, it will be time to give more attention to the trunk lid and hood.

No, the car will not have additional lamps: I wrongly estimated the "W" in front and took away too much wood. I had to glue 2 bits of wood, held with a screw as long as the glue is not dry.

The numbers on the white base are the references lines like on the real blueprints, each 10", but 12 times smaller. With that system, I have a quick possibility to check the location of each element as shown on the blueprints I have.

post-66721-143141916898_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141916871_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Knowing that I had in mind, I bought last year at a swap meet the pictured tool. It's very useful to compare distances on both sides of the pattern. The needle can be adjusted with the small button, allowing to lower the needle until it just touch the wood and then compare with the other side. There are usually not so good surprises!

To do this control work and small improvements, I'm no more in the basement as the light is no good. I just have to fight with the dust...

post-66721-143141917847_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Do you ever use proportional dividers for your work, which allows you to double the dimension sizes or more?

I have no idea about that tool! Or is what we are calling a pantograph?

To Pat: working with wood created more dust than with metal, by the nature of the material. I'm using files for wood and chisels. I have a Dremel Stylus, but I'm not yet so far that I can use it. When the time will come to sand the pattern, I will just go outside, I hope it will happens before the winter 2013 is coming.

I have no idea about that tool! Or is what we are calling a pantograph?

To Pat: working with wood created more dust than with metal, by the nature of the material. I'm using files for wood and chisels. I have a Dremel Stylus, but I'm not yet so far that I can use it. When the time will come to sand the pattern, I will just go outside, I hope it will happens before the winter 2013 is coming.

Very much like a pantograph.

Indeed, it would help a lot. Unfortunately, I have to go without it. Therefore, I cannot rely only on dimensions; I have to "interpret" or translate the pictures I have into a more or less correct form. I have to say, it would be more difficult just with pictures alone without physically touching the car from time to time.

I'm pleased to report a small progress with the pattern: the trunk lid is more or less ready, as well as the inner rear quarters. Oh, there are certainly some imperfections; I will see them better when the whole pattern will be covered with some wood transparent paint.

Lying on the white base, another interesting tool a German friend recommended: ideal to check if both sides are similar.

The front of the pattern was untouched since the last pictures; I will now get busy with the hood. I had some reference points to do the trunk lid; unfortunately, I have almost nothing similar for the front, except the longitudinal profile. I will have to rely on pictures and good judgement.

Anyway, my feeling is better now than it was some weeks ago.

post-66721-143141929449_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141929421_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Working on wood is nice but makes a lot of dust...When the weather is nice, I'm going outside. It's easier to clean!

The hood is slowly emerging; unfortunately, there is nothing into the wood who is saying: "Stop now, you are right!" when I'm getting close to the final shape...

post-66721-143141936005_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143141935725_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some small progress: I have the impression that the hood is done. On the original car, there is a central rib. This will be added by soldering on the metal hood as it was not practical to include this element on the wood buck.

I finished also the wheel apertures; it's time now to concentrate on the sides.

For some viewers, the whole process may be too long. I'm myself satisfied with the "speed" of the work: for just 2 months, I was attempting to do the profile and, in between, I was away for 3 weeks.

post-66721-143142000068_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Roger....I am pretty certain that none of us are thinking that you should be making more progress than you are. Detail work at that scale is very tedious and time consuming. We appreciate all of the updates, gradual or speedy. You are a fantastic modeler and should be patted on the back for following through with the amount of details needed to look good and correct.

• 2 weeks later...

With the info I had, I did recently the profiles in brass for the door, one for the front and one for the rear.

Next to some maintenance work on my '57 Brougham scale 1:1, I continued with the lower part of the sides. They are more or less ready; now, I will continue with the upper part, above the crease.

post-66721-143142022116_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143142022104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The end of wood shaping is near! As you can see on the pictures, I'm working with chisels and files. The crease on the side is done with chisels, following by hand a scribed line. And yes, it's straight! The front fender is near to the final shape; the rear of the body is still crude.

The second picture is showing the work with a chisel. It that stage, only a little bit is taken each time as the final shape is closed.

As you can see, I'm working inside as it's too hot outside. Well, it's summertime!

post-66721-143142026156_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143142026143_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The end of wood shaping is near! As you can see on the pictures, I'm working with chisels and files. The crease on the side is done with chisels, following by hand a scribed line. And yes, it's straight! The front fender is near to the final shape; the rear of the body is still crude.

The second picture is showing the work with a chisel. It that stage, only a little bit is taken each time as the final shape is closed.

As you can see, I'm working inside as it's too hot outside. Well, it's summertime!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203849[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]203850[/ATTACH]

This certainly looks like it takes surgeon-like skill. I can't even draw a straight line.

Very impressive Roger!

I have been watching this thread nearly from when it started.

I anxiously await every update to see how this project has been evolving.

I can't even draw a straight line.

I too need a rule to draw a straight line! I was myself surprised how easy it was to do that crease straight...I have to confess that a round file helped too! Anyway, thank you for your fidelity!

The RH side is now (more or less) ready which is a good news. The bad news: the other side is not yet done...The pictures below are done with a different light.

post-66721-143142027974_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143142027964_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, maybe! The last job was to form the recess for the rocker moulding. Then I applied a "waterwhite" to the wood to see the shape better. That product is so old that it turned brown; a fresh one would be clear.

The dark line which can be seen on the lower body is the Zero line; a reference line which is exactly at the top of the frame.

The next task will be to compare the shape with the many pictures I have to find maybe a difference. If I'm interpreting the first picture below, there is a correction needed at the rear: the "catwalk" should be wider, narrowing the upper surface of the trunk lid.

post-66721-143142116312_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143142116274_thumb.jpg

post-66721-14314211628_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143142116288_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143142116298_thumb.jpg

post-66721-143142116304_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Roger, does the wooden model form the "buck" to shape the various panels? Or is it just for reference for panel fit? What material will you use to make the body panels? Trying to imagine how you are going to make this all happen.

Still happily following along.