Is this for real?

Steve Braverman

I suggest before laughing at the price you might think about the hours that went into its creation. Let's say you could get this work done at $50/hour. That allows 300 hours labor for all the set up, machining, finishing and assembly and testing. Don't forget all the jigs and fixtures that had to be built. How about the special cutters etc that had to be ground? Yea, it seems like a lot of money but the builder is certainly not getting rich off this thing. A CNC machine is not some magical device where you toss in an original part and a finished replacement tumbles out the other end. Maybe, and just maybe if the builder sells a couple of these he might make a profit. Unlikely there is ANY profit in this, I assume, first example produced. I applaud the effort. Appears to be beautiful craftsmanship.

It takes a unique manifold to go along with it, too. Exhaust and intake are two separate units. It's one of the main features of the speedster series, and I'd say about half of the existing speedsters do not have it (them). However, the number of existing speedsters is less than 20, in all body styles. I remember the cost of getting this original one rebuilt (major MAJOR rebuild) some 20-25 years ago. It seems like a bargain now, but back then it was absurd.

post-33613-143138176127_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

I suggest before laughing at the price you might think about the hours that went into its creation. Let's say you could get this work done at $50/hour. That allows 300 hours labor for all the set up, machining, finishing and assembly and testing. Don't forget all the jigs and fixtures that had to be built. How about the special cutters etc that had to be ground? Yea, it seems like a lot of money but the builder is certainly not getting rich off this thing. A CNC machine is not some magical device where you toss in an original part and a finished replacement tumbles out the other end. Maybe, and just maybe if the builder sells a couple of these he might make a profit. Unlikely there is ANY profit in this, I assume, first example produced. I applaud the effort. Appears to be beautiful craftsmanship.

Very well said!

If you own Packard speedster and you need the carburetor Step up to the plate and pay the price. When you play with big dogs, you get big fleas.

Was the Packard Speedster the only car that used the Detroit Lubricator 2-barrel?

The Detroit Lubricator Model 51 i believe was only used on the 1930 Packard speedster. I think that the original version of the Model 51 was made of pot metal. They soon realized it needed to be made of brass. This car has been owned by only two people in the last 60 years, and during that time a spare original carburetor has never been located. The original carburetor for this car was in very, very sad shape, but there was enough to rebuild it back in the late 1970s.

post-33613-143138176287_thumb.jpg

West, the model 51 was used on the 1932 900,901,902 also..alas, still with much potmetal used in its construction.... B

Either I'm wrong about calling the speedster carb a Model 51 or it's an entirely different carb. I really don't think they're the same, or speedster owners wouldn't have a problem finding the correct carburetor.

West,

The 1930, and several newer years do use the Detroit Lubricator Model 51, as does my 1930 Model 733, but they are for the most part a Single throat version. I was fortunate enough to contact a gentleman in Sparks, Nevada who created a proper needle, seat, and float for my rebuilding effort. The prior aluminum replacement float seam had started leaking and the needle had developed a "Sticking" problem. His viton-tipped needle and its seat, together with his newly-crafted jewel-like brass float assembly solved my problem. I works like a charm and drove beautifully on the AACA Vintage Tour. It should be in Louisville, entered in DPC.

He explained to me about the rarity and complexity of the SPEEDSTER 2-Barrel (Dual Throat) carburetor, and how his project was advancing. Apparently the dual throat version of the Detroit Lubricator was quite advanced for its era, and as discussed already, it is extremely rare, and suffered the same fate as its more-commonplace version due to the potmetal construction, of which you are already aware.

Edited by Marty Roth
tried, couldn't include new photo (see edit history)