55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

Guest shadetree77

That's another reason that I like POR-15 type paints. They look like powdercoating when they dry. Lookin' good Mike!

I had to get away from the 115 (Buick General) it was making me cranky :)

I worked on smoothing out the patched body work on the front convertible bow. It doesn't matter how well I do something, I WILL NEED red putty. Also picked up some rubber tack strips from an old school upholstery place in South Austin.

I hope to be spraying this and the underside of the hood black tomorrow...

null_zps2db050b0.jpg

Hey Mike,

You should take the weekend off and go and check out the Aussie V8 Super cars at the Austin 400.

First time they have raced there (new circuit I believe). We love our V8 Super car racing and I reckon you would too.

I'll be watching it on the TV (wish I could be there)

Austin 400

Brian,

Thanks for the tip, Mate.

They are doing a lot of advertising for the race on radio and TV. The facility is unbelievable. I checked it out when it was almost completed and it got great reviews from the drivers after the inaugural Formula One race last year. I will have to check in on TV, as well. I've got a full weekend.

Matt,

Sorry, no extra, but it is available. The cool thing is that when I told him I needed tack strip, he asked front or back. They had two sizes, both of which fit with minimal trimming. Not sure if your 47 has two thin strips on the underside. The first one I installed had to have holes drilled to avoid captive nuts, and the foremost strip had to be chamfered (cut with a knife). Restoration Specialties has it also if you can't source it locally.

You do know, I am just trying to keep up with you, since I don't have The Limited to chase.

;)

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

Classic bonehead move.

This actually says something about my skills.

Somewhere along the way, I turned the header around and actually took a picture of the wrong side. I couldn't tell which side I patched.

I don't have a picture of the other side but y'all will just have to trust me that it looks so fine!

Guest Rob McDonald
says something about my skills

Maybe your skills as a photographer are sketchy but if you couldn't see for yourself the difference between the side you repaired and the factory side, you're doing just fine as a restorer.

Watch the race, in 95 + degree temperatures with no shade and a mile walk before you get to the entrance ?

On hard seats ??

While it would be great to watch those cars, I think I will stay in A/C and watch them.

Too bad it wasn't last week, it was in the 70's....

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I was going to ask you how to do this job, but, on second thought.. maybe not... Anyone can tell me how to do it the right way????? :confused:

Now, Which of those BFHs did you use on it?

Apparently the one that originally came with the convertible was just as rusty as the floor. Like I said, the numbers were completely locked up. Trip odometer was also. The reason that broke was the center "medallion" was frozen to the shaft.

The plastic cleaned up really nicely, though.

I wonder if that NOS one for $700 is still on eBay???

:D

Edited by buick5563
Tripped up (see edit history)

You know I don't know diddle about this yet, but, I'd have thought the Special and Century shared the same things like the Super and Roadmaster did. Is the Century speedometer/odometer the same as Super-Roadmaster?

They both fit the same size hole. Standard on Specials was the needle indicator (shown in the picture of the finished speedo above) and no trip odometer. Optional on the Special and standard on Century's was a "red-line" speedometer with trip odometer.

Honestly, if you are wearing a white shirt in the sun, the plastic on the Century version makes it hard to read due to the reflection. The trip odometer is nice so you can fill up at 200 miles and not freak out that your gas gauge isn't completely accurate.

Well, what are friends for, any way???;)

Ben

Mercenary friends...or is that an oxymoron?

But the Special one looks good.

null_zps7ea37b50.jpg

Sell that one and some other stuff and buy mine :)

Apparently the one that originally came with the convertible was just as rusty as the floor. Like I said, the numbers were completely locked up. Trip odometer was also. The reason that broke was the center "medallion" was frozen to the shaft.

The plastic cleaned up really nicely, though.

I wonder if that NOS one for $700 is still on eBay???

:D

Mine is a little cheaper...

Guest Rob McDonald

I'm having a hard time imagining what that red line speedometer looks like. By '57, it was a linear bar but how was it done in a circle?

Oh, now I get it. Kinda nice.

post-59990-143141925996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald
checked eBay (see edit history)

The one on eBay went UP to $750

Quite obviously the price went up. Supply and Demand.

Supply went down when you broke yours

Demand went up when you broke yours

You're lucky it only went up $50. :P

That'll teach you to be more careful!! But don't mind me I'm just jealous cause my odo doesn't read zero and my speedo still needs some love to get it to display the speed I am actually going and keep the needle from bouncing.

Guest wildcat465
Ideally the same way it came apart. But what do I know about reassembly, I just tear s*** apart.

post-42002-143141934487_thumb.jpg

NO S**T!;)

Ben

Look out now, remember what I tode you, what you see in Buick Barn stays in Buick barn. That goes for outside Buick Barn and in Buick Pastures too.:rolleyes:;):D Maybe I need to post some signs to that effect along with some "No Pictures beyond this point" ones too. BTW when you gonna share the news about your recent acquisition.

Yea Mikey I'm hijackin your thread:p

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)