55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

Bill's friend Keith is a heck of a welder and the place he works was having an open house today.

Woody was scared when he was getting suited up. "Dad, I'm scared of fire!"

Keith was great, and walked the Woodster through his first weld.

The excitement in his eyes and voice were overwhelming afterwards. He wants Keith to come to my shop and teach him more!

Maybe nine years old is his magic time:

null_zps9f1b5dcf.jpg

null_zps415e3782.jpg

Look out now, remember what I tode you, what you see in Buick Barn stays in Buick barn. That goes for outside Buick Barn and in Buick Pastures too.:rolleyes:;):D Maybe I need to post some signs to that effect along with some "No Pictures beyond this point" ones too. BTW when you gonna share the news about your recent acquisition.

Yea Mikey I'm hijackin your thread:p

Now soon enough?? New thread.

Ben

:mad:I'm so jealous!:) Took an auto body course in high school. My one weakness was welding. Test was you had to weld up a cube of sheet metal (each side 3"square) and it had to float... mine dropped like a rock

Sunk like six pieces of metal stuck together? That is what my cube would do.

I have gotten good by trial and error, but I am not the kind of welder that you would call if you wanted it to be structurally sound. Like motor mount fabrication. I did all of the finish welding on my convertible's floor pans, but they don't show, and they are all ground smooth and covered in bondo now...

Guest Rob McDonald

When you and Woody have your guy Keith in the shop, gimme a call and I'll drop by. I just picked up a $20 garage sale MIG welder and need to learn how to burn metal into a twisted, blackened blob. Of course, there is no such thing as a $20 tool. There's the argon tank to buy, the helmet, the gloves, the pliers, etc., etc. Kind of like my "free" Valiant.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald
This showed up today for refurb

MIKE, have you found a dependable supplier of New Old Stock furbishes? Cars are always said to be going in for refurbishing but I just haven't been able to find any.

Rob, I've heard that Middleton's Olde Texas Refurb is really outstanding.... comes only in 6packs, pints and fifths....Six packs are m ore expensive in hot weather...

Please excuse my intelligent posterior.. but sometimes... ya jus gotta....

He initially wanted to just make it drive well, and clean up some of the details. Ya know...what you and I do really well. :)

Then he came up with umpteen thousands dollars in wishes.

I believe he is bummed now and wants to return to Plan A, with fewer of the "big plans".

Yes, it could use paint. Yes, it could use some interior lovin'. But he has always driven it and enjoyed it, and I basically said it comes down to financial comfort vs. driving enjoyment. Gonna fix the brakes instead of disc brake conversion (although I am more than happy to get paid to learn). Fix the horn, etc. Drive it and enjoy!

The other cool news is that the guys that run Vicari Auctions who I met on the Great Race have already found me a client in New Orleans with a 55 Broderick Crawford car. They are also going to add me to their links page as a Buick Restorer.

Gotta work on getting a website together ASAP.

Guest Rob McDonald
Gonna fix the brakes... Fix the horn

MIKE, to be fair with a guy on a budget, you ought to give him the choice. Don't really need to do both. >:^]

• 2 months later...

Before I kicked the client convertible out, I thought it would be smart to reassemble the top irons on my car. It was much easier with a full size template close by. This way, I didn't have to refer to all of the pictures I had taken. Sometimes I'm a smart fella. Here is a picture of the reassembly in progress. I can't imagine trying to rivet the irons back together with only one person. Luckily, my garage helper Jon was around. He is having as much fun learning as I am.

null_zpsbe5ffeb6.jpg

Thanks guys.

Willie drove up today and helped me clear some floor space. Got the hood and both fenders hung. Everything needs to be adjusted, but at least they are attached (for now).

I thought I was going to have to call Bhigdog for some hood advice, but we were smart enough after some head scratching...

null_zpsb3e18dc5.jpg

That IS a pretty red floor you have there! Mine is Blue by the way! haha. Lookin' nice Bro! Matt

Since I have client cars in here, I chose to remove my "paint booth" so I could make the shop easier to walk around. I doubt I will be adding yellow to my floor, but ya never know....

Thanks guys.

Willie drove up today and helped me clear some floor space. Got the hood and both fenders hung. Everything needs to be adjusted, but at least they are attached (for now).

I thought I was going to have to call Bhigdog for some hood advice, but we were smart enough after some head scratching...

null_zpsb3e18dc5.jpg

ME LIKE :D

• 2 months later...
post-82038-143142318157_thumb.jpgNew to the Buick forum. Summer of 2013 rebuilt the dash. Included painting, polishing, lighting, wiring and getting booth radio and clock working. Clock is not very accurate but cool to say it works. Radio actually not to bad, AM of course. Main project now is a 1936 Chrysler, C8 convert. Your project is coming along nicely. Mine took about 4 years from start to finish.

Been busy busting down interior walls in the garage and purchasing two additional four post lifts from Derek Weaver. Now I have enough room for two "customer cars" in addition to mine. Tomorrow I am going to adjust the front fenders and hood some more before beginning the paint prep.

My convertible safely out of the way:

null_zps8114aff8.jpg

Customer 55 convertible with a cool banner in the background courtesy of NTX Willis:

null_zps6f494bfe.jpg

Room for a customer car up front. My wagon is getting new king pins and front end freshening:

null_zps638143dd.jpg

Edited by buick5563
No reason (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Or a man who is very CONFIDENT in his Dynaflow sealing techniques.:cool: Lol. I can't tell....is there a drip pan on that roof??