Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Keiser, that is an Australian made Dodge, hence right hand drive.  It is owned by our very own Rob B. that owns many Chrysler products.  Rob participates on the forum every now and then.

On the garage front.  Finished putting up all the OSB panels that I could.  I worked hard in the heat of the day to finish up where I had insulation to be covered.  I put up 18 panels.  Now I have to get more insulation and more panels.  Here is a pic.

post-91879-0-02668900-1433892548_thumb.j

It is Friday, June 12th PM.  Not much going on.  Am only able to work on the garage until noonish.  Then it becomes just too hot.   It was up to around 94 with a heat index of 99.  

I am still putting up insulation.  I actually enjoy it, but now I am working about 12 feet up on ladders.  Lots of up and down work so progress is slowed somewhat.  I do have the entire garage insulated up 8 feet and in some places 12 feet.  I have to go up to 14 feet.  I figure that I have about 30 fiberglass panels to go up to finish.  I do not have any more OSB panels left so will have to head to Home Depot for about 12 more.  

I have not decided on what and how to do the underside of the roof.  I can put up the R19 fiberglass panels, the same as in the walls, but it will not be as durable as I would like nor will it be pretty.  A brown paper ceiling is just not going to cut it.  I will have to do some more research.  And I have to get a electric commercial scissor lift to do it too, no way to work that high with ladders.  I figure that it could take me a week to do it.  The cost will be around $2,000 to include the lift rental.  Or I guess I can just leave it for now.  It does have a layer of the double bubble reflective insulation on it now, The contractor says that it has a R value of about 15.  I do not know if I believe that.  

Oh, some good news.  Just got a call from the power company.  Their contractor is coming Monday morning to bring in the main power line from the pole to the garage, about 340 feet plus a transformer.  The line is going to be buried 3 feet down.  

Still waiting for the contractor to come back and put in a retaining wall.  If the work is not done when I get finished with the insulation I guess that I will do it.  Will take me a few days, but I have the equipment to do it.  It is not critical that it get done immediately, but would like it done before the fall rains come.  I also need to get two truck loads of gravel to finish off the driveway.  I have decided not to pour a huge concrete slab in front of the garage for now.

Well, that is my garage update.  Pictures of the electrical work on Monday, so stay tuned.

post-91879-0-24032200-1434200521_thumb.j

post-91879-0-90922000-1434200525_thumb.j

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

It is Saturday, June 13th, early PM.  Headed out to the garage at about 7 o'clock.  Guess what i did?  More insulation.  I am now finished with the first 10 feet, only 4 more feet to go.  I did go up to 14 feet on one section so I could hang the double bubble reflective insulation.  Worked well,  Just tacked it up lightly for now as I just wanted to see how it looks.  I tucked in about two inches into the back of the OSB panel.  Gives it a nice finish look as it covers up the brown paper backed insulation.  It should also increase the R value of the walls to above R20 or maybe R25.  I do have to put in a 15 inch wide piece of insulation at the very top where the trusses go into the soffit.

One good thing is that the double bubble installation will go really quick.  I don't think I have enough of it left over from the roof so will order some more when I figure out how much I need.

Here are a couple of pics of the double bubble stuff on the wall.

post-91879-0-94341400-1434211082_thumb.j

post-91879-0-39246400-1434211085_thumb.j

It is Sunday, June 14th, PM.  Spent another long morning with, guess what?  Insulation.  We quit hanging the stuff when we ran out of the fiberglass bats and put up a couple more double bubble panels.  Now we are out of the double bubble insulation too.  Alice is helping with the high ladder stuff so things do go more quickly than with just one person.

I have been working non-stop on the garage for more than a month so going to take a week off.  Not even going to buy more supplies.  

It will be fun to watch the electrical contractors run the main power line.  They have not told me when they expect to energize the line.

Here is a pic of the finished wall with the double bubble insulation.

post-91879-0-24035900-1434315364_thumb.j

Paul, yes it was hot yesterday, about 93 degrees and with the high dew point it felt like 99.  I can only work until about noon at the latest and then have to give it up.  Funny, this new insulation does not bother me as long as I come in and wash it off right after I am done working.  

It is Monday, June 15, mid PM.  The garage work continues, but today I just watched.  The electrical contractors came and buried the power line from the pole, around the house, and up to the new garage.  A total of 360 feet of wire.  They also placed the transformer just inside the fence line and about 50 feet from the garage. They arrived at 7 AM and left at about 2 PM.

The electricians are going to be here tomorrow to connect the wire to the pole, the transformer, and the meter panel.  Then I should have power.

Here are the pics for the day. 

post-91879-0-53486300-1434393324_thumb.j

post-91879-0-75183800-1434393332_thumb.j

post-91879-0-16452200-1434393338_thumb.j

post-91879-0-61895800-1434393342_thumb.j

post-91879-0-12133000-1434393358_thumb.j

post-91879-0-25655400-1434393363_thumb.j

post-91879-0-41938800-1434393366_thumb.j

post-91879-0-62629600-1434393413_thumb.j

It is Tuesday, PM, June 16th.  "Captain Kirk ----- Scott here, WE HAVE POWER!  The power guys showed up with a full crew around 8 AM.  One crew worked on the the pole and the other worked on the transformer and meter base connections.  Within three short hours they were done.  When they gave me the OK I ran into the garage and threw on the main breaker, then all the circuit breakers one by one.  Everything works too.  The pole has a lot of new "do dads".  Before it just has the big can transformer.  Now it has lots of things hanging off it.  Here are the pics I took.  

post-91879-0-16954300-1434491235_thumb.j

post-91879-0-66694400-1434491450_thumb.j

post-91879-0-26902800-1434491454_thumb.j

post-91879-0-14031700-1434491459_thumb.j

post-91879-0-33430100-1434491461_thumb.j

post-91879-0-14297600-1434491501_thumb.j

post-91879-0-19397500-1434491503_thumb.j

post-91879-0-27684000-1434491505_thumb.j

post-91879-0-31822900-1434491507_thumb.j

Bill, you forget about the lifts.  I have four more bundles of insulation (32 pieces) and 15 OSB panels to complete the interior.  With those done, the lifts will be installed.  And then the cars!  Oh at some point I have to do the heat pump.  

It is Wednesday, AM, July 24th.  HOME!  Back from a short vacation trip to Seattle.  Arrived home last night to a huge storm.  We made it OK, but lots of folks with damage and no electricity.  

Off today for more insulation.  In the meantime we have a report from Greg.

"It's the busy busy season.  Day job pushing deadlines and weather suitable for me to get something done in the tin barn on my stuff.    

For my fleet,  black Avanti 5054 is the main focus.    Coco's Carpet Center has been supplying me with new flooring.   Tonight I got the passenger front floor semi-installed.   Driver's is next,  When he gets the back carpet cut and bound I can lay it down and look forward to mounting the bucket seats.   That will be a milestone.  Tonight I also installed the rebuilt original fan clutch.  Another check mark on the list.

Sunday Barb and I took the old Dodge touring into Warrenton to walk the car show.   They fill the main street with cars and enthusiasts.   

Old '63 Avanti Seabiscuit is running well.  It really needs a good cleaning,  something I don't find time for.

Today was also a good one.   Another day job field trip to Udvar-Hazy  NASM collection.    Enclosed photo shows Thetan Ogle doing  some Curtiss JN4 investigation.   Or looking for spare change under the pilot's seat.  Any day with the NASM crew is a good day.

Otherwise,  still waiting for Matheson hardware,  about ready to fire that vendor.

Also hitting a few licks on the '10 REO.   Top support leather straps are repaired,  oil changed,   fuel in the gas tank,  things like that. Not much time for it.

The Overland  seat waiting on the back burner, but we've got a plan on how to proceed."

=

post-91879-0-74652600-1435145619_thumb.j

post-91879-0-40026400-1435145633_thumb.j

post-91879-0-60350100-1435145644_thumb.j

post-91879-0-56354900-1435145655_thumb.j

"Tonight I also installed the rebuilt original fan clutch."

John, if you get a chance, please ask Greg who rebuilt his fan clutch. I did not know those original style clutches could be rebuilt. I knew there was some reason I was saving them :-)

Paul, here is Greg's answer to the fan clutch rebuild.

" Fan clutch.   Seems the Corvettes used the same Schwitzer unit for a while.  Googled it and there are several firms doing it.   I closed my eyes and chose one

www.kirkconnellcorvettes.com   1-813-477-6217

They do a fantastic job.   In fact, thinking it is for a Corvette they'll ask you what month the car was built so they can put the right ink marks on it for NCRS judging.

I really don't know how they unroll the seam that holds it together and then reroll it upon reassembly.    Nice people to trust your clutch to,  they try their best to take care of you.

But it ain't cheap,  you can buy two or three of the replacement clutches instead.  I've had them do one for Seabiscuit and another for 5054.   The replacement I bought is on the shelf.  I like originality."  

I just went to their web site.  The price to rebuild a unit to concours condition is $225 plus shipping.

It is Tuesday, June 30th, PM.  Guess what I have been doing?  Insulation I say.......  Alice has been helping and we have all the insulation up to 12 feet and have started doing the last two feet.  We are about 40% done.  It takes two people to put the long bats of insulation and then move the heavy ladders so I can staple them in.  Lots of up and down stuff.  We just need a couple of cool mornings and we will have it done.

I closed up the garage this morning and the temp was 76 inside and 78 outside.  Now at 2 PM it is 80 inside and 88 outside.  So what insulation we have up right now is working.  I will do a final read at about 5, which is the hottest part of the day for us.

Speaking of heat and cold, I ordered the HVAC unit this morning.  We had a contractor come by and give us some options.  But his price was sky high, $10,000 installed.  Way too much for me.

So I decided to go it alone and ordered a HVAC heat pump package unit.  It is a Goodman 5 Ton 13 SEER 140,000 BTU Gas/Electric Package Unit.  

It is probably overkill, but the larger unit was less expensive than lower BTU units.  The unit plus some parts (electrical umbilical, thermostat, filter, cover transitions, etc) came in at $3,004 delivered to my door.  I figure that the round vent piping will cost another $400 or so, and maybe $200 in other parts.  So I should have a working unit for under $4,000.  Connecting and running the piping should not be that hard of a deal.  I do have to cut two 14 inch holes in the building and build a pad for the unit.  I am going to buy some concrete pavers for the pad.  The gas company said that they would hook up the unit to the propane tanks for $200 when they installed the two 140 gallon tanks.

post-91879-0-06926200-1435690050_thumb.j

It is July 4th, AM, Saturday.  Happy Birthday USA!

Had a minor setback on the garage heating/cooling front.  The HVAC unit that I wanted is out of production (I think it price was too low) so my order was canceled.  Never fear, I found another unit for not much more money from another web based company. It is a Goodman R410A 14 SEER Packaged Dual Fuel 4 Ton Heat Pump and 115,000 Gas Heat (G-GPD1448115M41).  

I also put together the little work table from Harbor Freight.  Took me back to my childhood as it was like an Erector Set.  Of course, a drawer rail is bent so one of the drawers will not stay attached.  Looks like I will have only one drawer for awhile.  I will not attach the top so I can get to it at some point.

And all the insulation is up to 12 feet now, and half to 14 feet.  Today we are going to tackle one gable end and insulate all the way to the top.  Getting closer to being done.

p.s.  We put up four section at the 14 foot level this morning.  Attempted to go up to 16 feet, it is a no go, just too dangerous as the ladders are at max height.  We did not like it up that high and backed down.  We will live to fight another day.  Going to do four more sections at the opposite side of the garage when we cool down.  Still short one bundle of R19 insulation.  

p.s.  It is the mid afternoon, and it is cooking outside.  Alice and I went out at noon and put up all the insulation we had, the final four bats for today.  We have to get more insulation bats for the front wall and more OSB.  Will start putting up more OSB as soon as we get the final four bats up.  Still waiting on the double bubble reflective insulation to come.  Then we can say that we are almost finished. Going to look into renting a taller ladder too.  

John, if you are going to have to rent something, you may want to look into a scissor man-lift. There are various units capable of 40+ feet. They are much safer than working off a ladder.

Here is a link to a medium height from Sunbelt Rentals. There are many companies that rent these, but I'm more familiar with Sunbelt since we used them at the generating facility all the time. Plus they deliver......

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/items/980/scissorlift-14ft-19ft-electric/

Thanks for the suggestions on getting to the highest points on the garage.  Camaro Steve brought over his extra tall ladder, so we are going to try it.  It easily reaches all the places I need to get.  We will get more insulation today and see how it goes.

And I was researching the size of wire I need to support the new AC unit.  I have to run another wire as the 10 gauge that we ran for it is too small.  Have to go to 6 gauge as the breaker size is 45 amps.  Not a big deal.

I finished the little Harbor Freight work bench yesterday.  One of the drawer rails was bent so the drawer kept falling out.  Fixed it and then shimmed it out a bit with a few washers.  Perfect now.  Looks pretty good.  It will work good until I can build a permanent bench by the side window.

And it is Monday, July 6th so we have a report from Greg.

"It has been a busy week, perplexing at times. With the day job demanding all the time I can give it,  I would naturally hope  that time given to Avanti 5054 should be productive.  Not the case.

With the Coco Carpet Company supplying the flooring,  and me in a hurry,  it took three tries to get the rear carpet to suit me.  I should have taken more time on the patterns, but he graciously cut, bound, re-cut and rebound until we got it right.   With the carpet down I was able to get the front seats and belts in.   Then being able to move the car under its own power,  I can finish the carpet and other trim at my leisure.    Poor planning on my part cost me several nights.

Then to get the engine ready so that I could drive around Hyde Manor ,  especially to park by the water hose.  It really needed its first bath.

It wouldn't start.   Took the plugs out and cleaned them.  Wouldn't start.   Checked the spark plug wires for spark.  Had good fire.   Added more gas.  Pulled the plugs for another compression check.  Good compression.   Suspecting perhaps a vacuum leak I looked for the obvious.   No hoses off,  no plugs left out of the carburetor,  well maybe an intake manifold gasket had failed (after all I did have to remill the angles to match the heads).  Using a vacuum gauge I found that upon cranking with closed throttle,  the gauge needle didn't move.     Tried it on Seabiscuit and the needle pointed to 4 inches of vacuum.      

I realize that the performance 288 cam is known for low vacuum,  so I tried an experiment.  Made an aluminum plate,  removed the carburetor and pressure box.  A fresh gasket,  some Hylomar sealant and the cover plate replacing the carburetor.  Cranked over,  the vacuum gauge showed 11 inches with the needle slow to drop.  Reasoned the manifold gaskets were holding.

After several wasted nights troubleshooting to no avail,  I was reduced  to calling 5054 the Black Ba$+@rd.     What the hell could be wrong with it.  It used to run,  I heard it.

Then,  on one of my many runs to the Coco place, I had time to think while driving the hour each way.   We had a phenomenon at White Post that never made sense.  During the course of a restoration,  a rebuilt engine would be installed in the restored chassis and test fired to check for leaks,  oil pressure,  etc.    Then a year or two or three  later when  the rest of car was finished and readied for a test drive,  it wouldn't start.  All manor of things were checked.  No start.  The new spark plugs would be checked,  bead cleaned and reinstalled.  No start.   At wit's end,  someone would suggest replacing the spark plugs with another new set.    That's when the engine would start.

Friday morning I picked up another new set of plugs.    After beating my brains out on the garage floor for a week looking for the problem,  the car started right up.

As of today,  the car has had its first wash.  Now running,  it nears being ready for final paint touchup and buffing ,  things to be tended to when on a lift,  the installation of bumpers and trim,  supercharger belts,  etc.

So it was a good weekend.   Plenty of good eating,  good company,  and on Saturday night as Barb and I were returning from Rob's we were treated to an almost constant barrage of fireworks from Maryland to  Hyde Manor.   At one point  on a lonely stretch of highway,  we pulled over to enjoy a spectacular display that seemed as if it was just for us.

And today after returning the 5054 to the shed,  I called out old Seabiscuit for a short spin just so I could say I drove both Avantis on the same day.   As good as it gets."

post-91879-0-85973000-1436179749_thumb.j

post-91879-0-65641000-1436179761_thumb.j

post-91879-0-08426700-1436179774_thumb.j

Still Monday, PM.  We headed off to Home Depot and picked up the insulation bundle and 15 sheets of OSB paneling.   We hung the final bats of insulation above the garage doors.  The insulation is up 14 feet on all sides and the two long sides of the garage are done with the exception of the reflective double bubble insulation.  Only have the ends of the garage to finish.  When it cools down we will see how that goes.  

Here are a few pics of the walls, before and after today's work; and a couple of the Harbor Freight workbench.  

I also washed the Avanti and started up the 23 McLaughlin Buick for car stuff.

post-91879-0-72343500-1436210010_thumb.j

post-91879-0-99126400-1436210013_thumb.j

post-91879-0-86561500-1436210016_thumb.j

post-91879-0-64606100-1436210018_thumb.j

post-91879-0-09616600-1436210021_thumb.j

post-91879-0-98686300-1436210023_thumb.j

post-91879-0-54835700-1436210026_thumb.j

John, That workbench sure looks a lot like a service write-up desk to me and the placement sure supports that thought. Maybe after you get your lift installed you might consider doing a few side jobs now and again to offset the investment of the garage. :)  It's all looking real good and I'm sure that you'll get a lot of use out of it as time goes on. Scott...

It is Wednesday, July 8th.  

On the garage front.  Alice and I finished up all the insulation up to 14 feet.  We also installed one section at 16 feet.  Will do more today.  We also installed 5 OSB panels.  More OSB going up today also.  Got word that the double bubble reflective insulation will be here today also.  So will be putting that up over the next couple of days.  It looks like that we will be done with all the insulation by the weekend.

I also have to get a higher amperage electrical cable for the HVAC unit.  I have #10 wire and it needs #8.  Ordered the correct 45 amp breaker and will run to Home Depot to get about 70 feet of cable.  We have a clear path to route it but will have to remove a OSB panel and insulation to install it.  Good thing that the panels are screwed in.  

Found this great video on Norman Dewis, the great race and test driver for Jaguar.  An interesting watch if you have the interest and time.  Lots of period footage of the early Jags including the XK120.  I did not know that he took a 120 to a top speed of 172 mph.  And here I get scared at 70 mph.  

Here is the link.  

Still Wednesday.  Update on today's garage activities.  Worked steady from 8 AM until 2 PM, but seemed to not accomplish all that I wanted to do.

Broadband for the garage.  Our provider is coming tomorrow PM to link up the house router with the new one in the garage.  

OSB panels.  We installed four more today.   We have them in the horse/llama trailer so we have to load them onto the Kubota tractor and move them to the garage.  Using the tractor is a lot easier on us.   Had to do a lot of trimming and cutting for the outlets and switches so that takes a lot more time.  

Insulation.  Alice had to bug out at 10 AM so we only got a bit hung.  We went all the way to the top on one section.  Now I know that it can be done.  

Double bubble insulation.  It came this afternoon so we will be able to finish off the insulation above the OSB panels.

Here are pics for your enjoyment.

post-91879-0-08528500-1436381729_thumb.j

post-91879-0-67712100-1436381732_thumb.j

post-91879-0-97967700-1436381734_thumb.j

post-91879-0-17450300-1436381737_thumb.j

post-91879-0-83093800-1436381752_thumb.j

It is Wednesday, July 9th, PM.  Are you getting tired of insulation yet?  We are closing in on it.  Camaro Steve came over this morning and after three hours we got most of the wall insulated with glass and double bubble.  Alice and I have a little clean up to do and tiding up, but it is almost done.  

Alice came home from her Master Gardener project and wanted to help.  She measured and cut for the OSB panel under the window.  It is now 3 PM and hotter than all get out.  So we are done for the day.  More panels to put up tomorrow.  And we still have one gable end of the building to insulate.

Waiting for our broadband provider too.  Hope he comes.

post-91879-0-06763700-1436467906_thumb.j

post-91879-0-04365100-1436467910_thumb.j

post-91879-0-25753100-1436467912_thumb.j

post-91879-0-73595300-1436467914_thumb.j

post-91879-0-12246800-1436467917_thumb.j

John,

I enjoy seeing the progress on your new building. Smart move with some of the temperature extremes you have there to insulate. Here's a tip on how not to light your new shop. Friend of mine was involved with aviation and got a couple of airport landing lights free. I think they were something like 2000 watts, and he mounted them on the ceiling pointing straight down. The bad things were that you couldn't look at the light, and he left them on for a long time once and they almost set fire to the wood floor of his shop. He said the cool thing was that he could turn the things on and go out to his electric meter and the hands would spin around like crazy!

Jeff in Idaho

It is Friday, July 11th, AM.  It is Friday morning, and we have a report from Greg.

"Today,  July 10th  is a reason to celebrate.  As of today,  The black Avanti R-5054  is licensed and insured, first time since  8/31/1979 .  Registered for daily use with Year of Manufacture plates.

After my successful trip to the Division of Motor Vehicles,  I felt it necessary to stop at the store for a reward,  my old favorite from those old days.....Mountain Dew and Cracker Jacks.

Even after a hard bicycle ride on a hot summer's day....they never tasted better.

Now to proceed with chores to make it somewhat driveable so that I can be working the bugs out of it and have it ready to ferry to my painter for touchup and final buffing."

=

post-91879-0-96191100-1436525544_thumb.j

Greg rebuilds the engines at his day job. The OX-5 engine is very complicated to rebuild, one look at the valve operation and one scratches their head, wondering why they did some of the engineering design.....he does great work, of course....

Thanks for the comment David.  And all of us remember that the airplane will be soaring the skies sometime soon. 

It is Saturday, July 11th, AM.  Heading out soon to put up the very last two little sections of the OSB panels.  Alice and I worked about 6 hours to almost get to the end.  We were hot and spent by 2 PM, so we decided to live to fight another day.  We will be done with the OSB today and you will never have to hear of them again. We used exactly 30 panels for the job.  

Got our boadband provider out and he hooked up the pod radios on the garage and the house, and gave us a new router as our was too out of date (2002) to use. So much for a used router.  We now have the WWW in the garage.  A good thing for sure.

P.S.  We just got in from hanging the last two pieces of OSB panels.  We are done.

post-91879-0-93092700-1436617894_thumb.j

post-91879-0-60872900-1436617898_thumb.j

post-91879-0-71946100-1436617901_thumb.j

post-91879-0-05188500-1436617905_thumb.j

post-91879-0-66832200-1436617908_thumb.j

Still Saturday, but now it is 3 PM.  Quitting for the day.  

Houston, we have lift off, well part way.  I cleaned up the garage a bit and moved stuff around.  Wanted to see if I could move the trailer with the lifts into the garage.  It will be much easier to off-load the lifts in the garage.  So I used the little Kubota tractor to get the nose into the garage and put a wheel skate under the post support.  Then I moved the tractor to the rear and just slowly pushed it in.

Of course I could not leave it alone so started to take stuff off.  I managed to get about half of it unloaded.  The rest is way too heavy so have to wait until a tractor with fork lifts is available from the neighborhood.  I did lift one end of the package with the Kubota's bucket, I was surprised.  It struggled but it did it.  I think that I could use a couple of straps and lift off the very heavy ramps if I had to.  

Here are pics of everything I took out.  I think it will help you see what it all takes to put one up.  So far so good and no smashed anything.

The lift looks of very good quality and fit/finish.  I am happy so far.  Oh, this is the four post lift.  

post-91879-0-85101200-1436642855_thumb.j

post-91879-0-25482600-1436642860_thumb.j

post-91879-0-39027500-1436642874_thumb.j

post-91879-0-13652800-1436642877_thumb.j

post-91879-0-68032500-1436642879_thumb.j

post-91879-0-56048200-1436642899_thumb.j

post-91879-0-68183200-1436642906_thumb.j

post-91879-0-97293200-1436642954_thumb.j

post-91879-0-32811800-1436642958_thumb.j

post-91879-0-88253000-1436642965_thumb.j

post-91879-0-51839200-1436642971_thumb.j

post-91879-0-67726200-1436642974_thumb.j

post-91879-0-50532100-1436642984_thumb.j

post-91879-0-48491700-1436643008_thumb.j

It is Sunday, July 12th.  Heading off this afternoon to the annual Jaguar Club picnic.  It is just down the road.  Always fun it see all the cats.

But, this morning I rigged up a couple of straps to the top ramp of the four post lift.  Figured I could just lift it up and then down to the floor.  Well, that met with no success as the loader struggled to even jiggle the ramp.  So gave that up and called for help next week. Porsche Alan has a larger tractor with forks that should be able to lift it off.  Once off I am going to put it on blocks so I can get under it with floor jacks to move it around.  Of course I have to flip it over.  Now that will be interesting.

Since I lost the battle with the four post I decided to at least uncover the two post lift.  Here is what it looks like.  

post-91879-0-94773100-1436711789_thumb.j

Still Sunday, but PM.  Had a great time at the annual Jaguar picnic.  Plenty of good food and "cat" talk.  Only one XK 140 showed, and no other vintage Jaguars, ll newer or new.  Folks are just getting too old for the vintage iron I guess.  And everyone wants AC. Here are some pics.

And we had a breakdown!  The newly rebuilt clock gave up.   So looks like I have to pull it and get it back to the vendor.  I miss the tic, tic, tic.

The car ran great.  It seems more smoother and powerful with the 1/4 race fuel in her. Race fuel along with real gas is what she seems to like.

post-91879-0-66104100-1436744266_thumb.j

post-91879-0-09177000-1436744269_thumb.j

post-91879-0-73741700-1436744272_thumb.j

post-91879-0-13445900-1436744278_thumb.j

post-91879-0-63704700-1436744281_thumb.j

post-91879-0-33425900-1436744284_thumb.j

post-91879-0-89892300-1436744286_thumb.j

post-91879-0-64665700-1436744297_thumb.j

post-91879-0-22802500-1436744356_thumb.j

post-91879-0-63405800-1436744360_thumb.j

post-91879-0-91887800-1436744370_thumb.j

post-91879-0-13144400-1436744376_thumb.j

It is Monday morning, July 13th.  Big rain is upon us this morning, coming down in buckets.

Going to head to the garage in a bit and get the engine hoist out of the barn and into the garage.  Going to see if I can lift the big rails for the lift.  

My broadband provider and friend Paul is concerned that I am going to lose too much heat and cooling from the ridge vent.  He has come up with a way to close and open the vent line with a simple method of using plastic pipe to block off the air.  I will post more on that later when we figure out a way to install it.

And of course, it was the weekend and we have a report from Greg.

" Summer time and things are hopping.  Got in some time on the black Avanti 5054.   Had to redo some leaking transmission cooler lines,  a couple times,  it looks like I got that under control but now I see there's a persistent coolant leak that streams across the garage floor.   The kind of thing that's best traced when on a lift.

Otherwise,  enclosed find a link to a Jim Davis production,  an abbreviated version of his documentation of a day job engine run.

All for now. "

Revised version

--
Jim Davis, Retired Government Clerk
714 Avondale Drive
Sterling, VA 20164-1215
703 444 6243 ®
703 501 0184 ©
Youtube Channel: N1014F

=

Still Monday, but PM.  Another very long day, but still having fun.  Rained hard all morning with a great light show.  We got over 1.5 inches of rain.  Tomorrow promises to be another stormy day.

Alice and I decided to unload both lifts from the trailer.  No tractor involved, used the engine hoist and it did a great job.  Everything went without a hitch.  I just had to remove a tire from each side to get the hoist into position over each lift.  I even did the two post lift as a single unit.  A bit dicier, but we managed just fine.  

So here are the pics for today.

Tomorrow we plan on doing some double bubble insulation and then start on the four post lift construction.  That will probably take us a couple of days.  Quite a puzzle.  I have looked at a couple of youtube videos so at least I have some idea as how to proceed.   

post-91879-0-77038300-1436833467_thumb.j

post-91879-0-63064500-1436833475_thumb.j

post-91879-0-26222100-1436833482_thumb.j

post-91879-0-85561400-1436833487_thumb.j

post-91879-0-91103200-1436833493_thumb.j

post-91879-0-07783500-1436833499_thumb.j

post-91879-0-27977500-1436833506_thumb.j

post-91879-0-41785500-1436833512_thumb.j

post-91879-0-16876200-1436833518_thumb.j

post-91879-0-33344500-1436833529_thumb.j

post-91879-0-90279100-1436833644_thumb.j

post-91879-0-98197800-1436833650_thumb.j