Hershey

junkyardjeff

I hate to bring this up again but since I frequent the HAMB (maybe I should stay off there) the subject has been brought up again about modified vehicles,I know they dont want then in the show and car corral areas and I can repsect that but now I hear if you drive one in the swapmeet area as a vendor they wont be allowed. If they want to get younger people involved in this hobby they will need to be slightly more tollerant in some areas,I commented last year about a cranky restorer going nuts and from what I can see it just might happen now if what was reported on the HAMB is true about the vendors vehicles. Since most of the local swapmeets have been getting smaller I now am thinkng about skipping most of the local meets and going to one big one a year and would love to attend Hershey but I dont know now as it seems they are alienating themselves from the rest of the hobby and thats not good. I will most likely attend Carlisle since its seems more friendly to my type of vehicles.

I have heard this for years, but everytime I see a guy with a modified vehicle he seems to be 60+ years old. I do not see any "young" guys with modified vehicles. Besides the cost of a modified vehicle way exceds that of an original driver. Why do the restorers have to be tolerant to the street rods? They have their events.

Guest Packards1

The fall show at Hershey is not trying to be all things to all people. If the AACA members want to see hot rods there are hundreds of shows all over the country. For people who want to see original and restored vehicles they come to Hershey, I don't agree with the posters remarks that this show should be more "tolerant". This show is what it is and I personally don't want to drive five hundred miles only to see hod rods all over the flea market. .

After typing this I tried to stop it but it looks like it went through as I rethought about what I typed,its their show and they can do what they want and it should be that way but while I am on here my concern is if I wanted to sell something there and all my vehicles are modified even my latemodels so would I get thrown out if I were to become a vendor. I want to attend it once in my life and due to my liking maybe I should just stay away as I would have everyone in a uproar and to the moderators just delete this thread.

junkyardjeff, Rather than reading posts on other forums why don't you go right to the source and ask the Hershey Region what the rules are as far as what vendors are allowed to drive onto the flea market fields?

No, they do not allow street rods, rat rods etc. to be shown or sold. Nor do they allow the sale of parts for those type of vehicles, not at national meets at least. What Regions/Chapters do at their local events is their business and many do hold mixed shows/flea markets as fund raisers.

As another poster wrote, the folks with those type vehicles have events of their own. The AACA is not trying to reach out to get them to join with vehicles that have been modified. The AACA is all about the vehicles that are un-restored or restored to look as they did when they came from the factory.

There are folks here that have street rods etc. They just don't talk about them here or post photos of them. They don't try to get those vehicles accepted into the AACA. That would be like trying to show many breeds of dogs at a single breed show. It just won't work.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

STOP AND THINK ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An AACA member has a late 1930's One Ton Van with a drive train out of a 10 year old truck. He drives 2,000 miles to Hershey with it filled with Flea Market parts. Some AACA guy is going to BAN his entry into the Flea Market?..... IF SO he better pop the hood on EVERY vehicle Hemmings Motor News and Olds Cars has in their spots.

I just want to know where they draw the line with the modified vehicles the vendors have,I understand with vehicles on the show and car corral fields but if I were to show up with a slightly modified vehicle I haul parts with am I going to be turned away. I personalize every vehicle I own so nothing is the way it left the factory,say I show up with all the stock parts left over from a update and I am in my 66 F250 with aftermarket wheels and a non original motor and other parts are they going to tell me to get lost after I paid for my spots. If they are going to have problems with the vehicles the vendors drive in then they might be in for some trouble,if people are selling parts that are not allowed then I can see it but if they have a problem with the vehicles they haul the parts in then maybe its not the venue I want to attend as I think its a little childish.

junkyardjeff,

I don't think you will have a problem but like Susan said.... Ask the Hershey Region. They make the rules for their event. It would be safer to ask them before but I don't think you should have a problem.

I will ask them before I would buy spaces (if they were ever available to begin with) but was just wanting to see if anyone knew if what I what I read on another forum was true,to me it seems crazy to dictate what type of vehicles vendors have if they are selling approved parts. After watching our government with the crazy stuff they do I dont like seeing other originizations doing the same,if what I read was true how long before they start to dictate what cars are in the spectator parking lots so just think about it. I understand the rules for the show and car corral fields but going after what the vendors drive in just sounds like they are not going in the right direction and just knitpicking. I hope my first post did not affend anyone as I was not completely awake and should of wrote it better and did try to stop it but it got out anyway and not trying to start any trouble but I was concerned with what I had read.

I wish I did a few years ago to find a home for a bunch of extra parts I had,if I go I would like to have a space for like a base camp to put the stuff I bought and not have to take it back to the parking lot. Do they allow people with campers to put them on the space to sleep in over night and to keep watch over their parts,I have been hearing about thefts at big swapmeets lately and if I was selling I would not want to, leave at night.

Do you have a vendor space?

That not what I read on the other forum but I should go to the horses mouth before reacting,I was probably reading someone interpretation of the rules and they got it wrong and makes me look like a fool so no more of that.

There is no restriction on what you drive to the meet in to sell parts out of just what you can show and sell.

.....but I should go to the horses mouth before reacting.....

You can't go wrong with that approach. As to the Hershey Region being available, do you have any idea how busy they are right now? If you have never been to Hershey you just can't imagine the scope of it to start with.

Wait a month after the event and then contact them for information for the future as in all likelyhood you can't get spots for this year anyway.

post-36313-143138112249_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Do they allow people with campers to put them on the space to sleep in over night and to keep watch over their parts,I have been hearing about thefts at big swapmeets lately and if I was selling I would not want to, leave at night.

Short answer, YES!

There is no way I could attend this year as my parts hauler is apart for body work and paint right now and I still need to do some work to my camper so maybe next year,I could imagine that is alot of work to put on. My parts hauler (1966 F250) could be considered modified (wheels,lokar shifter and a 460) by some and if there was truth to the rumor about there would be a chance I would not be allowed to enter or told to leave so I was concerned before spending the time and money to get a space,if it was true then I should attend another venue and then everyone involved would be happy.

Tolerance is not in the Hershey Region vocabulary. But, I would say t hat is just fine with me. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against hot rods, especially the great traditional rods built years ago. And, I don't think anyone who is a swap meet vendor should be banned because his daily driver has mag wheels on it. I can remembler in the early 1970's Posey's from Hummelston driving through the swap meet in his yellow 29 A model panel truck.

BUT, as far as the car corral, parts sales and car show go. Hershey is the one event all year I can count on to be dedicated to the cars I love. Bone stock, restored and or original cars.

I agree with the gentleman above. This is our event, for our cars. Last year the Region let a couple hot rods in the car corral including a stock looking but highly modified 36 Cord sedan. I felt that was a shame. Let's keep Hershey, Hershey and Goodguys, Goodguys, we can all co-exist and have fun seeing each others cars when we cross paths. AACA should never attempt to grow at the expense of the associations true mission.

Junkyardjeff--I don't believe they would take a second glance at your parts hauler, it is your utility vehicle to get your goods to the show. I know of other parts haulers on the field at Hershey every year that are similarly modified, no problems. I have seen GMC 671 blowers, Cal Custom footprint gas pedals, Blue Dot lenses, and other items that could and have been used for rodding. I personally would rather have you there selling actual car parts than the one or two Chinese tool vendors on each field--I can buy that stuff at Harbor Freight or other tool stores near my home and actually be able to return something thatis defective.

The business about the corral and the show are what they are, and we are all in agreement over that-- I would not go into a Catholic Church and start reading from the Koran without being invited.

I like looking at the stock vehicles and if thats the way the show and car corral is then it should stay that way,if I go I want to get a space to use as a base to put the parts I buy and I was concerned that if I were to get a space and travel the distance I would not be allowed in due to the vehicles I drive if modified vehicles were not allowed in the swapmeet area. I would be driving either my 66 F250 that I might keep looking stock or my 65 country squire that is basicly a stock vehicle but has been lowered and has torque thrust wheels but it wont be this year.

junkyard jeff,

I think that a rumor got started a year or two ago and like most rumors, it crops up again every now and then. If you have an occasion to see anybody on HAMB or any other forum spreading this, please reassure them that directly contacting the Hershey Region should result in clearing it up.

Perhaps, somebody said something to someone about a modified vehicle at Hershey sometime in the past and it has morphed into a full blown urban myth. I don't know how it got started, but I do, however, have faith that the Hershey Region is not out to turn vendors away from the Fall Meet. Hope to see you at Hershey next year...

Some days the morning fog takes a little longer to burn off and I blame it on having too much fun in my younger days and all bumping my head took on the hoods cars I worked on. I also need to do something about the other voices I hear too

Like we keep saying to you, get the answer directly from the Hershey Region. They are the only voice that matters. What other people put on other websites is NOT the voice you need to listen to.
Edited by junkyardjeff
need to add something (see edit history)

Getting a space is not all that easy, first you have to be an AACA member. Then hope that there are some open when the registration is out. I was lucky and got two last year of my own. I still share three spaces with a good friend. I parked a car in the space for sale and sold in in 15 minutes so I was rather pleased.

The two style meets / cultures really don't need to be combined all the time. There is a reason why the AACA and Hershey is what it is.

Our Region had a very bad experience with the two cultures being side by side at a local show.

Our Region had a car show in conjunction with a river regatta. It was only for antique cars. The local Corvette club asked us if they could have their show in the same venue as ours. No problem.

Then the local street rod/modified club wanted to join in. We said sure. BIG problem. We had a member do the announcements of door prizes and playing music with a small sound system as did the Corvette club folks. The street rod club had a professional DJ and a HUGE LOUD sound system that was so loud our folks at our show couldn't hear our music or announcments. I went over and very politely asked them to turn the volume down for the very reasons I just talked about. Do you think they did? H##l no!!! He turned the volume UP and grinned at me as he did it.

Our club gave up trying to have a show. We started them and we are the ones that got shoved out by rude people that just came in and took over and thought it was very funny to do so.

Ron, what I am referring to is a report of a person who was rumored to have been told he could not enter his swap meet space with his modified parts hauling truck. This seems to have circulated the net pretty extensively a year or two ago. I suspect it was an urban legend with no real basis in fact, but probably was derived from someone who was prevented from bringing a modified car into the car corral.

Since I only own modified vehicles and would like to get a space and heard about modified vehicles now being banned in the swapmeet area I was concerned about being turned away after I went through the expense to get there and to get a space,I have no problem with them being banned in the show car and car corral fields since it will ruin the integrity of the show and no one wants that.

..... and heard about modified vehicles now being banned in the swapmeet area.....

It is not that they are now being banned, modified vehicles have never been permitted to be shown, sold as a whole vehicle or flea market spaces to sell items intended to modifiy vehicles with at national AACA events such as Hershey.

I for one have expressed that I don't think that the AACA magazine should be printing ads that clearly sell items intended to modify vehicles, such as the kits to change correct headlamps into Halogen headlamps which are a mandatory ten point deduction. I was told that an advertising dollar can't be turned away. It still doesn't sound right to me to tell members the AACA is for the preservation of vehicles as they came from the factory, but then oh by the way, here are some ads about how you can modify your vehicle.

Shop RAt, Have you no side cutters??

Yeah, but not with me that day. Plus honestly, I wouldn't have a right to damage someone else's property. I just wish that some people weren't such jerks. I was nice to him and got his snotty attitude back at me. I bet he wouldn't have liked it had we ruined his car show. There was no valid point to what he did.

So if I came in selling my left over stock parts in my modified 65 country squire or 66 F250 I wont have a problem if I dont put a for sale sign on it,I guess I could haul the parts in my 89 crown vic but it wont have the room the other two have.

I am trying desperately now to understand why you keep asking us here on the forum. We don't make the rules that you are so worried about. Ask the Hershey Region.

Guest Stonefish
It is not that they are now being banned, modified vehicles have never been permitted to be shown, sold as a whole vehicle or flea market spaces to sell items intended to modifiy vehicles with at national AACA events such as Hershey.

But...it happens every year. There is always a modified car being shown and/or for sale. Even as simple as custom wheels & suspension mods are on cars(which at one time was clearly stated as a no-no for the car corral, not sure if it still does) are there!