Car show fees

LINC400

But I'll be darned if I want to pay to show next to..or see a classic 75 anything!!

People with this attitude always amuse me. Frequently the cars they prefer were 15 or 20 years old when they got into the hobby, and they demanded recognition for them. Now a car that is 35 years old is not good enough or old enough to be considered an antique by them.

$20 starts to be getting steep, however I pay it. It's amazing how many trophies some shows have. That raises the cost of the show. IMHO in a lot of shows there are too many trophies and maybe a 1:5 ratio is a good mix. 100 cars and 20 trophies. I've been to shows where it is a 1:2 ratio which raises the cost of the show and dilutes any significance for the trophy.

Also if these fees are for a charity, they can be deducted on your taxes.

• 7 months later...

I was awarded a first junior at an AACA meet a few years ago and was waiting until a meet was held relatively close-by to get my senior award, since I drive my cars. I was planning on entering the AACA show in Louisville this year. It seems that it will cost me $100 to enter the show. I would think that the main attraction of the meet would be the car show. Here again, the participants are paying to display their car and it's a $50 fee (+$50 meet registration fee). This show is indoors, so an admission fee could be charged for those entering. They won't see me at this one.

Edited by supersix (see edit history)

I was awarded a first junior at an AACA meet a few years ago and was waiting until a meet was held relatively close-by to get my senior award, since I drive my cars. I was planning on entering the AACA show in Louisville this year. It seems that it would have cost me $100 to enter the show. I would think that the main attraction of the meet would be the car show. Here again, the participants are paying to display their car and it's a $50 fee (+$50 meet registration fee). This show is indoors, so an admission fee could be charged for those entering. They won't see me at this one.

supersix, read this thread and you will find that the fee you are talking about is not being charged. We thought the same thing but now we are signed up to judge.

http://forums.aaca.org/f213/question-about-louisville-show-281429.html

I just signed up for the Louisville show, and it was $50. Of course with the cruise, dinner, etc the total bill was $230 plus three days at the hotel. Actually, this is a bit lower than I usually for long distance shows over several days. Really, a pretty good deal for three days of fun. Am bringing the 23 McLaughlin Buick. I am going to have her judged, but I know I will probably get several big deductions, but it will be interesting to see how she does. See you there.

supersix, read this thread and you will find that the fee you are talking about is not being charged. We thought the same thing but now we are signed up to judge.

http://forums.aaca.org/f213/question-about-louisville-show-281429.html

I'm referring to the cost of entering a car to be judged. If I'm reading this correctly, it refers to people entering the gate to see or judge the cars. I received this e-mail yesterday, which said in part: "...due to the special nature of this event you will have to register for the event and also register your car for the car show."

Guest bofusmosby

Well, I have read this thread from the beginning, and I can see both sides of this topic. I am brand new to this hobby, and my 1937 Pontiac is my first old car. With the economy like it is right now, money is kinda tight. Of courase with the expense of my car, I am working on a very thin shoe-string budget. I have gone to car shows before, and always had to pay an admission. I went to one several months ago, and I believe that I paid $8 to get in the gate. To me (as a spectator) it was well worth the money. It will probably be another month or so before I take my car out on the road, and yes, I do plan on attending some shows. Will I ever attend "Bobs Burger Joint" and pay an entry fee? Nope. I would rather not help someone's business at my expense. Will I ever enter a show and pay a fee if the proceeds go to a good cause? Yes! However, I doubt I will ever pay any more than $20 to enter any show. Am I cheap? Well.....to be honest with you.....I....um....have to be that way to pay the bills. I myself have no interest in any trophies, but I don't knock those who do. You know, to each his own.

I must admit though, that it kind of gets me when I think about all the money old car people put into their vehicles, go to a show (where their cars are the entertainment) have to pay to enter the show, while the spectators get in for free. Now that just doesn't seem right. Who am I to judge. I am brand new here, so I am pretty much learning as I go. One last thing that must be taken into account, is the insurance issue. Now days, there are so many people out there that look for any excuse to file a law suite (sp), that the orginization which puts on the show has to protect themselves. This (along with a good charity) would justify charging an admission fee.

Car shows in my area are going for about $35-$45 bucks except for the bigger shows at a little over $100. but most of those are over a three day span. I have my Olds in the Pacific Southwest Zone meet this weekend and it was $45. , but that also includes a lunch. What has happened in my area starting about ten years ago was a group of guys getting together every Saturday mornings at a doughnut or bakery shop for a couple of hours. The first one in my area was the pismo derelicts and this spread to the Cider Creek bakery bumbs and another place in Morro Bay (no name). It is about 30+ miles from one to the next and every Saturday each place has cars. Pismo Beach derelicts can have as many as 150-200 cars and Cider Creek bakery 40-80 cars. The people are just car people-no shows-no lookie loos. Please go to pismoderelicts.com to see what we do.

Don

It is interesting reading all the comments on car shows. I have been going to and putting on shows for 60 years. We used to get sponsors to pay for everything and even give the car club a donation for bringing their cars. But with the economy drying up sponsors are hard to come by. Someone has to pay for the expenses. If you charge the car owners too much they will not come and they are the show and if you charge the public too much they will not come, it's a balancing act. We have to cut back on the expenses. Instead of trophy's you should give out ribbons, they are much cheaper, and everyone can get one. Look at the horse shows, just about everyone gets a ribbon. You go into someones tack room and they have ribbons all over the place, you would think they were world champions.

And how about the antique car tours, there was a time when you had to have limits on the number of particpants, now they never seem to be up to capacity and some tours have canceled. They are just getting to be too expensive and our old cars are not the most economical on gas. (If you can get real gas!!)

RHL

We charge a minimal entry fee at the Krasl Art Center Concours for spectators and find local businesses to sponsor individual cars at $35.00 and $50.00 if they want to ride in the car for the Pass in Review. That way the car owner bears no expense.

In terms of ribbons for everyone, I think it's a bad idea as I believe it demeans the cars that are truly worthy of recognition.

Guest ken bogren

I've listed over 1,000 car shows, cruises & cruise-ins, etc on my website so far this year and the number that charge over $20.00 is minimal at most. Many are free for the show car.

I see a lot of show notices that say something like "All proceeds to (some charity)"

I'll proudly park next to anyone that wants to show off their car, share a good time with other car lovers, and pay a few dollars to support a good cause.

The generosity of the collector car community is amazing!

Edited by ken bogren (see edit history)

I've attended 3 different concours on different occasions and none has charged a fee. They do charge an admission fee at the gate. I would pay $50 to enter the AACA show in Louisville, even though I wouldn't be participating in any other activities other than the car show, but $100 is ridiculous.

We are putting on a show in June for a benefit, it's $20 per car (not per person) because if there is nobody putting money in, there would be no show. Spectators won't pay much more than about $5 ea and that's just not enough to pay the bills. We have many volunteers and a lot of things to pay for. The entry fee is what it takes to provide the venue, food, prizes, insurance, and advertising. This is the way it's always been because it works. Put together a show yourself and see just how much work it really is and I'm sure you'll better understand $20 ea. is cheap.

post-31565-14313821438_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

Since my post did any of you go to the Pismo Beach derelicts webb site? Read their mission statement?? comments?? Did you know that the Hunington Beach derelicts (who got this whole idea going) can draw over 400 cars on a Saturday morning! People just show up--like we used to do in the 50's and 60's with no entanglements....and it's every weelend!

Don

I still think it is wrong for the show cars to have to pay for admission, but spectators get in for free. There is no show without the cars. The spectators that won't pay to get in are usually the ones I can do without. They are generally the ones that get fingerprints all over, spill their Coke and ice cream on my car, and have to feel my velour seats with their sticky fingers. People willing to pay to get in are usually car people, and are hopefully more respectful and careful (though not always).

Some here with Duesenbergs and Cadillac V-16's left open might laugh that at public spectator admission free show, my car is locked and windows rolled up. But I do not need to shampoo mustard and ice cream out of my just detailed interior again.

Guest billybird

I will answer the original question too. 20 bucks; IF I know from previous experience that I like the show. Now, as for the Louisville "fee" as some call it; I'm sure the Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center is not coming to this region for free. The air conditioned comfort and non worry of rain will make this one worth the price.

I still think it is wrong for the show cars to have to pay for admission, but spectators get in for free. There is no show without the cars. The spectators that won't pay to get in are usually the ones I can do without. They are generally the ones that get fingerprints all over, spill their Coke and ice cream on my car, and have to feel my velour seats with their sticky fingers. People willing to pay to get in are usually car people, and are hopefully more respectful and careful (though not always).

Some here with Duesenbergs and Cadillac V-16's left open might laugh that at public spectator admission free show, my car is locked and windows rolled up. But I do not need to shampoo mustard and ice cream out of my just detailed interior again.

I couldn't agree more LINC400, When I have a car in a show (yesterday's Pacific Southwest Olds CA Zone meet) and 90% of the people are the ones that have a car entered my level of anxitey goes way down because I know my brothers and sisters in this hobby are careful around and respect these cars. I'll never forget the day when one of my buddies and his parents ( a father and son with matching black 56 T-birds) went to a show and while he and his parents were in a cafe some guy got his girlfriend into my friends car, shoes on the seats and her butt parked on the rear deck taking pictures! Or my friend while having just spent thousands of dollars on paint for his 69 Grand Prix was in his first POCI show with the just finished car when some lady with a huge purse with metal buttons on the bottom whirled around real fast to change directions and put a scratch about four inches long down to the primer. Ever see someone explode, that scratch made him re-shoot the whole car again.

Let them pay to get in and no bikes, scateboards, loose children, no strollers, and no dogs to hike a leg on your wheels!

Don

Guest billybird

helfen: I understand everything you are saying; but don't you think no strollers is a little harsh?

helfen: I understand everything you are saying; but don't you think no strollers is a little harsh?

I have seen a few very close calls with stroller handles. At the show ok not going row by row between cars please!

Don

I don't have as much of a problem with strollers as I have for lamebrains that bring their poor dog on a leash to walk on hot asphalt while the owner blathers on about "I use to own one of those!" No wonder dogs seek shelter under the car, dragging their chain on your rocker panel.

People! Please leave your dogs at home. It's unkind to make them walk on hot asphalt. Take your shoes off and tell me how it feels.:rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with children either. In fact, we should be encouraging people to bring their kids. Unfortunately, the same idiot that lets their monsters run amok in the restaurant and grocery store are the same ones that won't teach their kids common car-show etiquette.

I was amazed at how respectful the Junior Judges were at Amelia Island. Kudos to Hagerty for instilling the right kind of eduction in those kids.

I don't have as much of a problem with strollers as I have for lamebrains that bring their poor dog on a leash to walk on hot asphalt while the owner blathers on about "I use to own one of those!" No wonder dogs seek shelter under the car, dragging their chain on your rocker panel.

People! Please leave your dogs at home. It's unkind to make them walk on hot asphalt. Take your shoes off and tell me how it feels.:rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with children either. In fact, we should be encouraging people to bring their kids. Unfortunately, the same idiot that lets their monsters run amok in the restaurant and grocery store are the same ones that won't teach their kids common car-show etiquette.

I was amazed at how respectful the Junior Judges were at Amelia Island. Kudos to Hagerty for instilling the right kind of eduction in those kids.

Bill and I were just at the show at New Bern. As I was judging the exteriors (I was Team Captain also but was short one judge so I had to also judge :rolleyes: ) I saw three young brothers looking at the very vehicle we were judging. All three had the remains of their cotton candy on their faces and I was watching them very closely. Not one of them touched anything or got closer than they should have. :) I told them what good boys they are and thanked them for looking and not touching.

There were quite a few dogs also but the ones I saw in the area of my two classes kept them far enough away.

Hey Susan, was just talking to a friend and mentioned this post. He was telling me of a guy who has his dog trained on GM cars. I said what? He said the dog was trained to splash anything lower than a Pontiac! Glad I only have Pontiac's and Olds. I do have VW's, hate to think what would happen.

Don

Hey Susan, was just talking to a friend and mentioned this post. He was telling me of a guy who has his dog trained on GM cars. I said what? He said the dog was trained to splash anything lower than a Pontiac! Glad I only have Pontiac's and Olds. I do have VW's, hate to think what would happen.

Don

And here I thought that "piddle pads" were the way to go. :D

Or my friend while having just spent thousands of dollars on paint for his 69 Grand Prix was in his first POCI show with the just finished car when some lady with a huge purse with metal buttons on the bottom whirled around real fast to change directions and put a scratch about four inches long down to the primer. Ever see someone explode, that scratch made him re-shoot the whole car again.

Let them pay to get in and no bikes, scateboards, loose children, no strollers, and no dogs to hike a leg on your wheels!

Don

I think that would be justifiable homicide:) Of course then you have the crowd of car owners think it's ridiculous that some of us maintain and finsih our cars to a high standard and wonder why we get upset when some idiots have no idea how to treat a car that doesn't belong to them.

Guest dokks6t9

We attended a car show here at home Sunday. Each car was $10 bucks. I spent $20 bucks for the 2 cars. My son and I won 2 door prizes. The first one was for a free oil, filter,and lube valued @ $26 bucks. The second door prize was a $20 gift certificate at the local grocery store.I couldn't have been more happier.And I agree, leave the dogs home!! Bring the kids, let them sit in the car, but leave the dogs home.

Don

Talked to my friend again today and he told me his friend had trained the dog to give out the recognition awards.

D.

And how about the antique car tours, there was a time when you had to have limits on the number of particpants, now they never seem to be up to capacity and some tours have canceled. They are just getting to be too expensive and our old cars are not the most economical on gas. (If you can get real gas!!)

RHL

You are obviously not speaking of AACA tours, most of which are sold out or very well attended.

Guest billybird

Regarding dogs:Dogs don't belong at a car show. What would someone think if you drove your car into a dog show arena? Yeah, out of place. Some people think a dogs paws are tough because they are rough. However; I read in a dog book that their paws are the most sensitive of all body parts. No dog cares one iota about a car show; it's a dog and I have had one all my life so this is comming from a dog lover. Leave your "buddy" at home; he'll have a much better day.

I don't like to pay but I can see both sides. I have paid $20 to enter Stowe or Hemmings at Stratton Mtn. I could care less about a trophy. No one looks at either of my cars anyway because they're sedans. Sometimes, I get just as much out of driving my car to a show, leaving it in the parking lot and walking around for free. Most of the shows around here have gone pffft anyway and they were getting boring because it was always the same cars at every show. Besides, since I started going to Hershey, everything else pales in comparison. I'd rather save my time and money for it instead.

I don't like to pay but I can see both sides. I have paid $20 to enter Stowe or Hemmings at Stratton Mtn. I could care less about a trophy. No one looks at either of my cars anyway because they're sedans. Sometimes, I get just as much out of driving my car to a show, leaving it in the parking lot and walking around for free. Most of the shows around here have gone pffft anyway and they were getting boring because it was always the same cars at every show. Besides, since I started going to Hershey, everything else pales in comparison. I'd rather save my time and money for it instead.

John,

Thank you for bringing the topic of this thread "Car Show Fees" back on subject.

Peter.

I have not read all of the posts here, so maybe what I am going to say has already been covered. The last show that our now defunct AACA region held, we took a different approach. We did no judging and no trophies. Instead we scoured the city for sponsors for some of the most impressive door prizes that you can envision. The top prize was a $600 tool chest from Sam's that we were able to get at a discount and paid for it with cash donations from sponsors. We also gave out a moderate sized compressor. In addition we handed out goody bags that contained items that when added up came to more than the entry fee. Nobody went home that day poorer than when they went it. Everyone had a ball and no one complained about a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, place trophy. We all just enjoyed the cars. Also the two people that won the top two door prizes swapped even, because the guy who won the tool chest had just bought a new one and did not need the one that he had won. That was over 10 years ago and people still talk about that show to this day. Entry fee $15.00. Try it......

I have not read all of the posts here, so maybe what I am going to say has already been covered. The last show that our now defunct AACA region held, we took a different approach. We did no judging and no trophies. Instead we scoured the city for sponsors for some of the most impressive door prizes that you can envision. The top prize was a $600 tool chest from Sam's that we were able to get at a discount and paid for it with cash donations from sponsors. We also gave out a moderate sized compressor. In addition we handed out goody bags that contained items that when added up came to more than the entry fee. Nobody went home that day poorer than when they went it. Everyone had a ball and no one complained about a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, place trophy. We all just enjoyed the cars. Also the two people that won the top two door prizes swapped even, because the guy who won the tool chest had just bought a new one and did not need the one that he had won. That was over 10 years ago and people still talk about that show to this day. Entry fee $15.00. Try it......

This is the best system yet. I just threw about 50 pounds of dusty overspray covered trophies in the trash bin. I'd much rather have a can of car wax than another tacky plastic piece of chachka............Bob

Like I said, I have no interest in trophies nor do I want to listen to music blaring so loudly that I can't have a normal conversation with someone. I have no interest in paying a fee so someone can take home a trophy or a disc jockey can be paid. Oh, and then the other thing that bugs me is an "emcee" who won't shut up.

Guest rony99

Well the entry fee seems to be high.I would not go to any car show if they charge me over $15.When the spectators can come in free,without paying then why not us.I went to a car show last two months back.After reaching there got to know that the fee was $ 20.