Photo #1...rat rod...#2...hot rod.

keiser31

First photo is my idea of what a "rat rod" looks like.....rough and ratty looking. Cobbled together.

Second photo is my idea of what a "hot rod" looks like.....clean and fast looking. Nicely planned.

post-37352-143138086001_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138086003_thumb.jpg

Might as well make some sort of rod out of the hundreds of thousands of stashed-away original cars from that era. No, I don't really mean that, but I wish some of those oldies will someday be sold to someone that will use them.

As to defining the different rods, there seems to be 3. Rats, traditional, and streetrod.

Traditional cars are a study of automobile history, and most oldtimer guys realize that modifying cars was probably invented with the first car ever built.

Being that I may be short on years left to work, I hope to finish my two 1932 cars first. I also have others of different decades, but my interests seem to be early depression era right now. My other 32 is a Ford that was an old Cal hotrod that had been cut, hacked, and I think it was even rolled. It will be a late 50s build with all the period parts, nothing repro. Late 50s used all sorts of motors, but the early Olds and Buicks seemed to be king..until the first Chevy V8s became available in wrecked cars. I am using a souped up 324 Olds and there are a lot of parts I DON'T need wink.gif like hood, fenders, bumpers, etc.

I have a nice muscle car convertible, but I have little interest in those cars because I grew up with that era, and they just don't float my boat. They are vastly more practical and popular, but I don't care about that.

I agree with F&J a photo of a Street Rod is needed to explain the three common types of Rods. That Rat Rod phoyo is very tame, there is some real crap out there, that one isn't too far off the mark from what was built in the 1970's. My '30 Roadster will be a period perfect 1962 build, 354 HEMI, Buick finned drums 4speed, much like the Coupe in photo #2.

I thought the first few rat rods I saw were a very entertaining reactionary turn on the high dollar, all the same goodguys street rods. But then I saw one that looked rusty and clapped out but up close had actually been PAINTED to look like rust over fiberglass and obviously cost a lot, from then on I was not impressed. I do love that Hemi piece though!