2 SEATER AMERICAN CARS

Well, let's see... How about the little Nash Metropolitan. And then there was the Bricklin (remember the gullwing doors?)-- to say nothing of all those '50s business coupes (Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, Ford) which, while certainly not sporty vehicles, were indeed two-seaters.<P>More, anyone?<P>Jerry

I think the delorean was england or ireland.American motors has the amx. Ford had the cobra.allante of course. I think there may be many more.But will take a lot more thought.

Well now, didn't Kaiser/Fraser make a really beautiful 2 seater that is now a rare collectible? Are we counting useless "jump seats"? Was the Metropolitan made here? Thought that was done by Austin or Hillman. Did the AMC Pacer have a back seat? Which end was the back, anyway? Does the Prowler have a back seat? Viper? What about re-badged cars like Dodge/Plymouth Mitsubishis and the Geo convertible?

The metropolitan was built in England for Nash/Hudson and had a back seat. Although riding on one inch of foam on metal with your head bent to follow the roofline is not the most comfortable. Three other two seaters were I think the Glaspar, the Woodill Wildfire, and the Kurtis. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Auburn 886, any number of AC-Cobra replicas (original was UK-USA hybred), Barrister, BoCar, Bradford, Bradley GT, Ceres, Clenet, Cunningham, Daytona Moya, Elite Laser, Grasshopper, Kaiser-Darren, Kanzler, Kellmark, Kurtis, Manta, Mohs, Woodhill Wildfire (love the name but most were Jag powered. <P>Do we count the reverse hybreds such as the Cad-Allards ? Almost everything in "Johhny Dark" ? Could list lots more if could find my "Standard Catalogue of American Cars" pre-76 volume - see the back) but had an avalanche in the den and have not dug out yet.<p>[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: padgett ]

The Bricklin? - no; it was built in Canada. And of course John Delorean's car was built in Northern Ireland.<P>However these American two seaters can be added to the list:<P>Saleen S7 - a new car, all American<BR>Panoz Esperante - and all other Panoz models<BR>Shelby Series 1 (with Oldsmobile engine)<BR>Cheetah<P>And was the Playboy mentioned? - there is another one.

Yeah, of course the Opel GT was built at Russelsheim, Germany. Chrysler TC built in Italy.<P>But add that McLaren convertible from late 80's. It was really a Mercury Capri with a (poorly) chopped top, but unlike the Mustang convertibles of the era it was a two seater.

Guest Geoff Meador

Hmm.. no Corvette in the replies so far smile.gif" border="0<P>AMC's Gremlin was optionally a two-seater, but only in its debut year.

Mk IV was a GT-40 expanded to carry the 427. It originally started out as the English Lola GT but like the Cobra 427 (see Bill Cosby's "200 MPH") had had just about everything redesigned/replaced by then. Were built by Car Craft in Michigan so count.<P>BTW found my "Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975 and pages 637-734 are "Alternative Cars" at about three per page, about 40% oddball 2 seaters from the 1955 "American Buckboard" to the 65-69 Yenko Stinker and Camaro (both sold sans rear seat).<P>Not a two seater but would still have trouble turning down a nice Studillac.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, no, the Javelin was not a two seater. Rather it was a "pony car" coupe - similar in seating, size and marketing to the Mustang and Camaro. You may be thinking of the shorter, short lived AMX, built off the same tooling and a definite two seater.

Someone mentioned the El Camino and my beloved Ranchero. I guess so. I've always had to register my Ranchero as a truck, but I guess we did not limit the discussion to two seat cars. Certainly the El Camino and Ranchero are much more car like than truck like. Well, if we count that pair, please add the GMC Caballero and the earlier GMC Sprint.

In the same vein, also add the Dodge Rampage. Remember that one? Built off the Dodge Omni O24/Plymouth TC3 platform. Sort of an American Subaru Brat. Then there was the Volkswagen Golf/Rabbit pickup - built in Pennsylvania. And the original car/pickup - the Studebaker Coupe Express. And the Lark based Studebaker Champ.

And if trucks are OK for our informal list too, then we can go to F-150, Ram, C-10, etc.