Something new for Restorers..An Auto Stylist..

StylishOne

After many years on the Design World and as a Car Collector, I decided to blend my skills,knowledge,and talent to offer fellow collectors my services. I would like to know from members if they can help me clearly define the needs of the restorer. I have a strong background in color, leather, fabrics, as well as color research on Automobiles, duplicating original trims,fabrics, special stitching,period detailing, etc.

Without any offense to any collectors, I came to this idea when I saw several autos that the workmanship was fine but the coordination or choice of colors, and interiors I felt didnt make the vehicle shine as it could. In fact I wondered if they considered the cars appeal for resale. Anyway email me with your thoughts or ideas.

I agree. I see a lot of older cars that look like Easter eggs -- too many colors, often in screaming contrast. And too many color combinations that have "aged" -- meaning that when restored, they were done in the trendy colors of the day that now look, the best word I can use, is unfortunate. A good color or combination of colors -- typically something subtle --is timeless. I have one car that is wildly over-contrasted, and it gets tiresome. And I have another restored in one base color, inside and out, that is as appealing today as when I first did it a decade ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrbartlett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. I see a lot of older cars that look like Easter eggs -- too many colors, often in screaming contrast. And too many color combinations that have "aged" -- meaning that when restored, they were done in the trendy colors of the day that now look, the best word I can use, is unfortunate. A good color or combination of colors -- typically something subtle --is timeless. I have one car that is wildly over-contrasted, and it gets tiresome. And I have another restored in one base color, inside and out, that is as appealing today as when I first did it a decade ago. </div></div>

I AM NOT trying to offend, but as a professional restorer I need to clarify. If a car is "restored", you do not have a choice of colors because that choice was made at the factory. If you stray from the original colors and fabrics, you are doing a "Custom" NOT a restoration. I am real tired of the incorrect use of the term "restored." It has somehow became a generic term referring to anything that was repainted or re-done in any way without regard to originality. Using the term "restoration" infers that it will be "restored" (to original specs) and not "customized."

You are offering services to customize a car and I hope you can make a go of it especially in these trying times. There is a place for what you offer and I would love to see some of your work. I love a custom as much any a resto or survivor, but please use the correct terms. (Survivors are my personal favorite!)

Do you by any chance have a web-page where the folks here can see some of your work?

I agree with you. I have seen some vehicles that the owner had paid a lot of money to have re-done/restored (whatever word you like for that kind of work).

And they used colors for the interior and exterior that were available for that year, make and model, which is within the rules of the AACA. But they sure didn't pick ones that complimented each other. sick.gif

My mom was a wonderful artist so I grew up with understanding how colors go together smile.gif....or don't. smirk.gif

+

+

This is what John is speaking of.....

+

57_ford.jpg

Mine you, Ford Motor Company had some nice color combinations and interiors combos, especially considering what we have to look at today. Still, that knock your eyes old orange and the white accented interior is period custom. A very nice 1957 Ford!

This picture was taken at the Annual Riverfest Festival in Tappahannock, Virginia this past weekend.

Wayne

For some reason, it seems that the big Classics always get the gaudy colors. Not that they're particularly unattractive, but they don't seem like period correct color schemes. I've seen a lot of really ugly Duesenbergs (not that I would object to putting say, a pink, brown and blue one in my garage). And I have to admit that I don't really object to the orange cars below.

37_Packard_V12.jpg

34_Packard1.jpg

Duesenberg_J2.jpg

30cord.jpg

33396004.Cord1929Orange.JPG

29ruxton.jpg

Perhaps our new friend up above will help avert some of these disasters.

In his defense, the guy with the baby blue 1937 Packard bought it that way 15 years ago, he didn't paint it like that. But yes, it looks ridiculous.

The three tone 1934 Packard is a little much as well.

To me, the Duesenberg isnt THAT bad. While not my choice of colors either, I've seen worse on a big D.

The L 29 Cord is painted the infamous "restoration red." I think gettng top dollar at an auction was the goal with that color choice.

The Ruxton is just over the top and looks riduculous.

Thanks to you guys for your input. I have always been someone who speaks my mind and Im not afraid to do so. Just felt it was time to speak up about it. In my mind these vehicles are a MAJOR investment of time and money(and yes love). Beyond that they sadly, will some day, be sold either by the owner, or their heirs...so why make that process more difficult for anyone?? My services would always remember all those factors and certainly the needs of the owner/client.

Restored vs customized ,etc. I meant of course colors and materials that would be proper to the make and vintage.. I too love survivors and totally original cars even if a little on the weak side, showing the patina of many years. Whats odd about color coordinating a car. In times gone by the tastes reflected the time periods. You see browns, golds, oranges and green in the '70s and pinks,corals,purples, turquoises,yellows in the '50s.. Some very odd color schemes I personally like as they mirror the time period and conjure up what the roads looked like then. Today collectors might have a hard time looking at them..but its also about preserving a sense of history. Isn't that what we all basically do? Pass a memory of a time gone by to our kids and their world?

Just like in house design Stylist or decorator have to please clients. So have great taste and others well some of the photos you saw answer that. Certainly if you arent too sure youre up to the level of achieving a pleasing outcome why not admit it to yourself and seek the help of a person who has the style you admire? Folks do it with their homes all the time.. the results generally are closely tied to the owners tasts as well as the stylist needing to please them. For example duplicating an original interior. If you start off with leather that doesnt have the same hand(stiffness, thickness, finish ,etc) even the most skilled craftsman would end up with a completely different looking interior when completed. You dont make a mans suit out of coat weight fabrics.. it all just doesnt work.

Finally in response to the fellow that asked to see a car I have done. Honestly my personal cars were all I did,even those I didnt take to the level we are discussing now. They were dr only drivers. Additionally, this is a new avenue for me so Im not sitting here with a portfolio for your review. Perhaps with any luck I will be working on making that portfolio soon. If you have a serious interest contact me directly I do have some photos around.

Thanks for the replies and shedding light on a topic important to me.

You might be surprised how colorful cars could be back when. Take the Ruxton for example. The first one made was a 4 door sedan painted in horizontal stripes of different shades of mauve/purple. The stripes were about 6 inches wide. I forget whether they got darker as they went up or as they went down.

This was the "Question Mark" show model.

There were others custom made to the original owner's taste that resembled a peacock with bloodshot eyes. But you would never know it from the old black and white photos.

In the brass era especially, standard colors could be quite gaudy. After 1915 the blacks, dark greens, maroons etc became fashionable and bright colors and bright trim were passe for about 10 years.

In the mid 20s Duco paint and nitrocellulose lacquer made it easier to do a good looking paint job. Auburn and Jordan featured some loud combinations and so did others. Even the most conservative offered some bright colors and all cars had contrasting pinstripes in apple green, bright red, orange etc.

The stylists tried to direct or assist the customer into more tasteful ensembles if possible but I never heard of them refusing to build a car if the buyer was adamant.

I can see where there would be a place today for someone to stand in for the old time stylist and help pick suitable color combinations and accessories. It would help to be steeped in the history of cars and able to chose an ensemble as it would have been done in the particular year the car was made.

- The first stylist for Pierce Arrow specified the colors of a peacock's tail (green gold and purple) for a show model in the early teens. He had to fight the chief of engineering to build it, but they built it and it was a sensation. It sold off the stand the first day.He knew nature does not make mistakes when it comes to color.

- Later this engineer tried to order his personal car in white with white leather upholstery with accessories that would have looked awful. The stylist persuaded him to a more conservative look in keeping with his personality.After that they became friends.

- Jack Dempsey ordered a Chrysler Imperial 80 in bright yellow in 1928. When it arrived at the dealer's he said it was "too cheesy looking" and refused delivery.

-Allis Chalmers orange was originally called Poppy Orange,it was the standard color of all Case cars before WW1.

-The purple striped Ruxton mentioned above.

No doubt there are other loud cars from the classic era, can anyone think of other examples?

One loud color that came and went in a flash was "Wisteria" a bright pinky mauve that would knock your eye out. I have seen it in 1956 car catalogs from Lincoln to Austin but have never seen a car painted that color. Does anyone remember a "Wisteria" car?

It would certainly make an impression at any car show and it would be authentic for 1956.

Rusty> 56 Lincoln Premieres are favorites of mine. I have owned in my life probably 20 or so. I had an Island coral, 2 Amethyst pink, one Wisteria with blk/ white/ wisteria interior, yellow and blk, and a few Huntsman Red ones.. Also Tri-toned 56 Buicks can be great. I personally would love the flesh or blush color with the red and blk or the yellow/ red/ black (forgot the proper names)Roadmaster . I am aware of the makes you mentioned. In the 20's Lincolns ads had tropical birds with cars reflecting those color ways.. I have been known to buy a car for the color alone.. I always ask interior and exterior color when shopping for a car in the first few questions. I do love 50s onverts in red, yellow, or turq..maybe baby blue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StylishOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally in response to the fellow that asked to see a car I have done.</div></div>

Not a fellow. blush.gif But you wouldn't know that from the screen name. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Additionally, this is a new avenue for me so Im not sitting here with a portfolio for your review. Perhaps with any luck I will be working on making that portfolio soon.</div></div>

That would be a good idea to put one together. It won't work to want people to trust their vehicles to you if you can't show the level of quality you are capable of producing.

There are people that just have no idea how to put colors and shades together so that there is a pleasing outcome. It sounds like the business you want to start would be right up their alley. And that goes for restorations or modifications.

I find it interesting that we get a false impression from black and white photos.

Cars, clothes, houses, etc were a lot more colorful than we would imagine from black and white photos and newspaper and magazine pictures. But we never think of that because we instinctively take the pictures for "truth".

• Like 1

I could see a need for your services. There are those of us, myself included, whose car is not worth bring to complete originality, for whatever reasons, but we'd like it to be close without spending a small fortune.

Ahh, you got me, Bill!

Yes, I like loud colors. I can't stand the looks of the new cars of today. They're bland, no heart, no soul.

But, if I had a cord frame, I'd certainly want the original body put on it. Who could possibly say that a Cord was NOT stylish?

Wayne

I'm somewhat shocked about these peacock colors mentioned!. Born in the early '40's my memory of cars is black, brown, maroon, beige, green and blue. All of them solid.

"Peacock" colors?? Stripes???

Of course I spent my early years in countries other than the US. From age of recollection: Australia, '42-'47; China, '47-'49; Europe, (France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland), '49-'54; India & Pakistan, '54-'56; Australia, & SEast Asia, (Saigon, Bangkok, Singapore, Hong-kong" '56-'58; more Europe, this time including Jugoslavia and Greece, '58-'60.

In 1960 I landed in the US & yes, there were some two-tones and some aquas, various shades of the standard. But Peacock? Stripes???

I Guess New England, where I lived, missed the "glory" of these ridiculous sounding cars?

In response to the original post: I live in the boonies of S.E. AZ. In the sense of picking up old beauties it's heaven. After finding a gem it's a nightmare. I'm a classicist & I just wish you lived nearby.

As for these "peacock" painted etc, abominations, I repeat...... huh? Gabi

They did exist, I'm not saying everywhere.

The 40s and early 50s did feature a lot of drab colored sedans. But even then there were a few yellow convertibles. In the mid 50s cars got a lot more colorful, at least American cars did. By 1955 some makers were featuring 3 tone paint jobs. Packard, Dodge, and Rambler who had previously made the stodgiest looking cars, went in for 3 tones.

Again, you did not see them on every street corner but they were available. This is important to a restorer who wants a little pizazz while still being period correct.

It wasn't just America either. The Daimler company in the 50s built a series of show cars known as the "Docker Daimlers" or sometimes "Docker shockers" that were quite gaudy.

The first was the "Green Goddess" painted iridescent green with gold plated trim and accessories, and snakeskin seats.

In the lower price brackets Austin sold Metropolitans in ice cream colors and offered Wisteria colored A90 sedans. You would have to see a Wisteria colored Austin to believe it. The sight of one might well kill someone with a bad hangover.

France never seemed to get anything but drab sedans. The typical French manufacturer would make one car for 20 years and paint every one the same color. Black with cream wheels for Citroen, Peugeot I think had a dull blue gray and others likewise.

It's hard to believe that a people as arty and fashion conscious as the French would put up with this.

What they were driving in Hong Kong and Jugoslavia I wouldn't know. The real gaudy cars may have been common only in Hollywood and on the Riviera but they did exist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> By 1955 some makers were featuring 3 tone paint jobs. Packard, Dodge, and Rambler who had previously made the stodgiest looking cars, went in for 3 tones. </div></div>

Pontiac in 1955 offered 39 2-tone paint schemes and 14 solid colors by the end of the model year. Just about any combination you could think of however the salmon wasn’t one of my favorites.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In the lower price brackets Austin sold Metropolitans in ice cream colors and offered Wisteria colored A90 sedans. </div></div>

Let's not forget that Mets were designed for the lady of the house. These were for short trips around town while the husband was off working with the family car. All Mets were two toned.........

Well, well. Live and learn. To me this is fascinating information, (and a bit of a shock for an old stodge).

Can't imagine the talk around our dining table when I was growing up had any one of us seen a wisteria/salmon/peacock colored automobile! From my parents it already bordered on horror when eldest brother, (the family rebel and car fanatic), bought a RED Lambretta! (He couldn't afford a car at the time.)

At his urging, Dad finally gave in about 1956 and bought a two-toned Belair. Blue and white. Oh my, did that car turn heads! While we kids loved it, I think it was always a source of embarrassment, and its purchase of slight regret, to our shy and conservative Papa. (Could the French have lagged in auto "stylishness" because the market for "wild" colors was small in Europe? My northern Italian father pretty well reflected the feelings of his peers. Drab was "correct" where choice of driving style was concerned.)

I do remember yellow and metallic paints. From personal memory only, that was late '60's. I think it was around the time that vinyl tops were released in the US, but I would love to see some of the early, early cars in color combinations you all are describing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gabi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm somewhat shocked about these peacock colors mentioned!. </div></div>

There is a Marmon that is painted at least two shades of lavender and two shades of pink and some purple for trim if I remember correctly. It is nick-named "The Easter Bunny". It was beautifully restored for an older couple who have since passed on. The car still exists. I wish I had had a camera with me many years ago when I saw it. It had just come out of the restoration shop and the restoreer along with the very elegant couple were there with the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gabi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm somewhat shocked about these peacock colors mentioned!. </div></div>

There is a Marmon that is painted at least two shades of lavender and two shades of pink and some purple for trim if I remember correctly. It is nick-named "The Easter Bunny". It was beautifully restored for an older couple who have since passed on. The car still exists. I wish I had had a camera with me many years ago when I saw it. It had just come out of the restoration shop and the restoreer along with the very elegant couple were there with the car.

</div></div>

Was this the original color scheme?

Quite why the French and Italians should be so artistic and style conscious when it came to clothing jewelry and furniture but extremely conservative in cars is a mystery to me. But now that you mention it, even the most flamboyant playboy's Ferrari or Figoni and Falaschi bodied Delahaye usually sported a conservative color scheme.

I am not sure if it was or wasn't at this point. But I kind of think it was. I will check with a fellow that might know. He told me who has the car now.

Update: I found the reply e-mail sent to me on June 14, 2005 by Ron Barnett. I had asked him about "The Easter Bunny".

"Susan, No doubt in my mind that you are referring to Ralph and Margaret Price and their 1929 Model 78. I can't recall the specifics, but the paint scheme was based on an authentic show car used by Marmon. Both have since passed away, but not before leaving a lasting imprint on a lot of people."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 56 Chrysler St. Regis was available only in 3 tone paint. (much to my chagrin)...........Bob </div></div>

Bob, I love those Chrysler tri color combinations.

What is odd regarding all the many color options available for 55 Pontiacs, the red & white color combination was not offered in 55 however it was in 1956. Bolero red was the only red available and polo white and white mist were the only whites available in 1955.

Okay,

I'm game...

56_New_Yorker.jpg

'56 New Yorker St. Regis at <span style="font-style: italic">Auto 100 Parade</span> Detroit, 1996

56_Chrysler_TriTones.jpg

2875555_Imperial_Times_Two.jpg

'55 Imperial at Biltmore House, Asheville, NC

What we're talking about here is as subjective as what clothes you wear, how you do your hair, where you live, etc.

As for a car's color, one should follow judging guides of each marque club when it comes to color changes.

56_Lincoln_Morro_Bay_4_A.jpg

'56 Lincoln Premiere in Taos Turquoise

56_Island_Coral.jpg

Island Coral

56_Lincoln_Amethyst_2.jpg

Amethyst

56_Wisteria_A.jpg

Wisteria

Most clubs allow you to do a color change as long the color used was offered that year;

our '56 Premiere, top, was originally Amethyst, and is now Taos Turquoise.

As for color in the olden days...

33_Packard_Dietrich_Victoria_Ad.jpg

28755Packard_Waterhouse_Asheville_Woodlites.jpg

2875532_Packard_904_Dietrich_3.jpg

Packard Dietrich & Waterhouse Victorias, then and now.

Roadmistress_Roanoke.jpg

http://photos.aaca.org/data/500/medium/Roadmistress_Roanoke.jpg

But then, I drive a Red (Tangerine), (Dover) White, and (Dresden) Blue '57 Buick, so what do I know?

TG wink.gif

(Will someone please turn off the <span style="text-decoration: underline">AACA</span> all caps link so the pic of the Roadmistress comes up? Thanks.