I have been thinking about buying a 50's style cooler to go with my 57 Plymouth. The impetous for this folly is a 50's style drink cooler about 1 gallon in capacity. It is a bit rusty, so I am thinking about painting it red and white to match the car.

So, anyone have any period picnic gear they tote to shows with them?

I have a picnic basket that my family used since before I was born. I use it to store all of my cleaning supplies that I take to the showfield. The picnic basket looks better on the ground near my Model A than a bucket of cleaning supplies would.

Have been accumulating some old camping gear for this purpose. Such as, a Thermos bottle in a leatherette case. An old Coleman cooler, all steel zinc lined. Would like to find a couple of wooden frame sling chairs with the striped awning canvas seats.

And some transistor radios from the 50s and 60s

This stuff not only makes a cool display but it's functional at outdoor shows.

I have a 1963 Heilite tent trailer and a 1962 California Teardrop camper too. I am looking for vintage equipment for the teardrop.

My favorite vintage "camping equipment" is my Amphicar!

This was 3 weeks ago at Glendo, Wyoming.

Take a look at what can happen at the dock if you're not paying attention! I do know those guys. Be warned, there is some "adult" words are spoken.

That chair isn't very old, the same ones are still available at Wally World. 50s era could be aluminium, but would be more likely to have a cloth insert, possibly attached with loops of cloth around the frame. They could also be "directors chair" style, with wood frames. Seeing this thread makes me think that putting together a 30s picnic set for the Zephyr would be pretty cool, Ford stuff would be close enough.

Oddly enough today I saw a pair of the old wooden sling chairs at a thrift store.

But they weren't old ones. At first glance they looked the same. But the wood was skinnier, they had plastic parts, and the canvas wasn't as boldly striped.

I suspect they are still being made, in China probably like everything else these days.

I didn't buy them as they wanted $20 apiece.

At a swap-meet a few months ago I saw a Ford charcoal grill, small, square edges, embossed logo, it was pretty rough and the guy wanted $200, he probably still has it for that. I've heard that they are rare, I don't need one that bad! My dad said that near the end of T production, Henry sold all kinds of crap, and licensed the name for lots of people to make acessories, including camping equipment. I guess that when production was slowing down, the margins were so low that he had to make some changes to keep the cash flowing.

in re: the chairs, the made in China ones are available at Wally-World, new I don't think that they are much more than $20 or so.

Do you know the guy who has the grill?

If he's in Florida I may be interested...... even at a crazy price!

Henry Ford did sell all kinds of stuff from Fertilizer to Food. 99% of this stuff was by products from the plants.

I'm still looking for a Ford Fertilizer bag and a Ford Portland cement bag........

Are you talking about chairs (with a back) or stools with no back. I think I have some wooden fold out stools with canvas seats that I know have been in my family from before I was born in 1960. I don't know how old they are but they have replacement off white canvas seats that were put in them about 20 years ago.

I saw it at the Webster swap meet and show, thats not too far from you. I can't even remember who the guy was, he had mostly junk, a lot of vacuum wiper motors, a couple West-Wind gas heaters, common 50s era hubcaps not in sets, that kind of crap. I don't go there enough to know if he was a regular or not.

I was up there last weekend but didn't see it.

I did score big on a couple Dupont Paint chip books one book goes from 1950-1957 and the other goes from 1963-1972 even imports. Paid 20 bucks for the 2 books that contain over 800 pages between them! One still had it's original binder..

I picked up a Ford Cooling system cleanser can from the mid 40s for 3.00 so it was good for me- tho I didn't find any parts. it's all Small Block Chevy stuff up there- with a bit of overpriced Model A parts thrown in.

But things like the paint chip books and Ford can keep me going back up there....

I'm especially fond of very early picnic sets. Here is a picture of one from the early 1900s in a wicker basket. They turn up occasionally on ebay. Hard to find a nice complete one though.

Terry

post-30751-143137947716_thumb.jpg

This small set for two is also a very early set. The porcelain is marked Sweeden, the unusual knife & fork sets have "Au Dept" on the handles and the wicker is marked "Manufactured in London England" at one side and "John Wanamaker, Motor Section, New York - Phila." on the other. I assume the original silverware was removed when the other set was added. Somewhere I have a later set which looks like a small suitcase - at one time my wife and I would take it on tour along with a portable record player which made for a fun time.

post-32809-143137948466_thumb.jpg

post-32809-143137948467_thumb.jpg

There are some old-VW friends of ours from upstate NY who go all-out with period display accessories for their '56 VW, with items such as vintage snow skis (complete with vintage ski carrier for the VW), vintage cameras, a variety of picnic items, and probably a whole bunch more that I can't think of.

I've also noticed vintage metal *logo'd* Coke coolers (plus coolers logo'd from other competing brands) are also "hot" car show display items.

Guest aussie610

I have a portable gramophone, that I take to some static displays. It tends to go down well with the general public. Take along some swing records and sit by the car and play them. I often end up with a small crowd smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggarmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you were the winner for those chairs Hiram, they went cheap enough. </div></div>

Are you heading East as well?

No, my management division (the wife) told me my budget was now zero for a month or two...

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggarmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw it at the Webster swap meet .... I can't even remember who the guy was, he had mostly junk, .... I don't go there enough to know if he was a regular or not. </div></div> <span style="color: #3366FF">LOL! Sounds like Cecil! He has a trailer full of stuff tied all over it, and several tarps on the ground covered in junk. If that`s who you saw, he IS a regular at Webster, and Reneger`s in Mount Dora. </span>

Just reviving this thread...

I have procured a plaid cooler, a plaid thermos and sandwich set in a plaid bag, a 1957 South Carolina road map, and have a line on a set of aluminum folding chairs. They may not be perfectly 1957, but we'll see.

I am also thinking about poping for a glove box time capsule from JFranklin.

But my flag is really up for what BobT-47P15 did on this thread:

http://plymouthbulletin.com/smf/index.php?topic=1218.0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amphicar BUYER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 1963 Heilite tent trailer and a 1962 California Teardrop camper too. I am looking for vintage equipment for the teardrop.</div></div>

<span style="color: #3366FF">Have you heard of "Tin Can Tourists"? Some of them may be able to help you locate some equipment. Try "Vintage Campers" too. </span>

Tin Can Tourists

Vintage Campers