All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Another vote for Ross. Yes they are more expensive than Egge, but quality is far better and the pistons are lighter and stronger. They do a lot of custom work for race and aircraft, so that size shouldn't be a problem. Paul
  3. Could you please tell us how bad the "eBay Global" shipping deal is? I'm very happy selling overseas, but like doing the man to man postage, eBay doesn't need another cut on the sale. Bob
  4. Well, everyone needs a hearse in their barn. LOL
  5. Steve, What years did he have? I have a 54 Special with 3 speed manual. Always good to have one on hand. Worth? All depends on condition.
  6. Carl: Just for reference. My chassis # for my 1925-25 is 1,283015 Engine# 1,312,686 Hugh's car 1925-25 Chassis # 1,286,534 Engine # 1,350,856
  7. Hello I was at a car show yesterday and met a man that has 4 small series Buick manual transmissions. These seem to be mid fifties or earlier. Is there much interest in the small series ones? What might they be worth? Thanks Steve
  8. Hi Brian, Just saw your reply here. Sorry for the delay. The Maalory carb is currently available. Calls are best 608-332-7405 thanks
  9. That looks completely normal to me. Is that distributor Chrysler or Autolite? It can be fairly common for there to be trouble with the advance, but usually due to drag from rust or crud. A drop of oil goes down under the rotor at tune-up time. There should be an oil wick on top. I don't see it. Super-accelerated wear in the mechanism can come from spark energy leaking down through the center of the rotor, so replace it if there is ever any doubt as to it's condition. (Distributor caps, on the other hand can go on almost forrever as long as they don't crack or carbon track). Those slots for the pins may need to be smoothed if they have a spot that can catch. Dont over do it, and don't screw with them unless they actually catch after being cleaned up. The one loose weight is a compound curve. That is how you get an actual "curve" instead of a straight line. One spring has a loop in it. The whole mechanism pulls on one spring for the first part of the curve, and goes pretty fast. Later on (somewhere around 23-26 crankshaft degrees on a lot of more modern V8 powered stuff), it contacts the other spring, and the advance rate slows way down for the rest of the curve, now that both springs are in play. The length of the slots or maybe the ANGLE of the slots determines how much centrifugal advance you get. Have you disassembled it and cleaned it? If you do, and you should, mark EVERYTHING. You want to keep each weight with the same pin it came from, each spring with the weight it came from and each pin in the slot it came from. Don't stretch the springs or their ends, carefully move them around and unhook them, maybe with a pick. Some or all of these things can be adjustments, depending on the design.
  10. ...and add in condensation inside the distributor cap and "dude you're screwed".
  11. All, Thank you. I did get a call from RM Auctions on Thursday while out of the country and just returned the call today. Looking at Auction Site photos again it is clear that the number listed as the VIN by RM Auctions and the Certificate of Validity by Merrick Museum (See above) is the engine number : 1,319,522 as one of the photos shows the tag on the engine where it should be. I called my Reliable Carrier POCs and asked if someone could look for the Chassis number. However just got voice mail so likely car is on the way to me for delivery Today through Thursday. I think you would agree that even with all that is wrong with the car (even the engine not correct for the 25S) that is it all comes down to the Chassis number and if it falls within the range of 1,273,000 and 1,273,605 as everything else is "Buyer Beware" and I am stuck with it. As it stands the car is not very usable as it stands not being started/driven for who knows how many years as it sat in the "Museum." At least the gas tank and radiator where drained. Assuming I am unsuccessful in voiding the sale I will reach out for advice on how to re-commission the car. Any opinions/advice welcome re my forthcoming discussion/argument w Sothebys welcome. You guys have been VERY helpful and I greatly appreciate it. Cheers, Carl
  12. I have a dist machine and see this problem a lot. This along with the carb has a lot to do in what we call drivability. You will feel the difference. I have both of these machines for fine tuning.
  13. Bernie, Some things never go away, Kinda like riding a bike! You may be a bit rusty (pun intended) but that soon goes away as your mind and hands get it back together. Al
  14. Hello Alan, Thanks for your response. I do have the current and most recent HCCA roster. Yes, it is good for the listed HCCA Locomobiles (early cars). We are hoping to get reference to other cars not involved with the HCCA or even the AACA (later Locomobiles). Just when we think we have a good handle on antique automobile information we learn of other cars/projects hidden away. It surprises me the number of Locomobile cars that are located out of the USA and are simply unknown to most of us....but they are still very relevant. Al
  15. Elbow grease will just have to suffice. Phil
  16. Thanks Stuart: I have sent my inquiry and will see what they say. Yes, I had frustrations with our person in California. Mark had referred me to them 7 or 8 years ago and after many attempted phone contacts and several letters the seeming lack of interest on their part has had me looking elsewhere.
  17. Here in town, we actually have an auto parts store (A&E) that specializes in parts for older cars. I also deal with local marque club members for parts. If they don't have a part, I can usually get a line on a source for it.
  18. I heard from him in a side chat on Google Mail. I believe he contacted the owner of that black '29 Sedan in my 2nd post and it may still be available. A bit of a handful to restore, but someone might enjoy tooling around in a car with a vest-pocket-sized Lycoming straight-eight. Bob said you could drive all day at 60 mph in one of those. The 11 Missing Cars story 8E45E pasted here has a dark-colored 1929 Sport Sedan that's very close to it, but the cowl is different, plus the lights.
  19. Thanks everyone I will forward on the leads. Lahti35 I wonder if he ever thought of knurling the pistons ?
  20. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1125624_2021-buick-regal-leaked
  1. Load more activity