EBAY - 1953 Buick Skylark

billbuickgs

My $.02. When a car is 1 of 1,690 and complete it can be called rare. When all the changes have been made to it like this one has, not so rare anymore.

Something about the car just doesn't look right either, think its just the color. I can appreciate all the work that went into it to make it what it is but to each his own

17 hours ago, KongaMan said:

that car is worth but a fraction of what it could have been

With a little musical accompaniment the owner can reply:

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

To be quite frank about it.

5 hours ago, Rztrike said:

When a car is 1 of 1,690 and complete it can be called rare....

The '53 and '54 Skylarks must have been the

stuff of every boy's dreams back when they were new.

Now, I'll venture to say, they aren't rare in the least;

they are actually very common.  There are probably

two dozen for sale at any given time.

People tend to cherish and restore the specialty models

and the top-of-the-line models, so once-rare cars become

common, and once-common cars become rare.

For instance, try to find an excellent '73 Centurion 2-door hardtop

for sale, or a nice 1967 Wildcat 4-door hardtop for sale--

there are probably zero, because they're 100 times rarer

than the Skylarks.

• Thanks 1

Given what I see anymore at local car shows, I predict that Skylark will sell for every bit of its asking price, even though I wouldn't give two cents for it. This is what 75-80% of the cars are at car shows in my part of the country (northeastern Texas). I walk right past them, but most car show attendees with be enthralled with a car like this and wish it was in their garage.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• Like 2

My comment was on the owner's choice to make changes that made the value less objectively able to determine. The same effort to make it original would have made that easy to "judge".

I have to smile at the "I walk right past them" comment. I'm like that. I walk right past the original lesser models. And thought of slowing down for a modern Buick with a manual transmission... who would ever be attracted to one of those?

Bernie  ?

Things always look worse out of context. I thought Pete would be the first to comment. He walks right past 75-80%  cars in Texas. I just skip the cheap ones.

I used to use the "lesser car" thing on a friend I grew up with when we went out for coffee. If I timed it just right and used the right tone of voice I could get him to make coffee come out his nose. That was Mike. He died a year or so ago. He would be happy to know we used a MoPar radio delete plate to divide his ashes with.

IMG_1024.thumb.jpg.4477e8d77bbb4a889ef5c78a033993fb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i may be new here but as a custom car builder I must chime in. I'm reminded of the sign on the wall of my shop that reads: "Anyone can restore a classic car, but it takes a real man to cut one up!"

But seriously, if the customer wants a custom build, the customer gets a custom build, regardless of the vehicles rarity. Restoration or custom, I can appreciate the effort or creativity that went into it. The only original parts of my '59 Electra, once finished, will be the body and trim.