The Shape of Speed

JACK M

Historically interesting collection of early "streamlining" efforts. While the "shape of speed" exhibit name might be fair (or hyperbole), these vehicles were for the most part IMHO design exercises in reducing wind and air impacts on them, rather than efforts to create speed. Most of them couldn't beat any performance car of their era. As we know, speed in that era was achieved largely by drivetrains predominantly (big powerful V8's or highly developed DOHC's), combined with taut suspensions, lower weights, and low center of gravity. The speed improvements of streamlining have little effect below 100MPH, and most of these vehicles would struggle to make 100. Some of the biggest impacts of streamlining were reduction of road noise, and improved fuel mileage. If you want to see the shape of speed from this era, look at the late 30 grand prix cars of Mercedes and Auto Union, truly magnificent machines. 

It is my understanding that "streamlining" made things worse by increasing drag. They attempted to follow the streamlines as seen by smoke in a wind tunnel. But the longer they kept the smoke on the car, the more drag there was. A bluff body is better in this regard, keeping contact with the air as short as necessary. The rear is then shaped to control the eddies cast by the cut off body, to maintain stability.

Streamlining carried to proper conclusions is very important in reducing drag coefficient, virtually every car built today undergoes wind tunnel testing for such purpose, aimed at reducing drag, improving fuel economy, improving road handling and reducing wind noise etc. Some of the early efforts (like the shark nosed Graham) were more styling exercises, based in part on front noses of early planes. However, planes flew at 300 MPH or more and had wings designed for uplift so the nose shape was not so crucial except to provide a view for the pilot. The design of the back of the car is equally important in allowing the air to pass as smoothly as possible across the entire car (Kammback and spoilers, etc help reduce turbulence and increase down force). The major transportation streamlining project yet to be resolved is transport trucks. While various fiberglass frontal attachments help, those 40' boxes present a seemingly impossible issue drag-wise. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:49 AM, padgett said:

And then there was the "shape of things to come":

280px-1975_Triumph_TR7_3.5_Front.jpg

I actually liked the shape of the TR 7 and TR 8. TR7's were let down by bottom of the barrel mechanical components. Rover 5 speed came too late to save them. And the 4 cyl engine was plagued with problems in any version.  TR8's on the other hand are very nice, just too little, too late, and if I recall correctly a bit too expensive for reasonable sales figures.

TVR's of this era are even worse from a styling point of view. Very good cars under the skin if you can get over their "doorstop" appearance.

Greg in Canada

TVR_Cabrio_1987.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:33 AM, 8E45E said:

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on that museum as I was in that area last weekend.  

I posted some photos I took here----------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?107731-Portland-Art-Museum

Craig

Glad you enjoyed it.

Nice pics by the way.