Insurance

Martin Redmond

I am a UK resident and have driven my  UK registered 1938 Morris 25  registered car around the world and from Argentina to Mexico. I want to drive the car in the United States but cannot find an insurance  company to accept me/my car. I have a clean licence and claims record. I have approached all the usual names Hagerty, Grundy,Progressive etc. who do not want a single car such as this on their books. Does any forum reader know of a patient broker,agent or company who would be willing to look at my case? I have been searching for weeks without success and would be grateful if anybody has a way through this for me.

Most insurance companies do not insure you when driving out of the country.  The biggest exception is that many here allow Canada.

To the original poster, I am doubtful you will find a carrier that will do this unless you can provide an American address where you live and will be keeping your car.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Thank you to all those who responded to me query. Believe me - UK insurers will not extend to US .It may well be that US insurers will extend cover to those of you driving abroad,but perhaps not with your American registered car.

There appears to be no way round this issue and so I will join many Brits who have wanted to drive their cars in your lovely country but cannot do so.Sad but it just cannot be done.

Here's an alternative on a smaller scale:

Join AACA if you haven't already.

Make friends with an American who is active on AACA Tours.

After you get to know him, join him on an AACA tour.

He can drive, you and your wife can ride along.  

Contribute to his cost.  You'll spend 5 days in one

section of America, enjoying the sights, and getting to 

know more AACA members here.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:21 AM, Martin Redmond said:

I am a UK resident and have driven my  UK registered 1938 Morris 25  registered car around the world and from Argentina to Mexico. 

Martin, how did you handle the insurance in

all those other countries?  Won't that same

method work in the United States?  Surely you

didn't have to contact insurance companies in

all those disparate countries.

One of the problems you are facing is that the United States, all 50 of them have separate insurance

regulations.  You English insurance apparently does not want to be compliant with all 50.  Maybe we're more litigious here than there.  Bigdog has a valid point.  

How about the RAC or even your credit card?  I've driven around the UK and several other European countries.  We have always declined rental agency insurance and used the insurance provided by our credit card.

Martin, there is a steady stream of camper vans going in the opposite direction. Arriving in Canada from Europe, then travelling down through the US, and on to the South American loop. Perhaps look at some of the blog sites which cover this type of activity. We spoke to several of them, in Mexico, but I have no knowledge of where their insurance was based. These problems take a bit of working around, but you WILL find a way to do this. Canadian insurance, perhaps? Progressive gave us insurance without any trouble, (as Aliens), but we had purchased a van in California, and had the use of an address in NC.

Good luck, and make it happen. There is a lot of beautiful country to see in the States, and great people.

• Ruler
  •  
  • Bhigdog
  • Members
  • 6,918 posts

Good idea. Makes it easy for the victims lawyer to find you after the accident and for the insurance company to know where to send the letter advising of the pending fraud investigation..................Bob

some folks spend their whole life living in fear.................................

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

some folks spend their whole life living in fear................................. 

And some others spend theirs paying off a legal judgement and a divorce after their wife runs off with the now rich accident victim's lawyer................Bob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

And some others spend theirs paying off a legal judgement and a divorce after their wife runs off with the now rich accident victim's lawyer................Bob

Anybody can sue anybody else, insurance or not. If you don't have insurance don't get into a wreck!  insurance can be obtained to drive in the States, keep trying.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Martin, I am confident that there is a way for you to obtain coverage for driving in the US. 

We have good friends in Cornwall who drove their Austin 7 Chummy, below, from Baltimore to Alaska and then down to Argentina. This was about 2012.  If you send me a PM with your contact info, I'll get you both connected with them to communicate directly.

2b1 A7Guy Eunice alley wave .jpg