AAA Confession

Hi,  my name is AntiqueCraftsman and I'm an Antique Automobile Addict.

I've only recently discovered my obsession.  This spring I bought a 1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportsmaster in near *perfect condition.

* at least it runs.

Later this summer I jumped on a super deal and bought a 1954 Chevrolet 210 that is 100% complete, but far from running.

Today I'm looking at a 1941 Dodge Luxury Liner in near showroom condition (see photo below):

1571216326_1941Dodge.jpg.0905258d8ee82bf55514c6042ed6ca8e.jpg

The only thing that is stopping me from buying it is the fact that my car-hauling trailer is not currently available.  I'm putting a new wooden deck on it.  Otherwise this 1941 Luxury Liner would most likely already be sitting on my trailer.

How do I deal with this insatiable urge to keep adding to my collection of near-showroom condition antique cars?  I'm running out of garage space and I'm even thinking of building another garage just to expand my addiction.

Is there a magic antidote to cure the Antique Automobile Addiction?  Or will I just need to take cold showers and resort to old-fashioned self-discipline tactics?

I tried calling the AAA but all they wanted to do was tow the car home for me!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AntiqueCraftsman said:

my car-hauling trailer is not currently available.  I'm putting a new wooden deck on it.

Just a random first thought, did the car trailer need a deck when you bought it?

Bernie

39 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

There are actually two cures for this condition, (actually three if you are married) one is to run out of money, the second is to die.

(In that case, the one with the most cars wins)

I'm not married so no restraints there.   My sister lives about a thousand miles away so she isn't aware of my addictions (I actually have more than just the AAA).   I am out of money and looking through old jars of coins to scrap up the cash for my next fix.    In fact, now that you have me thinking about it, I have an old coin collection in the attic.  I should probably get that out and put it up on ebay for a quick financial shot in the arm.

Concerning moving on to the afterlife, I know that's right around the corner.  I'm 69 and not in the best of health.  So it's unlikely I'll actually finish a bunch of restoration projects.  But I enjoy working on them so much that finishing them isn't really all that important. ?  That would only mean that I'm ready to run out and buy some more starter projects.

42 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Just a random first thought, did the car trailer need a deck when you bought it?

Bernie

I built my car trailer from scratch about a half a century ago.  This will be the third deck if you count the original.   I just cut the oak 2x6's on the sawmill.  In fact, I'm actually cutting the last log today.  Then I'll remove the old rotten deck.  Give the metal trailer a fresh coat of paint, and install the newly cut and stained oak deck.  Then if the '41 Luxury Liner is still available I might give the new trailer deck it's first payload. ?

25 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

seek treatment asap. Or you might end up owning a few Hudson's.

One thing I've noticed is that my addiction is rapidly moving on to an advance stage.  Originally I was looking for something from the '60's to restore.  Something quick and easy that I could just jump in and drive in short order.   But when I found my '47 Fleetline in far better shape than many of the 60's cars I've seen, I instantly fell in love.  Then I grabbed up on a '54 Chevy just because it was 100% complete and dirt cheap.   Now I'm really not interested in any cars newer than about 1954.    And I'm really attracted to the older cars.  The older the better.   So this '41 Luxury Liner has managed to possess my rem sleep.   It's all I can dream about at the moment.   It's even seeping into my daydreams.

The only down side to the '41 is that it's an automatic "Fluid Drive".   Not sure I can repair that tranny.  That's the only hang-up.  If it were a manual transmission I'd be totally obsessed with getting it.   I almost feel that way with the "Fluid Drive" tranny.

Everyone else sees an old rust bucket sitting in the tingle weeds sunk into the mud.  But here's what I see,... ?

41dodgepics2002.jpg

I'm clearly having hallucinations with this addiction.   But apparently I'm not willing to face this truth.

6 minutes ago, AntiqueCraftsman said:

the '41 is that it's an automatic "Fluid Drive

Oh, that song,

"Did you hear the story of the hot rod race,

where the Dynaflow and Fluid Drive were setting the pace,

Well I'm here to say,

I was walking slow but not in the way."

Do not let anything stop you from jumping in and fixing up an old car. There is a lot of miss information out there on how much work/money goes into these projects. As you will see in this video on youtube, it really only takes about 20 minutes to finish a project car. And what I have found, is most of the work gets done when you come back from commercial. So if you take more commercial breaks, it is like the project finishes it's self. 

If memory serves the fluid drive is just a fluid coupling between the motor and a standard transmission. Don't think there is much to go wrong with them but people usually don't pay attention to the oil level in the coupling unit. I bought a '49 Dodge and when I first got it the slippage was enough you couldn't start on a hill. Adding oil helped a lot and I am not sure I ever figured out how to use it correctly but it got me back and forth to work for a year or two.....

But don't take my word for that - wait for someone that is more familiar with them to chime in.

26 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Do not let anything stop you from jumping in and fixing up an old car

I agree.  I've seen restorations that have started out with far worse starter cars.   At least this '41 Luxury Liner is 90% complete with all the glass windows, motor and transmission.  that's a huge plus for me.   Give me 90% of the parts for a car and I can restore just about anything.   What I  have no interest in restoring is an empty shell of a body even if that body is in immaculate condition.  Trying to find the other 90% of the parts is the costly part.

This '41 Dodge surely won't be anymore work to restore than that 280Z Datsun.  And I'd much rather have the '41 Luxury Liner.  It's an antique like me!  ?

31 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

If memory serves the fluid drive is just a fluid coupling between the motor and a standard transmission.

If that's true, I'm in LOVE already. ?

That sounds like something I might be able to deal with. 

In other words, it's basically a manual transmission with a fluid drive clutch?

That would be extremely sweet!  I could get into that.

In fact, that kind of odd-ball technology is precisely the kind of antique car worth restoring!

I just came in from finishing cutting up the last oak log for the trailer deck.  Next step is to remove the old deck.  Then paint the trailer.  Finally stain the new oak 2x6's and install them.  If this '41 rust bucket is still available when the trailer deck is finished I might be taking a ride to pick it up.

AntiqueCraftsman, my advice (we are the same age) is to enjoy what you can while you can. "Life is short", more then you will ever realize, not that that time worn praise is true in every case.  I would suggest that you have at least one old car that works and you can drive, that will keep your enthusiasm up when you look out and see 2 or 3 or more non working cars. I have collected/owned old (pre war) cars for 55 years, they do "get you through" tough health times which we all eventually face . Got my dream car in 2016 and by December 2017 I was suddenly in the hospital for months coping with open heart surgery and the healing afterwards , plus unexpected set backs. Thinking about the old cars, and once home being able to just go and sit in one does wonders for your outlook on a life that could have easily ended . I am happy that you are happy , old cars can be very good medicine.

You have a deeply rooted condition brought about by your medical condition and age.  You see yourself as not getting enough help to be rescued from your current health situation.  Your reaction is to rescue those helpless sickly cars that don't have someone caring for them.  In the back of your mind you're hoping that, after you pass on, society will recognize your vintage car collection and move in to rescue them, thereby fulfilling your last wishes.

Is there a cure?  First ask, "should this be cured"?  Saving old cars is not a bad thing, especially in the eyes of the folks on this forum.    The first step towards a cure (if one is needed) is the recognition, or self-awareness if you will, that what I described may well be your inner-most thoughts.  When you come to terms with what you're actually thinking and doing, then no further action or 'cure' is needed, because you're now in control of your situation, not the other way around,

OR, it's just a case a car-sickness with a double helping of patina.  Yeah.

• Like 1

I have deeply rooted needs
and a heart that often bleeds
when I see old cars
with age-old scars
abandoned in the weeds

I can't sit by and let them die
I'm overwhelmed with pity
so I tow them home with their rusty chrome
with hopes to make them pretty

They're often dead beyond repair
but I seldom seem to care
I treat them with the innocence
of a childish love affair

A little bit of sanding
a little bit of paint
and suddenly a pile of junk
starts looking rather quaint

A little bit of fiddling
a little bit of cash
and an engine once so silent
begins to sound quite brash

And when she's running on the road
and her life has been restored
all my friends will come around
and tell her she's adored  ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Oh, that song,

"Did you hear the story of the hot rod race,

where the Dynaflow and Fluid Drive were setting the pace,

Well I'm here to say,

I was walking slow but not in the way."

Charlie Ryan is spinning in his grave!  ?

• Haha 1

Look at it this way, there's lots worse things you could be addicted to!  ?

3 hours ago, AntiqueCraftsman said:

If that's true, I'm in LOVE already. ?

That sounds like something I might be able to deal with. 

In other words, it's basically a manual transmission with a fluid drive clutch?

That would be extremely sweet!  I could get into that.

In fact, that kind of odd-ball technology is precisely the kind of antique car worth restoring!

I just came in from finishing cutting up the last oak log for the trailer deck.  Next step is to remove the old deck.  Then paint the trailer.  Finally stain the new oak 2x6's and install them.  If this '41 rust bucket is still available when the trailer deck is finished I might be taking a ride to pick it up.

It's a manual transmission and clutch with a hydraulic coupling instead of a flywheel - kinda like a torque converter without torque multiplication.  You still use the clutch to change gears.  However, it's sorta "automatic" in that you can start, stop, and restart in gear without using the clutch.  But like 60FlatTop's lyrics, acceleration in that mode is painfully slow.  Later versions operated somewhat differently.  FWIW, 1941 was the first year for Fluid Drive in Dodges - DeSoto and Chrysler had it, respectively, one and two years earlier.

4 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

It's a manual transmission and clutch with a hydraulic coupling instead of a flywheel - kinda like a torque converter without torque multiplication.  You still use the clutch to change gears.  However, it's sorta "automatic" in that you can start, stop, and restart in gear without using the clutch.  But like 60FlatTop's lyrics, acceleration in that mode is painfully slow.  Later versions operated somewhat differently.  FWIW, 1941 was the first year for Fluid Drive in Dodges - DeSoto and Chrysler had it, respectively, one and two years earlier.

It sounds intriguing.   At least it's a manual transmission.  That's good.  That part of the car is likely to be fairly easily restored.    You say that "in that mode" it's painfully slow.

Is there an option to not use the fluid drive feature?    I enjoy early engineering ideas.   So this car is gaining my interest even more now than before.   It sounds like it would be a pretty unique collectors car when restored.      I'll need to look into this in more depth.

2 hours ago, AntiqueCraftsman said:

It sounds intriguing.   At least it's a manual transmission.  That's good.  That part of the car is likely to be fairly easily restored.    You say that "in that mode" it's painfully slow.

Is there an option to not use the fluid drive feature?    I enjoy early engineering ideas.   So this car is gaining my interest even more now than before.   It sounds like it would be a pretty unique collectors car when restored.      I'll need to look into this in more depth.

I should have been more specific.  Acceleration from a standing start using Fluid Drive can be slow until the car gets rolling a few mph.

Yes, it can be shifted using the clutch like a manual transmission.

You are in good hands and all is well.  I've been a licensed professional for a long time now.  I have a valid Virginia driver's license and have been a professional accumulator of motoring relics for many years.  I write regular articles and others often seek me out for advice.  I've found the best therapy is to attend regular support group meetings.  The group is AACA and there is surely a local chapter near you that you can join.  Our local chapter is the Tidewater Region.  You can read more at our website http://www.traaca.com/
You'll soon have everything under control and will learn from others with similar issues - what size of garage to build, etc. 

Enjoy!

Terry

• Haha 1

I think there are more than a few of us counting on a rapid medical breakthrough that will extend old car project owners lifetimes to about 250 years or so. Quite a few of us seem to have enough projects to last at least that long.

And you may be on to something with the Freud  linking everything to sex, except that there seems to be an inverse relationship between project cars arriving home and a joyful , exuberant mood with my wife.  I think she may be trying to tell me something .

Greg in Canada

• Haha 1

My sister actually likes my '47 Chevy Sportsmaster and said that now that I have such a cool-looking car maybe I'll finally be able to get a girlfriend.

That's encouraging,....

I think,...

Or maybe not.  Freud might be right.  Just thinking about sex might be better than having to deal with all the baggage that comes with the actual act.

Being a celibate monk I wouldn't know. ?

It's GONE!

I missed it!   I have the old deck off my trailer and the new deck is all cut.   I'm in the process of painting the trailer and staining the decking.  It will probably be a week yet before I get it all back together again.   In the meantime someone else bought my dream car.    When you see a deal like this you really need to jump on it.   This car was 100% complete, all the glass is in it and not broken, it had the original flathead 6 cyl engine, transmission and rear axle.   All the seats are in it and all the interior door handles.  And I missed it!

BOO HOO!

The good news is that someone else is going to restore it, hopefully.   Unless they bought it as a parts car.

Or they might make it into a rat rod.   YUCK!

1571216326_1941Dodge.jpg.0905258d8ee82bf55514c6042ed6ca8e.jpg

Edited by AntiqueCraftsman (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Some times we all get lucky.:lol:

Truly. ?

I really can't afford to by another project car right now anyway.  But gee, I've been having alerts sent to me from several  classified web sites, and I can assure you that you seldom see a car that old that is 100% complete in terms of all original parts, for a price that i can "afford".   Even if it means scraping the bottom of by budget barrel.

You just don't see that many old cars that are so complete.   Most of them are missing all the glass, or the motor and tranny are missing.  Or worse yet, half the body isn't even there, and they often want quite a bit more money for those ghosts of a car.

At least this one was complete.  That's what gets me all wound up.   Give me a car that has all the parts and I'll definitely bring her back to life.   But give me a shell of a car that is missing major parts and you're talking $$$$$$ just to do anything with it.   Where are you going to find the parts to put it back together without paying through the gazoo?

I'll have to grab my guitar and play a few rounds of "While my guitar gently weeps" until I get over this trauma.

"I don't know how someone controlled you

They bought and sold you"

No doubt about it, anything decent is pricy these days. The demand by ;and buying power of, a decent percentage of "the boomers" is a major influence on the hobby car market. 

People in my generation; I am 60 now and just at the tail end of "the boomers" , were often hit hard in both the 1980's recession when starting in our careers and the 2007 crash as we were in the later stages of our careers.

We as a group seem to be quite a bit less affluent than those 10 years or more older.  Everything from retirement plans to advancement in the workforce has been difficult for many in my generation. 

And over time I can see a possibility that many lower end and mid value cars will decline in price as the boomers age out of the hobby. 

I am sure that the top 20% of cars will always attract strong prices, the remainder is not so much of a sure thing.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I'm really not in a position to be buying old project cars at any price actually.   But since I've been looking at them for over the past year, anything that is older than 1950 and is close to 100% complete and is under a grand is basically a "steal" I would think.  You can hardly not at least get what you paid for it back out of it and most likely far more than that, even if all  you did was part it out.   So it's not much of a financial risk to pick one up.  To the contrary, it's basically an investment even if you don't touch the car.  In some cases (and this was probably one of them) you could probably turn it around for quick profit just by buying it and reselling it via a different venue for at 2 or 3 times what you paid for it.

Although my intention was to actually restore it.  At least to running condition if nothing else.   But even in running condition it would bring a far higher price.

I just see so many "Ghosts-of-a-car" going for far more.   In fact, another ad that when up at the same time as this '41 Dodge was a '48 Packard.   The '48 Packard has no engine, no transmission, no interior.   It did have all the glass which was a plus.   But they also were asking more than twice the price of the '41 Dodge.   Twice the price for half the car.

It could be that a '48 Packard will bring a higher price than a '41 Luxury Liner.   I have no clue about that.  But for me, the main consideration is how complete the car is.   If a car is pretty close to 100% complete with all the glass, engine, transmission, seat frames and door handle hardware that a huge PLUS for me.   And if it's also under a grand it's got my interest.  

I'll keep looking.  More will come along I'm sure.  I've seen them before and I'll see them again.   You just got to be ready to JUMP on them.  That's all.

I had already rebuilt the flat-head engine of this '41 Luxury Liner in my  dreams.   It was running really smooth too!   I was about ready to take the car out for a spin when I woke up and saw that it was already sold!  What a bummer!

I found another one.  Although I wouldn't even bother restoring this one.  I'd just jump it in and drive it as is.   It has a 261 truck engine in it and an automatic transmission.

'51 Chevy 2-door

00P0P_3DouzWXjblh_600x450.jpg

But it also comes with this additional '49 chassis and 235 engine:

00w0w_18v0renvMc6_600x450.jpg

I wonder if that '49 chassis would fit under my '54 body?

This sounds like a good deal for me.  A car I can just jump in and drive away plus a chassis and spare engine for my '54 restoration project?

Now the only question is whether this deal will still be around by the time I get my trailer done?