Need advice on time capsule 1964 Chrysler Newport

jkordzi

Hi Folks,
This is my first post. My wife came into possession of a 1964 Newport 4 door with 14K original miles. It was owned by a little old lady (honestly) and has been garaged since the late 1960s to early 1970s when she became too old to drive. It's been in my wife's family in a barn since about 1990. It is completely original and even has the original tube tires. The jack has never been removed from the trunk. The car is absolutely immaculate - all the paint and chrome is exceptional and the interior is perfect. It has the 361 engine and auto trans. We would like to sell it. My question is, in order to get the best price, should I service it and get it in running condition, or do nothing and sell it as is. I'm sure the gas tank would have to be removed and cleaned, brakes serviced, carb rebuilt, all fluids changed, etc. I've just finished restoring a 1965 Mustang Fastback and have a full shop so doing the work would be no problem. Thanks for any advice.

Pictures would be welcome.  The worst think that can be done to a nice old car is let it set for such a long time.  Any buyer would need to assume the worst. Gaskets, seals, bushings, etc may have all suffered from just sitting.    We hear stories all the time about taking cars out of barns, adding some gas, oil, a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil and a fresh battery and away they go.  I believe those are the lucky ones.   No experience myself tho. 

Terry

If doing the work is 'no problem' it will help sell the car. (driving cars will sell way before project cars)

Being low mileage and original is a plus but this is not the most desirable car.

There is a 63 and a 64 that keep getting relisted on Ebay that don't seem to get any bids. (both Newports)

I also see these on the local Craig's list getting relisted at a couple of thousand but don't sell.

All those that are my age want two doors, I see some four doors at the shows on occasion being driven by younger guys.

A ready to drive four door would be a good car for a young family, however these guys are having to spend their money raising families so cant pay much for a car like this.

Leave it alone.  You can only find problems and issues.  It’s a cool thing but let’s face it they won’t be 500 people in line for it at its maximum value.  I think a hard-core collector who wants something of this type of car would rather be the one to restart  it and sort it out.  Please post a picture.  What’s the motivation for selling it versus keeping it?  Sadly probably won’t be a tremendous windfall. 

• Like 1

If you have a shop and know what you're doing I would say get it running and put a set of radial wide whites on it. Wash it and clean up the interior too. There are still a lot of people who like 4 doors so it's still a nice time capsule especially with the super low miles on it. As others have said, please post some pics and tell us where it is and check back in here occasionally and tell us what you've done to it. Good luck....

• Like 1

Since you have a shop and know what you are doing you could put the car back into commission. But it is unlikely you would recoup the cost of doing so.

Probably the best value for money would be to wash and clean the car, get it running if you can do so without spending too much money and let it go at that.  A running driving car will sell for more but going beyond that you can easily put more into the car than you can get out.

This is too obvious but if you have any parts, manuals etc they should go with the car. It may not raise the price but anyone who is at all savvy will appreciate it.

The June 2018 issue of Hemmings Classic Car had a good write up on these cars and how they are a good value and often overlooked by the old car community.  Might want to find an issue and see what they have to say as you make your decisions.

Thanks.  The car is in NW Arkansas.  I have pictures but can't post them because my cell reception is pretty spotty.  But we're heading back to Dallas tomorrow so I'll be able to get them posted in a few days.  BTW, I'll never sell the Mustang - it was a rotisserie restoration :)

• Like 1