Snubber catalogue ?

Dodge1934

I acquired about 15 or so snubbers this past year. A lot of them have number and letters on them like ....2b....,No 2....,3... etc.

Does anybody have any reference material on Gabriel snubbers... I do have a couple of off brands as well

Any Help is appreciated

33 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Is this the sort of thing you are asking about? Friction shock absorbers?

http://hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1927/GabrielSnubbers-SkinnedKnucklesArticle.pdf

Great information for sure and it is much appreciated... I haven`t read it yet but looks very informative.

I am hoping somebody has some manufacturers literature where they show what snubber model number  is best for which cars.

Spinneyhill what great information, thank you for putting that link on there. My 1928 Durant has Gabriel Snubbers that I have to assemble after restoration of all the pieces. I purchased some new brass to use and snubber material, which is really getting hard to find. This article was very very helpful as it tells how to assemble the units back to good as new again. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All - At Hershey this year I walked into a somewhat messy tent and started digging thru old boxes. There in a ratty box were 8 full-length Gabriel Snubber belts, NEW OLD STOCK, with a thick rubber band holding them together. They were complete with never used brass/copper heads and the several shiney correct brass/copper plate slides riveted to the new belts. The proprieter said she didn't know what they were and then said ""five dollars each". After gasping, I said that these were snubber belts and insisted on giving her $15 each. Wow does this save me a lot of rebuild work!!

LUCKY RON

• 1 year later...

I would have thought that there was a Gabriel Snubbers application chart, but I have never seen one.  I would really like to know what is correct for my car.  There are several other brands out there as well.  I will provide some information here though.   

Data below is from #2 Gabriel Snubbers

With the introduction of Balloon tires (Buick introduced them in 1925), snubbers changed.  Below is a comparison of #2 Gabriel Snubbers.  One #2 snubber set came from a 1922 Buick 6 cylinder, the other #2 set being designed for Balloon tires as the sheet metal can cover says “Balloon”.  Internal parts also have several changes.  See the comparison chart.

#2 Gabriel Snubber

#2 Gabriel Balloon snubber

# stamped in Cover bolt head

Spring length (inch)

spring ID

Spring OD

wire size

Other Changes for Balloons :

1) Heavier Sleeve Casting used

2) Addition metal band added (in steel, not brass)

IMG_8839s.thumb.JPG.b2b3986f3a882f9e52974cc3fa19c8b4.JPGIMG_8844s.thumb.JPG.c5b0115a79a592e2da6a001cfd8a600f.JPG

That being said, I am trying to put these snubbers together.  I want to make the 2 Balloon snubbers work temporarily for now as I will likely need webbing to do all four.  I was going to put the lighter "non balloon" style on the rear.  

Is this a correct assumption? 

The “sleeve casting” must be very smooth on the belt surface.  Many times this surface has become rusty and it must be restored.  This is what you will find if you do not get the sleeve casting smooth.  The inner webbing needs to ride over the top of the sleeve casting and follow the brass in operation.  If the sleeve casting is not smooth and lubricated, the webbing will slide against the brass and the webbing will bunch up between the base and the sleeve casting.   Yet there is a hole in the sleeve casting, and that does not make it easy for the inner webbing to slide over the sleeve casting.  Anyone know if this bunching is correct?  Hugh

IMG_8842.thumb.JPG.c86e4adb91d59c3b63402eca09887056.JPG1364785862_IMG_8838slabeled.thumb.JPG.40f20677f99b3191b96bc1eaff39c795.JPG

821852580_installingasnubber.thumb.JPG.53f248b24e7fd63c041351e6dcfeec18.JPG

• 4 months later...

hi Hubard; do you have the reverse page of these very interesting Manufacturer instructions? Thanks; JRA