I'm not usually into Rat Rods, but this "Buick" ...

DLynskey

This "Buick" seen at a SC cruise-in shows an incredible amount of imagination, humor and talent. And no irreplaceable Buicks were sacrificed.

Don

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.3661e9bb73ea4d6005d210920ad1bb8a.JPG

IMG_0046.thumb.JPG.3af62e782402012603aebef23b401f63.JPG

IMG_0044.thumb.JPG.b6e241ba642d3ca10e274e1a3b5cd1b2.JPG

There are subtle Buick touches throughout, including the emblem atop the homemade fuel injector that rotates with the throttle position.

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.81da75d71a48abe88fc20f2cc89f3aa7.JPG

So this is where the shifter "boot" got its name.

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.ad75e8715aa131c858b49acfe4a6342b.JPG

Edited by DLynskey
clarify (see edit history)
  • Like 3

That is nicely done.  Although some folks are not fans of the Rat Rod genre, I admire the creativity that goes into the design/build of many of them.  Some Rat Rods are truly junk while, at a distance, others merely appear to be junk; however upon closer inspection, many Rat Rods are very well designed and built.  There's one thing about Rat Rods: the owners don't take themselves or their cars too seriously.  While I don't believe that the Rat Rod concept is compatible with the AACA philosophy, most AACA members are just a bunch of "gear heads" and welcome the  opportunity to see any unusual automobiles or machinery.  The Rat Rod concept is sorta like a poor man's Blastolene vehicle.  Here's a link to an explanation of the Blastolene concept:

http://www.blastolene.com/Blastolene_Cars.htm

It's all good.

Cheers,

Grog

P.S.  One of my cars is a Rat Rod:D.

• Like 2

DavidAU;

Anyone can see that the "... exhaust pipes under the back bumper." are cleverly disguised, hooded rendezvous lights to assist in the docking of the "Mother Ship".  This technology was key to the success of the KC-97 aerial refueling tankers of Cold War era fame and obviously stolen from Boeing.  The trunk does not house an engine, but rather a magnetomegananopyrohyperkinetic fuel cell for replenishing the thirsty drives of the "Mother Ship".  The fuel cell itself is charged by a hidden Ram Air Turbine (RAT) which can be extended into the slipstream of this speeding RAT Rod.  Sheesh, anybody knows this stuff!   Oh, yeah, the trunk also houses a beer

cooler:D

As to the other features of this Rat Rod:

What engine is that in the Rat Rod?  I looks sorta like a an old 1950's - 1960's vintage Oldsmobile Rocket V-8.  The use of a "Rocket" V-8 is perhaps another clue to the uncanny relationship between this Rat Rod and the "Mother Ship".

I have yet to figure out the induction system.  It does appear that there are injectors and a fuel rail in the mix there, so maybe it is some kind of port injection system.  Does anyone on the Forum recognize the induction system?

Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Grog

Weather you like it or not theres a lot of talent in that car. I see a lot of thought and creativeity in it rather than the same old fiberglass body and chev driveline that everyone else builds. Isnt hot rodding about building something unique using spare parts? Or is it paying a professional shop to build you a rod from new parts in a catalog thats just like everybody else?

Someone spent a lot of time building that and thought out all the little details. He doesnt care if you like it. He likes it. Thats the point. But saying you want to smash it with a hammer is pretty uncool. There are people who hate Edsels and other horrible cars that the automakers built but you guys love and you would all go crazy if a hot rodder came in and said he wanted to smash an Edsel with a hammer. Why not give them the same respect?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, billorn said:

Weather you like it or not theres a lot of talent in that car. I see a lot of thought and creativeity in it rather than the same old fiberglass body and chev driveline that everyone else builds. Isnt hot rodding about building something unique using spare parts? Or is it paying a professional shop to build you a rod from new parts in a catalog thats just like everybody else?

Someone spent a lot of time building that and thought out all the little details. He doesnt care if you like it. He likes it. Thats the point. But saying you want to smash it with a hammer is pretty uncool. There are people who hate Edsels and other horrible cars that the automakers built but you guys love and you would all go crazy if a hot rodder came in and said he wanted to smash an Edsel with a hammer. Why not give them the same respect?

I prefer cars to remain as they came from the factory.

You're adding words to my post. I didn't say anything about smashing it, You did. I just said it needed finishing with the hammer. Someone could get creative with a sledge hammer too and that would take some real talent and finesse.

I just don't think this kind of creativity belongs on a site dedicated to preserving automobiles as they left the factory.

9 minutes ago, Bleach said:

I prefer cars to remain as they came from the factory.

You're adding words to my post. I didn't say anything about smashing it, You did. I just said it needed finishing with the hammer. Someone could get creative with a sledge hammer too and that would take some real talent and finesse.

I just don't think this kind of creativity belongs on a site dedicated to preserving automobiles as they left the factory.

"I didnt really say smash it." Yea ok sure. We can all see what you plainly meant. Own your words, man.

Regardless of what site the words were said on, it was unkind. I promise such words would be unwelcome if someone else said that about your car. What harm does that car or the owner do to you? Have you ever put in that much work on a car? What if some nobody came along and said he wanted to smash your car after you did all that work?

Let me ask you one last thing and then I'll leave you alone. Would you say what you said to the owner's face? Maybe let that be your guide for when to talk and when to keep your peace. We all say things we regret. Own it and move on. Its OK to make mistakes.

49 minutes ago, billorn said:

"I didnt really say smash it." Yea ok sure. We can all see what you plainly meant. Own your words, man.

Regardless of what site the words were said on, it was unkind. I promise such words would be unwelcome if someone else said that about your car. What harm does that car or the owner do to you? Have you ever put in that much work on a car? What if some nobody came along and said he wanted to smash your car after you did all that work?

Let me ask you one last thing and then I'll leave you alone. Would you say what you said to the owner's face? Maybe let that be your guide for when to talk and when to keep your peace. We all say things we regret. Own it and move on. Its OK to make mistakes.

When I say what I had in the beginning it was said to poke fun. I honestly don't like it but I wouldn't physically take a sledge hammer to it no more than I would take a knife to someone's "creation" I didn't like in an art gallery.

If this thing was displayed among other rat rods, I wouldn't say anything. If it was the only rat rod among original and restored vehicles I would share my opinion with the owner that I didn't like it and didn't belong in the same show field.

Peace.

• Like 1

When I was 11 or 12 there was an old man who lived in one of the houses on my Grandparent's farm. He took care of the town dump and pulled a small trainer with him every day. The house was surrounded by scrap metal, newspapers, burned copper wire, and bundles of newspapers.

My cousins and I found his hiding place for those airbrushed nudist magazines of the 1950's. That car made me remember those days. I guess young guys don't find magazines like that anymore. Well, somehow that thought connected.

Bernie