Beemon

Me and my beautiful 1956 Buick

Maybe 'before' & 'after' pics for your signature are in order!  ;)

• Like 1

I was thinking about trying to recreate that picture the other day. A before and after would be pretty cool. 

• Like 1

Ben...the car is looking sharp!  Exciting thing is you haven't even done a full restoration yet.  Can you post some pictures from the rear?  Looking foward to more updates.  Also, glad you got to the end of the tunnel with the engine ordeal.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words, Kosage! Engine won't be sorted until I have it rebuilt again. I think the term is frame on restoration. :P or budget restoration... One piece at a time

20180702_153102.jpg

• Like 6

I prefer the term "Rolling Restoration"!  You are going to cringe with that new paint job going over those mountain passes in the winter when those trucks shower you with the sand/gravel mix they drop on the road that time of year!  

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

I prefer the term "Rolling Restoration"!  You are going to cringe with that new paint job going over those mountain passes in the winter when those trucks shower you with the sand/gravel mix they drop on the road that time of year!  

3 car lengths. Lol I really need it, though. Last year I was smart and brought it back during Thanksgiving with the mountain pass storms. It would have never made it, even with chains I think. If in keep it year round, I'll have to go to Vancouver through the canyon and come up I5.

I ordered some stone guards for the headlights, though. It didn't happen to me, but last year this guy locally split the glass on his seal beam because of gravel throwing on the pass after snow melt. I have a conversion kit for the headlights that makes them an H4 bulb but they're also glass. 

The paint I'm not too worried about. Its not perfect by any means and my grandfather already caught his balance on the front fender. 

Tonight I put on my new pedals. I couldn't find a blue power brake pad anywhere so the pedals are black on the blue floor. Carpet should be arriving tomorrow or Friday, then I can lay down new insulation. I also purchased an exhaust kit from Marty Johnson. The last dual exhaust mufflers he's seen in a while, NOS. I remember seeing a cut away of the Buick mufflers, they're reminiscent of modern turbo mufflers with no packing. I don't know if this is true for 56, but I'm excited none the less. These magnaflows have got to go. 

Happy 4th everyone! (In the US)

20180704_133826.jpg

20180704_210910.jpg

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 4

The canyon?  That’s an awfully long way around and you still wouldn’t avoid some mountain passes and high roads.  Beautiful drive in the summer but I’m not sure it’s better than what you have in the winter!  The drive from Vancouver to Castlegar/Trail area (north of the border from Spokane) is 7 hours going the southern route in the winter depending on conditions. Probably at least 11 hours going the canyon just to Vancouver with another 2.5 to Seattle 

9 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

The canyon?  That’s an awfully long way around and you still wouldn’t avoid some mountain passes and high roads.  Beautiful drive in the summer but I’m not sure it’s better than what you have in the winter!  The drive from Vancouver to Castlegar/Trail area (north of the border from Spokane) is 7 hours going the southern route in the winter depending on conditions. Probably at least 11 hours going the canyon just to Vancouver with another 2.5 to Seattle 

That's 4 extra hours he gets to drive the Buick...nothing wrong with that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had looked into it before, it's a 9 hour drive projected. I wouldn't look forward to it either way, but there's a lot less people going that way and having driven my Jeep through the pass in chain conditions, that's a route I'd like to avoid at all costs. Lots of kids coming home for Christmas that have never driven on snow... not impossible for sure but I'd rather not take that chance. 

5 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Put a Bra on it!

Only if a 55.

Those things are hideous.  I call them muzzles or condoms (depending on the owner's personality).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, old-tank said:

condoms

Not sure if I want to know! 

• Haha 1

This past weekend I hack sawed the then current exhaust out of my car and installed NOS mufflers and new pipes. What a world of difference. You can actually talk at highway speeds without having to talk over the exhaust andthe radio doesn't need to be turned all the way up to listen to it anymore. The annoying undercarriage noise went away, too, which i assumed was the Magnaflow muffler hitting the floor board. No more of that! 

I also replaced all the rubber strap hangers with FLAPS exhaust hangers. I just cut off the metal hanger part and then cut to length. I also bought the generic loop hanger to hang the rear pipes over the axle. Overall it was pretty easy to swap out, although it took me 5 hours to do one side each day. Most of the time was hack sawing the existing pipes on my back... lol Thankfully I kept all my old hangars for reference! 

The first movie i saw that showcased a dual exhaust 50s muscle car was Christine. It had this interesting chugging noise on acceleration in the film and it was my ideal sound for the car. These new mufflers sound exactly like that 58 Fury.

Now all I really have left to do is check out the front brakes and repack my bearings. There's an awful grinding noise coming from both sides. These drums are second hand and barely have any surface to them so I think the shoes are expanding too far and causing issue. I was hoping someone would chime in with some 45 fun drums since a huge inventory was advertised recently but I can't wait much longer and I'm probably going to order some repro drums. 

My next big project is definitely going to be buying a steering box conversion. This gear box needs to go and I'm not going to spend another huge amount to pay an expert to rebuild another old box (spoiler alert, they just replace the gaskets apparently). I might do some research into a steering rack conversion, but these 50s Buicks have huge A arms and the steering rack pivot needs to be at the centerline of the upper and lower control arm pivot.

I was also teasing the idea of taking 57-58 A arms and adapting them to the 56 to eliminate the king pins, but that's more of a pipe dream. 

Oh, I posted a while ago about an H4 conversion bulb, but it just didn't feel right. At the FLAPS, all I've been able to find for seal beams are Wagner and Sylvannia - both leave something to be desired. Yesterday I found some GE Nighthawk bulbs and thought I would try them out. To my surprise, they are a quality bulb! It's a shame GE is selling their bulb business, because i highly recommend them! 

Anyways, today a dragon fly landed on my antenna. It must be good luck or just good vibes for the exhaust swap!

20180716_112905.jpg

• Like 3

I'm running the regular Sylvania halgon and find them to be quite fine.. That being said they also offer the Xtra vision and silverstar lines in this bulb as well..o'reilly carries them in stock.. The factory 6024 .. If you're running h4 then they even have the silverstar ultra as well.

Edited by 1956322 (see edit history)

Not running H4 anymore. I think the GE bulb just has a more crisp pattern and beam from my personal experience. Without changing the aiming of the headlights, they seem brighter and shoots further. I wish I could find the Nighthawk Sport, its it's a more natural white light versus yellow.