Fix for door jamb switches

rodneybeauchamp

Fed up with the intermittent operation of both door jamb switches? 

I tried fixing mine before and figured it was worth a second look. Had tried some spray some time back but both switches were not 100% reliable. Eventually stopped working altogether on passenger door as it got worse after putting new rubber boots on.

Figured it was a poor earthing problem so after cleaning all the inside contacts soldered a light earth wire to the metal housing that is supposed to ground to the body. Also soldered a terminal to the other end of the wire,  attached it to a good ground under the screw that holds the power window relay on the LHS and one screw that holds a kick panel support on the RHS.

The solder point on the switch body required a good cleaning for the solder to take and the wire needs to be well clear from any of the three contacts. Now these switches will work even when out of their location, proving the ground was this issue!

Hope this helps.

Rodney

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Rodney

This is a very cool contribution, wich I bet will help a lot of people, me included 'cos I plan to renew these door jambs next couple of weeks because they often are flackering.

A cool idea to solder a wire on the ground pole of the housing and fix it somewhere it is well grounded... I probably will do it exactly the same as you mentioned above, very good job! ???

I've been repairing the grounds the same way since the 70's on the Rivs & all the full size GM cars that use the same set-up. You would be better off buying the new belinum (sp) parts from the advertiser who rebuilds the switches. I have bought just the parts from the previous owner.

Tom T.

40 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Gord Wolfgang rebuilds you originals with new parts.  His handle on this forum is MSDWINC. Or find his adapters I  the Riview.

adapters ???  Should be ad.  As I say more often than not, "effing predictive text"

I rebuilt those switches years ago.  The only trouble I've had since was related to a bad ground (which may well have been the problem then, but I decided to be a little more comprehensive in my repair effort).  Making sure it's metal on metal where it pushes in and a light coat of OxGard and they've been trouble free for years.

• 3 months later...
On 7/31/2017 at 7:36 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Fed up with the intermittent operation of both door jamb switches? 

I tried fixing mine before and figured it was worth a second look. Had tried some spray some time back but both switches were not 100% reliable. Eventually stopped working altogether on passenger door as it got worse after putting new rubber boots on.

Figured it was a poor earthing problem so after cleaning all the inside contacts soldered a light earth wire to the metal housing that is supposed to ground to the body. Also soldered a terminal to the other end of the wire,  attached it to a good ground under the screw that holds the power window relay on the LHS and one screw that holds a kick panel support on the RHS.

The solder point on the switch body required a good cleaning for the solder to take and the wire needs to be well clear from any of the three contacts. Now these switches will work even when out of their location, proving the ground was this issue!

Hope this helps.

Rodney

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Rodney, Thank You for the pics and explanation.My passenger side door jam switch is on the fritz,  repair is in order.

thank You,

Red Riviera Bob

And if that doesn't work, Gord does a great repair with new plunger contacts. I had one of mine repaired through his service and very happy. His member details are msdminc and sure he might chime in here too. I still used the extra earth wire as I did not want to take the paint away from the jamb area. ???????

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

And if that doesn't work, Gord does a great repair with new plunger contacts. I had one of mine repaired through his service and very happy. His member details are msdminc and sure he might chime in here too. I still used the extra earth wire as I did not want to take the paint away from the jamb area. ???????

Gordon did both of my door jamb switches. They have performed flawlessly. He charges a minimal amount to redo these switches. Cheap and dependable fix with a quick turnaround to solve a big headache. Highly recommended.

Bill

On 11/6/2017 at 5:19 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

The

On 11/6/2017 at 7:34 AM, Riviera63 said:

Gordon did both of my door jamb switches. They have performed flawlessly. He charges a minimal amount to redo these switches. Cheap and dependable fix with a quick turnaround to solve a big headache. Highly recommended.

Bill

Thank you, understood. Will take action on the door jam switch. Did you ever find a solution for scratch removal?

Red Riviera Bob

On 7/31/2017 at 4:59 PM, KongaMan said:

I rebuilt those switches years ago.  The only trouble I've had since was related to a bad ground (which may well have been the problem then, but I decided to be a little more comprehensive in my repair effort).  Making sure it's metal on metal where it pushes in and a light coat of OxGard and they've been trouble free for years.

Mr. Konga man, for what it is worth 60Flatop gave a tip on grounding a wire to the metal socket. i was having trouble getting the solder to and the copper stranded wire to stick. 60Flatop said something to this effect: spread the copper strands out in a fan shape and try soldering them in that fashion. My luck seemed to improve with my grounding.

Red Riviera Bob